True Docsis 30/3

nocturn

Maybe you are exceeding the True DOCSIS fair use policy in your multi-thread & overnight downloads? Here's a link showing the limits. Link

What is you speed when hardwired to the router and doing a speedtest to Bangkok?

I'm on a True DOCSIS 20Mb/2Mb plan and still zipping along at 20Mb/2Mb.

Edited by Pib

Maybe you are exceeding the True DOCSIS fair use policy in your multi-thread & overnight downloads? Here's a link showing the limits. Link

Does TRUE ever enforce their fair use policy? I understand that there needs to be some deterrent to people downloading at full speed for days on end. However, if you have a 20/2 connection that can potentially download 9GB/hour but TRUE limit you to 5.4GB/hour then what is the point of paying for ultra high speed broadband?

Does TRUE ever enforce their fair use policy? I understand that there needs to be some deterrent to people downloading at full speed for days on end. However, if you have a 20/2 connection that can potentially download 9GB/hour but TRUE limit you to 5.4GB/hour then what is the point of paying for ultra high speed broadband?

You would need to call True and ask if they ever enforce their fair use policy. But I expect in today's world it is super easy for them to program their system to automatically enforce a fair use policy...in fact, I hope it is enforced. And believe it or not, many people don't download tons of stuff daily and like having a high speed connection for just browsing, occasional downloads/updates, streaming video, etc., especially when you may need a high speed "in-Thailand" connection just to get 10% to 25% of that speed to international sites.

You would need to call True and ask if they ever enforce their fair use policy. But I expect in today's world it is super easy for them to program their system to automatically enforce a fair use policy...in fact, I hope it is enforced. And believe it or not, many people don't download tons of stuff daily and like having a high speed connection for just browsing, occasional downloads/updates, streaming video, etc., especially when you may need a high speed "in-Thailand" connection just to get 10% to 25% of that speed to international sites.

What you say makes sense. The reason that I asked the question about downloading & fair use is because I'm having trouble understanding what according to the ISP an ultra high speed connection is supposed to be used for. It has confused me for a while. I'll try to explain.

Neither DOCSIS or XDSL is available in my area yet (hopefully will be soon) so right now the best I can get is a 10/1 ADSL from TRUE and a 3/0.5 from TOT. If I download from various international servers I generally get close to the theoretical maximum from either connection (approx 1250 & 375KB/sec respectively) so I assume it is safe to say that these 2 ISP's are delivering the bandwidth that they claim to. For general web browsing and say streamimg youtube I'm unable to discern any speed difference between the 2 connections. That seems logical because even 3Mb/sec should be more than enough for that kind of usage, let alone 10Mb/sec.

The part I don't understand is what improvement could be expected from a 50 or even 100Mb/sec connection in every day use except in the case of downloading large amounts of data - which apparently TRUE don't want you to do? And if they don't want us downloading large data then what are they selling? According to the fair use page, if I had a 20/2 connection and downloaded say 10GB in one go, I would be in violation.

Does my question make sense? Or is my logic flawed somewhere?

Cheers,

no, your logic is strong.

My connection is fine today, back up to full speed. It seems there is some congestion to the server in Europe.

That fair use policy is certainly interesting. I am certainly in breach upon occasion, but i cant see that they are enforcing it, speedtests locally have shown i am getting the full speed.

Besides, if i max it for 1 to 2 hours per day, that leaves 22 hours where while not idle, the connection is running at 10% at best.

Pib, your remarks regarding people having fast connections for surfing, occasional updates etc just don't make any sense. It has been established here time and time again that international bandwith doesnt vary significantly depending on the connection, be it 8, 10, 20 or 30 mbps.

The only real reason to have a fat pipe would be for data, whether it is up or down.

my day today experience using voip for business, skype as a collaboration tool, dropboxes for file sharing and watching the odd bit of video etc has not improved any since i have upgraded from 8 to 16, to 30.

The only thing that has changed is that i can pick a torrent and be watching it in a half hour.

