Thaksin Saviour And Weakest Link For PM Yingluck

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Thaksin saviour and weakest link for PM Yingluck

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- While Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister because she is Thaksin's sister, the fugitive ex-prime minister seems at the same time to be her weakest link.

After leading the country for eight months, the first female prime minister of Thailand faces several problems.

The most troublesome issue for her right now is her brother's desire to return to Thailand. Thaksin has frequently sent a strong signal that he may come back sooner rather than later.

"The signal makes the prime minister uncomfortable because there are already problems enough in the country. What the prime minister wants is to fix all the problems. The Thaksin matter should wait for the right time" to be solved, said a source close to Yingluck.

Apart from the issue of whether her brother is about return, Yingluck's government still lacks unity, which has been the case since she formed her administration.

The allocation of Cabinet seats and the sharing of benefits is dependent on the quotas of the factions inside the ruling Pheu Thai Party. The relations behind these factions are also at odds, especially Yaowapa Wongsawat and Pojaman na Pombejra, who are reportedly fighting for the spoils.

Key factions inside the party are the one headed by Thaksin's sister Yaowapa, overseeing the Commerce and Justice ministries; the Baan Chan Song La faction of Thaksin's former wife Pojaman, overseeing the Transport and Education ministries; the Sudarat Keyuraphan and Bangkok MPs faction, overseeing the Information and Communications Technology Ministry; and Yongyuth Tiyapairat's faction, overseeing the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry.

Conflicts among these factions have led to turmoil in the Yingluck government.

And most important, Yingluck has been overlooked by her Cabinet members, who do not listen to the prime minister but rather opt to follow their faction leaders |and Thaksin's orders.

Hence it is not surprising to see Yingluck repeatedly having to ask ministers about progress on the same old issues in the weekly Cabinet meetings - for example, about the water-management plan and the tackling of haze from forest fires and airborne dust particles in the North.

Some may feel sympathetic towards the PM. At the latest Cabinet meeting on Monday, Yingluck was the first person to turn up - there was not a single one of her ministerial team in the room when she arrived.

Although Yingluck has gained experience during her time in office, the task of being the nation's leader is not an easy one, especially for a political novice. There was a report that Yingluck used to surrender her ideas during the early period of her administration, but, fortunately for her, Thaksin came to her rescue on several occasions.

While her brother is Yingluck's weakest link, ironically he is the man the prime minister has needed the most.

Thaksin is well aware of his sister's problem, so he intends undertaking a big Cabinet reshuffle after the 111 banned politicians are allowed to return to political office next month. Those in the current batch of ministers who were appointed as a reward, as well as those whose performance has been poor, will be ousted from their posts.

Besides some of the 111 banned politicians re-entering the Cabinet, other high-profile and outstanding figures will be appointed as ministers in the reshuffle, a Pheu Thai Party leader said, adding that those ministers who have performed well, will however remain in the ministerial team.

"The honeymoon is over [for those who have not performed well]. It's time for professional figures," Thaksin has been quoted as saying.

However, Thaksin could be wrong if he thinks he can be his sister's saviour every time she gets into trouble. All he has done is tackle the immediate impact of the problems, but not the root causes.

As long as the de facto leader remains powerful and overshadows the actual prime minister, the real problems will not be solved. Thaksin may have enabled his sister to become the country's leader, but at the same time he could be the cause of her eventual downfall.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-05

"The signal makes the prime minister uncomfortable because there are already problems enough in the country. What the prime minister wants is to fix all the problems. The Thaksin matter should wait for the right time" to be solved, said a source close to Yingluck.

If they're waiting for that, he'll never be coming back...fine by me ;).

It is sad when you read that she was the first one to show up to a cabinet meeting. Pathetic really. I guess like most politicians, it's all smoke and mirrors (literally smoke and water?), but at least have the decency to APPEAR as if you're doing something. I guess that's what you get when you are electing people based on how much money they give you versus what they're going to do for the people.

What i find strange. no what am I thinking, this is Thailand, what is appalling is that the 105 (?) stood down executive members of another party (Thai Rak Thai) can come back into another party (Pheu Thai), and not to mention that the soon to be arsed Pheu Thai Khwai were actually elected in an election. But hey the PM by Dubai default didn't need to stand either. The morals and values of most Thai leaders are appalling or non existent. No wonder the country is being washed away by the up hill dunnie dumps.

• Like 2

The level of corruption is staggering, the Shinawatra clan will suck Thailand dry.

It’s dry already, going into barrowing mode as much as they can before the county go to default like Greece

Rather Thaksin suck than Mark/Korn suck. Or Army suck. Does it matter? Everyone, including the smallest police, custom officer, even school teachers, and latest. doctors (med scam), all suck Thailand dry.

