Highway Driver Types

Joeb

I'd just like to expand on this creature, which I encounter virtually every single day:

"The U-Turner – This is a guy who knows that somewhere in the next 5km he will need to make a U-turn so to prepare himself he gets in the right lane, slows to 50km/hr and drives there until he reaches the U-turn."

Let's not forget the next twist in this routine ... coming to rest half way in the u-turn lane and half way across into the high-speed lane ... coz it's just too rough on the vehicle to turn the steering wheel to full lock. Hmmm, now let's add to the fun by having people coming from the opposite direction doing the same thing. And now some motorcyclists to crowd around the leading car to block any remaining sightline for oncoming traffic.

And then along comes the final player to join this dance with death ... the driver that sees too many people lined up to turn right/U-turn and decides to form a new U-turn lane in the centre lane ... leaving just the kerbside lane for anyone who might want to keep going straight

In my last house, I faced that whole scenario several times a day because the only way out of my place was a u-turn which had the added benefit of being at the end of fast corner where cars typically drove 80+.

Of course they planted trees in the median so there was no way to know when the next Michael Shumaker was about round the bend in top gear.

You forgot the worlds slowest overtakers, although generally not on Motorways on "A" roads where they pass another car at a slower speed than the two lorries overtaking, its like watching a slow motion overtake................incredible.

I also bet there are no drag racers in Thailand, wait at any traffic lights and pull off at a moderate pace and they are all still more or less at the lights despite inching forwards before they have actually changed they then dawdle off to pass you a mile later at about 150km/hour etc

You forgot the worlds slowest overtakers, although generally not on Motorways on "A" roads where they pass another car at a slower speed than the two lorries overtaking, its like watching a slow motion overtake................incredible.

I also bet there are no drag racers in Thailand, wait at any traffic lights and pull off at a moderate pace and they are all still more or less at the lights despite inching forwards before they have actually changed they then dawdle off to pass you a mile later at about 150km/hour etc

I'm a drag racer in LOS. laugh.png Wasted l know but l am here. intheclub.gif

I'd just like to expand on this creature, which I encounter virtually every single day:

"The U-Turner – This is a guy who knows that somewhere in the next 5km he will need to make a U-turn so to prepare himself he gets in the right lane, slows to 50km/hr and drives there until he reaches the U-turn."

Let's not forget the next twist in this routine ... coming to rest half way in the u-turn lane and half way across into the high-speed lane ... coz it's just too rough on the vehicle to turn the steering wheel to full lock. Hmmm, now let's add to the fun by having people coming from the opposite direction doing the same thing. And now some motorcyclists to crowd around the leading car to block any remaining sightline for oncoming traffic.

And then along comes the final player to join this dance with death ... the driver that sees too many people lined up to turn right/U-turn and decides to form a new U-turn lane in the centre lane ... leaving just the kerbside lane for anyone who might want to keep going straight

In my last house, I faced that whole scenario several times a day because the only way out of my place was a u-turn which had the added benefit of being at the end of fast corner where cars typically drove 80+.

Of course they planted trees in the median so there was no way to know when the next Michael Shumaker was about round the bend in top gear.

Four times a week I have to drive the Saraburi - Bangkok highway and make a u-turn. Real arse clinching stuff looking for a gap in the constant traffic. My one relief is where a 10 wheeler or bus wants to make a u-turn too and comes up on the outside of me and pulls straight out causing the oncoming traffic to come to a panicked brake squealing standstill allowing me to put the pedal to the metal and scoot off safe and sound.

Wow - a really original thread about Thai driving standards. Never seen that before.

Fact is, there are variants of the 'types' mentioned by the OP in most western countries in which I've driven, and whatever their faults, the Thais don't display the self-righteous aggression which characterises most drivers in the UK, who all seem to think to think that they are wonderful and lapse into paroxysms of rage at the slightest perceived fault of others around them.

