Thailand Really Likes Old Western Guys

kerryk

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your observations. Asia in general has a deep respect for older people. Which is great for us!

I was talking with my brother a few days ago, he lives in the US. He went out with his girl friend's daughter and BF to a club. He said it was so bizzare, he was the oldest one there. He kept getting stares like "what are you doing here, old man". And he's only 52.

Thailand does have some advantages. wink.png

I remember a woman in an American disco calling me Gramps. I think I was 40 at the time. Now I go to a club where people ask me to dance and they range in age from 20 to 60. It's a nice change.

• Like 1

Aren't grandparents cherished and loved by their children and grandchildren in any country or culture the world over? What's the point of this thread?

As for acceptance, if you're bankrolling everyone's happiness, of course they'll love you; take a gander at photos of President Bush hugging,kissing and holding hands with Saudi leaders - that too is universal.

You missed the point. You are not an old guy I take it.

No, it's not the same. In the West you are a grampa at 40. It's the youth culture. Families don't go to concerts together. Families don't go out dancing on a Friday night together.

It is not a matter of bankrolling everyone's happiness. Sometimes I pay but if we go out with a more senior more important person he pays.

Age was once upon a time respected in the West. If you are old you realize this. It still is in most parts of Thailand not Bangkok or Phuket.

So there are a number of things going for the old guy here. One is Thailand is still culturally 100 years behind the West in some things, respect of age being one of them and the Asian respect for ancestors thing.

Add that to the Asian religion stuff about old guys and it's a trifecta.

• Like 1

if you are a grumpy, surly old git anywhere in the world people will treat you as such. Same if you are a young miserable, grumpy sod.

I agree with the OP's post that older folk here are more likely to be treated with respect if you engender that respect from your general attitude. More so out in the sticks where generations of family show deference and love towards older generations. And this is not all about money as some seem to believe.

As I have said before on other topics, I have been to parties, marriages, funerals, make monk and many other activities. I have been out with whole families to restaurants to buffets, clubs or on days out where everyone interacts together. The same applies at other peoples houses or simply all going out in the truck to the market.

The attitude of the family as a whole is different here. Everyone mucks in together, parties together, are happy together. You are not looked upon as some old degenerate.

I do miss life out in the sticks here in Thailand where it is a social family atmosphere and that is something that is now sadly lacking back home. Not because my son and his wife or the grandchildren do not love me, more because the way of life back home has degenerated into a free for all where each has to look after their own to survive in many ways, where they no longer seem to have the time for us older, often wiser, folks.

Life can be great out there in the sticks. Maybe some more of you ought to try to spend some genuine time out there and get to know the real Thai family life instead of living it up in Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya, then you might understand where the OP is coming from.

I remember a woman in an American disco calling me Gramps. I think I was 40 at the time. Now I go to a club where people ask me to dance and they range in age from 20 to 60. It's a nice change.

"Papa" seems to be popular.

"Papa" seems to be popular.

Papa "IS" popular. I know a couple of bar owners in Chiang Mai who are loved by their staff. It's very easy to see the affection shown in many subtle ways. Both these particular men are called Pappa. And, it goes both way. Each man treats his staff with respect, and more like personal friends than staff.

What our kerryk says is true to a point, but it still depends.

All is fine providing these farangs that suddenly decide to park themselves in Thailand can adapt to Thai culture and ways of the people, keep within the laws and do not expect a yes massah approach from the Thais.

Unfortunately from my experience and what I have witnessed over the years many seem unable to follow these golden rules and often end up in conflicts with they’re Thai neighbors or having to frequently peer over their shoulders because they are contravening one law or another.

Not a big problem in moderation but as more and more of the West’s less wealthier citizens begin pouring into the country, believing that they are onto a good thing because their mates have told them it is cheap, more relaxed and more able to keep a low profile here, then their activities begin to attract the attentions of the Thai authorities and can bring in tighter Immigration restrictions onto all of us.

I have no problems with those who abide by the laws, rules and regulations but unfortunately many here I consider as suspect and shady, so these sudden influxes of farangs into the provinces is not a good thing in my opinion and certainly not beneficial for the ex-pats that are already here.

Strangers young and old usually return my smile in Thailand, not so in some other places

I do agree in Thailand children are taught to respect their elders....which to a point is good but can also be a block on development

But for sure the times are upon us when the young will be closed to communication, don their headphones, drowning in their own non interactive low contact world

Ian: I didn't realise you knew Jing back then!!