• Like 1

"Thaksin is well aware of his sister's problem, so he intends undertaking a big Cabinet reshuffle"

PM YingLuck, if this is permitted, should be struck down and kicked out! This is more that scandaleous and illegal.

-mel.

• Like 2

The level of corruption is staggering, the Shinawatra clan will suck Thailand dry.

It’s dry already, going into barrowing mode as much as they can before the county go to default like Greece

Rather Thaksin suck than Mark/Korn suck. Or Army suck. Does it matter? Everyone, including the smallest police, custom officer, even school teachers, and latest. doctors (med scam), all suck Thailand dry.

Yes it matters, if someone sucks 5-10 % but accept laws and courts or if someone sucks 50 % and destroys all checks-and-balance; destroy, courts, police etc etc.

Mark would never be so low to put his brother in law as the boss of the police (or before he tried with the army).

There is a huge difference in quantity and quality of corruption.

This is unfair as Thaksin is her strongest link. Without him she will fall.

But this article highlights a problem with Thai politics. We have a PM who's brother controls the government and four other clan members in positions of power or influence.

Ultimately I expect her to quit to spend less time with her family.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

If they're waiting for that, he'll never be coming back...fine by me wink.png.

It is sad when you read that she was the first one to show up to a cabinet meeting. Pathetic really. I guess like most politicians, it's all smoke and mirrors (literally smoke and water?), but at least have the decency to APPEAR as if you're doing something. I guess that's what you get when you are electing people based on how much money they give you versus what they're going to do for the people.

I think the males in PTP was in the bar with Charlem for some morning-Black Jacks on the rocks.

But this article highlights a problem with Thai politics. We have a PM who's brother controls the government and four other clan members in positions of power or influence.

I had to read your last sentence several times.

Under normal circumstances a person when quitting a position (in her case P.M.) would tend to spend more time with their family.

However in the case of the Shinawat clan, most of them are involved in the politics of Thailand, sister Yaowapa, brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, etc, see below.

It really is a cosy family business. Thus, simply being at work for Yingluck, she is surrounded by family members of one sort of another. Some cynics might call this NEPOTISM. I think I might too.

click to enlarge

post-9891-0-99615300-1333613692_thumb.jp

Edited by ratcatcher

Under normal circumstances a person when quitting a position (in her case P.M.) would tend to spend more time with their family.

However in the case of the Shinawat clan, most of them are involved in the politics of Thailand, sister Yaowapa, brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, etc, see below.

It really is a cosy family business. Thus, simply being at work for Yingluck, she is surrounded by family members of one sort of another. Some cynics might call this NEPOTISM. I think I might too.

click to enlarge

100% sure GK don´t agree with you.laugh.png

Everyone seems to be missing the main point, Pheu Thai is in power as a direct result of a military coup against the then democratically elected Thaksin led government. I may also remind you that the Thaksin government was on the nose and would most probably have been dismissed by the people at the next election. Thaksin was then sentenced to 2 years prison, because his wife purchased state owned land at a public auction, not what you would call a capital offence. Now we have a situation whereby any Shinawatra would be elected as PM, related or not. The rise of the Red Shirt movement resulted in riots on Bangkok's streets, yes Sonthi has a lot to answer for.

Thaksin was then sentenced to 2 years prison, because his wife purchased state owned land at a public auction, not what you would call a capital offence.

There is a very uncomplicated easy to understand logical reason why a Prime Ministers wife should not be allowed to bid on state owned land. Is it really possible that it escapes you?

• Like 2

click to enlarge

Big family business and having relatives in parliament has been going on here for ages. Maybe the Shinawatras are taking it to a new level, but there has barely ever been an MP in this country without some kind of conflict of interest.

• Like 1

An anti-Yingluck article if I ever saw one...... A litany of negatives, without a redeeming quality....... I wonder which side of the Political fence this writer is on...... Everything from denying her the resounding electoral victory she crafted, to suggesting there is only turmoil in her Cabinet, even though she deftly handled the recent Cabinet reshuffle, and turfed those who were seeking 2nd. opinions after receiving her direction. Not much point in itemizing all the Ms. Y. denigration this guy can muster, as they are self-evident......... An overiding theme however, as is the case with many of these anti-Ms. Y writers, is to create the impression there is.....well.......turmoil.....when that would not be the case if they, who are actually entitled to Governance, were in rightful power if it just wasn't for those dam_n elections. This epistle to contemptuous condescension of Ms. Y. comes out of a sense of political self-importance and inequality.

Edited by CalgaryII

I though it was pro Yingluck, it indicated that Ms Yingluck takes her position as PM seriously and actually tries to serve the Thai people. But her party give her no support or respect, they have their factional agendas of self enrichment and no time for public service. I agree with the op, thing will change when the 111 banned politicians are allowed to return, Thaksin will shuffle them in then Yingluck will have the support of seasoned professional politicians. The question is will Thaksin allow her to keep her position as PM?