Edited by nocturn

The part I don't understand is what improvement could be expected from a 50 or even 100Mb/sec connection in every day use except in the case of downloading large amounts of data - which apparently TRUE don't want you to do? And if they don't want us downloading large data then what are they selling? According to the fair use page, if I had a 20/2 connection and downloaded say 10GB in one go, I would be in violation.

Does my question make sense? Or is my logic flawed somewhere?

Cheers,

Personally, I can't see how the general public needs a 50-100Mb connection (or even 30Mb) if they are just browsing, emailing, video streaming, and moderate downloading. By moderate downloading I mean programs, music, Windows updates, etc; I don't mean downloading GBs upon GBs of movies/videos/etc....being into torrents on a large scale. But with the higher download speeds usually comes the higher upload speed capability like 10Mb/s with the 100Mb plan...I seen posts where people who work IT related jobs need that upload speed. And of course you always have people who just gotta have the latest-and-great, the fastest, etc....do they "need" it-No; do they "want" it-Yes!...and they are willing to pay for it.

Pib, your remarks regarding people having fast connections for surfing, occasional updates etc just don't make any sense. It has been established here time and time again that international bandwith doesnt vary significantly depending on the connection, be it 8, 10, 20 or 30 mbps.

The only real reason to have a fat pipe would be for data, whether it is up or down.

my day today experience using voip for business, skype as a collaboration tool, dropboxes for file sharing and watching the odd bit of video etc has not improved any since i have upgraded from 8 to 16, to 30.

The only thing that has changed is that i can pick a torrent and be watching it in a half hour.

I would agree for single-thread operations it appears international speeds to US/Europe websites for 8 to 30Mb plans seems to be about the same. However, it appears speeds to local content hubs like Singapore are much faster and with more and more content provides hosting/mirroring their content on servers in Southeast Asia like Singapore this is a plus for faster plans. And since cache servers are becoming common place a person could easy being sucking certain data off a Bangkok cache server through their fat pipe even though the web site, like CNN, may be in the U.S., Europe, etc. For multi-threaded operations so much depends on the server(s) you are connecting to...in that, are they going to feed data fast/full speed or throttle the bandwidth. Many times when using a download manager to download files I get a full 2.5MB; other times to other servers I may only pull 100KB. So much depends on the "type" of content you download and from what servers around the world.

Personnally, I'm not into torrents...doing tons of downloading...pretty much just basic surfing and some video streaming. My 20Mb/2Mb plan is probably overkill...a 10Mb DOCSIS or maybe even 7Mb would probably fit me just fine. But for many others, a faster plan,heavy downloading, etc. suits theirs wants/needs. Cheers.

Thanks for the explanations. I'll definitely go for a higher speed option whenever it becomes available in my area. My experience with the TRUE 10/1 connection is that they are not strictly enforcing their fair use policy. Once in a while I will download 100GB in one day and nothing has happened. Otherwise 80-90% of the time that connection is sitting idle so perhaps TRUE see that overall my connection is not being abused. Or perhaps no one is looking and they don't really care. Who knows?

Yea, with today's technology in how to monitor & control bandwidth usage True may use their fair use policy described in the Terms of Agreement (TOA) "combined" with overall network bandwidth usage or combined with XYZ...who knows. And maybe the fair usage per hour is not enforced unless the overall network is beginning to bog-down then in kicks-in on person's account. And I just wonder if a person exceeds the fair usage per hour and then your bandwidth is throttled back, "how long" does that throttle stay in place...just until the next hour...24 hours...etc...I don't know.

Now if Thai ISPs ever start putting maximum monthly bandwidth usage limits on ADSL/Cable internet plans like cell phone plans do on 3G service/bandwidth then that would suck. It would indeed suck if they wanted to charge extra for bandwidth used over a certain monthly limit or dropped your speed way down until the new month kicked in....yeap, that would suck. But I don't foresee that happenning anytime soon/ever since bandwidth on Thai ADSL/Cable seems to growing/getting better for most poeple (yea, I know, not all). Can't speak to bandwidth on 3G networks since the wife and I just have plain jane 2G phones & plans...but hey, with 3G smartphones and plans dropping in price we just might upgrade in the semi-near future. Cheers.

Edited by Pib