All is fine providing these farangs that suddenly decide to park themselves in Thailand can adapt to Thai culture and ways of the people, keep within the laws and do not expect a yes massah approach from the Thais.

Unfortunately from my experience and what I have witnessed over the years many seem unable to follow these golden rules and often end up in conflicts with they’re Thai neighbors or having to frequently peer over their shoulders because they are contravening one law or another.

Not a big problem in moderation but as more and more of the West’s less wealthier citizens begin pouring into the country, believing that they are onto a good thing because their mates have told them it is cheap, more relaxed and more able to keep a low profile here, then their activities begin to attract the attentions of the Thai authorities and can bring in tighter Immigration restrictions onto all of us.

I have no problems with those who abide by the laws, rules and regulations but unfortunately many here I consider as suspect and shady, so these sudden influxes of farangs into the provinces is not a good thing in my opinion and certainly not beneficial for the ex-pats that are already here.

A very nice post from the OP.

What does Beetlejuice's reply have to do with the topic? - nothing

Why do some posters have to keep introducing meaningless diatribe aimed at nobody in particular.

• Like 1

Fantastic topic, thanks to OP for posting it.

To give just one example, at Songkran the whole family comes to show their respect to me, i.e. wish me sawatdee pimai, and they throw some rose scented water over my hands and shoulder. That's respect and the only thing I like about songkran.

Unfortunately it's a big family so I'm soaked at the end of it all but I love it !

In my home country I'm just an old fart who doesn't know the latest trends in music, fashion etc.

Well done Kerryk !

Yermanee jap.gif

Edited by yermanee

Strangers young and old usually return my smile in Thailand, not so in some other places

I do agree in Thailand children are taught to respect their elders....which to a point is good but can also be a block on development

But for sure the times are upon us when the young will be closed to communication, don their headphones, drowning in their own non interactive low contact world

Ian: I didn't realise you knew Jing back then!!

That ain't Jing, it's George Armstrong Custer.

But, you said a mouthfull when you mentioned Thai children and the coming modern world for them. Because Thai children are taught that everything an elder tells them is the gospel true there is a two part result. It makes them much more friendly to elders, but it also destroys their open minds in questioning reality.

Why do some posters have to keep introducing meaningless diatribe aimed at nobody in particular.

I disagree. Beetlejuice's reply was well thought out and true. Many western louts come to Thailand and give other tourists a bad name. They treat the women working in bars and cafes like pieces of meat, and the backlash is the women treat the sexpats like a sucker that should be fleeced. It's a two way street.

• Like 2

How old and how western, Kerry? I've been around a long time and don't have any thoughts about leaving any time soon.

Colour film wasn't even invented when they took this photo of me.

Custer_Ian.jpg

This was before 59 squadron flattened it and put in an airfield

This was before 59 squadron flattened it and put in an airfield

No they didn't. Those truly are the hills above the Little Bighorn River behind me.

Here are more modern photos...

Custer_Battle_038.jpg

Custer_Battle_043.jpg

Custers_last_stand_3.jpg

I was down fishing the trout stream while George was above fighting the indians.

• Like 2

I am living here and my son just spent 6 months here. I am older and he is in his mid 20's.

I have to correct the title to - Thailand Really Likes Western Guys.

I think you will find out as you live here longer that regardless of how much some web sites try and make fun of the old fellows with practical jokes and such that Thailand has skewed the entire expat experience in favor of old guys from Visa to marriage practices. Thai women are not stupid; they realize it is easier to have a relationship with an old fellow than a young one and they take advantage of that fact.

• Like 1

I disagree. Beetlejuice's reply was well thought out and true. Many western louts come to Thailand and give other tourists a bad name. They treat the women working in bars and cafes like pieces of meat, and the backlash is the women treat the sexpats like a sucker that should be fleeced. It's a two way street.

What happens in Pattaya (plus 3 more tourist places) does not reflect on foreigner behaviour in the majority of Thailand.

I doubt if there are even a dozen foreigners living in my province (Nan), let alone louts treating Thai women badly.

If you choose to live in a sewer, then you can expect to encounter rats.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

I am living here and my son just spent 6 months here. I am older and he is in his mid 20's.

I have to correct the title to - Thailand Really Likes Western Guys.

If this is true, why are there so many western guys complaining about racism? Sorry, just going through some of these other threads where the high-pitched whining/whinging was unbearable. But I'm with Kerry on this one. It may be good for the young guys, but it's great for the older guys.