Edited by waza

"Thaksin is well aware of his sister's problem, so he intends undertaking a big Cabinet reshuffle"

PM YingLuck, if this is permitted, should be struck down and kicked out! This is more that scandaleous and illegal.

-mel.

You rely on the statements of a biased source.

It has been known prior to the election that the banned politicians would be making a comeback. it is also no big secret that several of those people would mae better cabinet ministers than some that currently hold office.

-mel.

Nobody can really take a parrott seriously anyway. We all know that the Thai PM headquarters are in Dubai ...

-mel.

Nobody can really take a parrott seriously anyway. We all know that the Thai PM headquarters are in Dubai ...

What is a parrott?

I though it was pro Yingluck, it indicated that Ms Yingluck takes her position as PM seriously and actually tries to serve the Thai people. But her party give her no support or respect, they have their factional agendas of self enrichment and no time for public service. I agree with the op, thing will change when the 111 banned politicians are allowed to return, Thaksin will shuffle them in then Yingluck will have the support of seasoned professional politicians. The question is will Thaksin allow her to keep her position as PM?

The incumbent pollies have had their nose in the trough and will not go quietly.I can see trouble brewing.

An anti-Yingluck article if I ever saw one...... A litany of negatives, without a redeeming quality....... I wonder which side of the Political fence this writer is on...... Everything from denying her the resounding electoral victory she crafted, to suggesting there is only turmoil in her Cabinet, even though she deftly handled the recent Cabinet reshuffle, and turfed those who were seeking 2nd. opinions after receiving her direction. Not much point in itemizing all the Ms. Y. denigration this guy can muster, as they are self-evident......... An overiding theme however, as is the case with many of these anti-Ms. Y writers, is to create the impression there is.....well.......turmoil.....when that would not be the case if they, who are actually entitled to Governance, were in rightful power if it just wasn't for those dam_n elections. This epistle to contemptuous condescension of Ms. Y. comes out of a sense of political self-importance and inequality.

You should take off those rose coloured glasses occasionaly,i read it as sympathetic to Yingluck.

-mel.

You rely on the statements of a biased source.

It has been known prior to the election that the banned politicians would be making a comeback. it is also no big secret that several of those people would mae better cabinet ministers than some that currently hold office.

In a democracy,pollies should be elected to office,surely.A simple by-election would do,111 of them.

Everyone seems to be missing the main point, Pheu Thai is in power as a direct result of a military coup against the then democratically elected Thaksin led government. I may also remind you that the Thaksin government was on the nose and would most probably have been dismissed by the people at the next election. Thaksin was then sentenced to 2 years prison, because his wife purchased state owned land at a public auction, not what you would call a capital offence. Now we have a situation whereby any Shinawatra would be elected as PM, related or not. The rise of the Red Shirt movement resulted in riots on Bangkok's streets, yes Sonthi has a lot to answer for.

1) The Thaksin government bought votes, by concentrating on the poorer rural people where he got more bang for his baht. There is no radio or TV signals in a lot these areas, and he set up a weekly radio address to spread his propaganda. Consider why the red shirt caravans came mainly from the North and not the South.

2) After the coup NO ONE wanted the position of prime minister. - they were all too scared. All the established politicians didnt want the position, virtually all of them recommended Abhisit for the position, as a scapegoat. - and now you can see that he is indeed perceived in a way that the older politicians expected he would be, and were trying to avoid being perceived as themselves.

3) Thaksin tried to remove the last remaining general that was not on his payroll, hence the coup. If that had happened the military would have been controlled solely by Thaksin, and would have indeed used military force to remain in power. At the time he was suppose to get out, but kept on delaying it and delaying it and delaying it...even way past the deadline. Thats when the military had enough, realized what he was trying to do and forced him out.

4 a ) Thaksin changed the laws to accomodate his wifes purchase of the land

b ) He also changed the law to facilitate the sale of AIS to Themasek of Singapore in order to avoid paying taxes.

c ) Through the sale, he relinquished Thai state satellites to Singapore.

5) The red shirt rising was the work of Thaksin himself, without which there would have never been any red shirts to begin with. The foot is the most disrespectful sign in Thailand, but that was there symbol - a red foot clapper.

6) If he truly loves Thailand he would see the damage he is causing, but obviously he does not. He thinks he can change Thailand, but he as only changed it for the worse.

7) After the economic collapse the economy rebounded do to the weakening bahts exchange rate, which resulted in higher export and tourism growth. But many mistake this as the work of Thaksin while in office and give him credit for economic recovery which is not the case, and what the majority of misinformed redshirts believe.

8) The reds are perpetual liars, at every rally they had they had a backdrop poster of a fake large crowd.

What about soft govt. taxpayer loan to Burmese generals to buy AIS satellite,the list is endless.If this man comes back,the country will never ever recover.Before T even thinks about coming back,somebody has to pass away.