Bangkok excepted, I find driving in Thailand less stressful than driving in the UK

bad drivers are everywhere especially Thailand but I do agree with your statement about driving in the U.K especially greater London where there are those of asian and african origin are prevelant, I had the misfortune to drive through Ilford just outside the east end on a Sunday the other week and it kind of reminded me of driving in Thailand, lots of people muscling for their spot but refusing to acknowlege there were others on the road who had the right of way!

I agree, I am much less stressed driving here than driving back in the US. There, I hated that stomach sinking feeling when seeing a cop - never knew if I was going to be the next guy on the evening news, being beaten and tazed for no reason and having the video shown for all to see. Or worse, the prevalent road rage there. Someone mentioned earlier about doing a brake check on a tailgater. Well, in Detroit or any 'hood, that sh!t will get you killed! Just making eye contact will get your @ss beat sometimes. At least here, we can all drive like jack@sses, because no mater what you think, other drivers hate the way YOU drive (including me), and at least we won't be tazed on national TV and much less likely to be beaten up or shot.

Wow - a really original thread about Thai driving standards. Never seen that before.

Fact is, there are variants of the 'types' mentioned by the OP in most western countries in which I've driven, and whatever their faults, the Thais don't display the self-righteous aggression which characterises most drivers in the UK, who all seem to think to think that they are wonderful and lapse into paroxysms of rage at the slightest perceived fault of others around them.

Bangkok excepted, I find driving in Thailand less stressful than driving in the UK

bad drivers are everywhere especially Thailand but I do agree with your statement about driving in the U.K especially greater London where there are those of asian and african origin are prevelant, I had the misfortune to drive through Ilford just outside the east end on a Sunday the other week and it kind of reminded me of driving in Thailand, lots of people muscling for their spot but refusing to acknowlege there were others on the road who had the right of way!

I agree, I am much less stressed driving here than driving back in the US. There, I hated that stomach sinking feeling when seeing a cop - never knew if I was going to be the next guy on the evening news, being beaten and tazed for no reason and having the video shown for all to see. Or worse, the prevalent road rage there. Someone mentioned earlier about doing a brake check on a tailgater. Well, in Detroit or any 'hood, that sh!t will get you killed! Just making eye contact will get your @ss beat sometimes. At least here, we can all drive like jack@sses, because no mater what you think, other drivers hate the way YOU drive (including me), and at least we won't be tazed on national TV and much less likely to be beaten up or shot.

Are you an African American?

Yes, the combination of the slow overtaker without looking in any mirror is another local peculiarity. I guess they have never learned to down-shift a stick or kick-down an auto so they can get around the slower vehicle a bit more smartly. Then there's the one that sits in the right lane doing the limit +10 kph and because he/she reckons that's as fast as ANYONE should be driving, doesn't get out of the way of my rental Fortuner with all my flashing of lights, beeping the horn, flicking the bird whilst railing and ranting about their parents marital status and level of education.

well sometimes it's no fun at all driving in Thailand. I have been taken for a drive by different Thais at different times and they drive like you and me. The difference is that they don't start clenching the steering wheel in frustration when they get into the above described situations. When I asked why some people drive like they do, I got the reply 'oh, they just lazy'. When you think about it this goes to the root of what happens on the road all the time.

I have rarely been so up tight as I was when drove through Koirat one morning at a time when all the kids were going to school. How I got through that without killing someone I don't know, next time I'll take another route. I don't think that a Thai would be fazed by this at all, they just drive.

I haven't been back to UK for years now, but the descripion of driving habits I read here is very very far away from what it was when I was driving there 30 years ago

Don't forget the overloaded trucks that can't go any faster than 40km/h and drive in the motorbike lane because the road has been chewed up by all the overloaded trucks.

Motorbike lane? Is that the one on the nearside but coming at you or am I missing something?

Don't forget the overloaded trucks that can't go any faster than 40km/h and drive in the motorbike lane because the road has been chewed up by all the overloaded trucks.

Motorbike lane? Is that the one on the nearside but coming at you or am I missing something?

The one on the outside that often has cars, motorbikes and tricycles coming the wrong way, plus overloaded trucks going the right way.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com