Sam'S Mexican & American Grill

Gone

"how hard is it to add 10% in your head?"

Actually, at ST it's 17.7% (10% + 7%).

For a tab of 1000 Baht, that's an additional 177 Baht.

For a 500 Baht meal, it's 89 Baht - (Probably close to the average tab for a single patron)

For some that's acceptable, others not -- but clearly not the norm for most eateries in Pattaya/Jomtien.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"how hard is it to add 10% in your head?"

Actually, at ST it's 17.7% (10% + 7%).

For a tab of 1000 Baht, that's an additional 177 Baht.

For a 500 Baht meal, it's 89 Baht - (Probably close to the average tab for a single patron)

For some that's acceptable, others not -- but clearly not the norm for most eateries in Pattaya/Jomtien.

I don't consider it acceptable exactly. Not any more than a case of herpes ... but I still eat there sometimes. More like it is what it is. Yes, I would eat there more often if they dropped it and I think a lot of other expats would do so as well. My biggest concern is where the 10 percent "service" charge goes. Edited by Jingthing

If Sam's had the street front exposure that ST does -- considering his lower prices, larger portions, and lack of ++ pricing -- I'd be willing to bet that he'd attract a lot of business away from ST.

Too bad that he's only a 3 minute walk away from ST, he's been there for awhile, and still not many people know about Sam's.

Edited by SurfRider

If Sam's had the street front exposure that ST does -- considering his lower prices, larger portions, and lack of ++ pricing -- I'd be willing to bet that he'd attract a lot of business away from ST.

Too bad that he's only a 3 minute walk away from ST, he's been there for awhile, and still not many people know about Sam's.

They are both Mexican restaurants but that doesn't mean they are serving the same food. coffee1.gif

Agree.

I enjoyed a couple of meals there but the place is so quiet I was wondering about how fresh the ingredients are.

Never see anyone in there.

I don't think it is as slow as you think. When I am there, there are usually 2 or 3 other dinners. Sam seems to be a hands on kind of guy in and out of the kitchen and comes from a restaurant back ground so I don't think things are not fresh. I am quite a fan of his deserts but I usually dine late and they are sometimes sold out by the time I get there. His plato grande special for 199 I think the best value in town.

continued his praise for Sunrise and wrote:

...<snip>...At Sunrise, the only salsa bar in town, and it's rather huge...

Yes, there is a large variety of sauces provided at Sunrise's salsa bar...and all of them are understanably tailored for farang tastes.

I was disappointed, not with the selection of sauces, but that all of them are so mild and nothing like real Mexican spicy sauces.

Their Habanero/Jalapeno sauce couldn't have been farther from the real thing!

I'm beginning to wonder if Jingthing has ever been to Mexico and not just border towns???

Me, my wife, and our kids love ST. If the wife and I come to Jomtien the kids remind us to bring them some take out. We've been to Sam's and it seems to have gone somewhat downhill since it first opened. Perhaps it was just a bad day for them.

continued his praise for Sunrise and wrote:

......At Sunrise, the only salsa bar in town, and it's rather huge...

Yes, there is a large variety of sauces provided at Sunrise's salsa bar...and all of them are understanably tailored for farang tastes.

I was disappointed, not with the selection of sauces, but that all of them are so mild and nothing like real Mexican spicy sauces.

Their Habanero/Jalapeno sauce couldn't have been farther from the real thing!

I'm beginning to wonder if Jingthing has ever been to Mexico and not just border towns???

At ST, they have a Jalapeno salsa at the salsa bar and I believe there is bottled Habenero sauce at the tables. I agree both are weak. I never said their salsas were world class. I just appreciate the variety. And the John's Super Hot at the salsa bar is ... Hot. (Of course world class salsas have both heat and fantastic FLAVOR.) Yes I have been all over Mexico eating the real deal as well as the best places in Mexican areas of the U.S. I never said anyplace in Pattaya compares to those places. This is an expat forum. We make do.

One more point. I regularly buy fresh Jalapenos grown in Thailand. Although there are exceptions, they are usually very very weak jalapenos! So if you made a puree salsa from them (ST's Jalapeno salsa is like that) it wouldn't have strong flavor OR strong heat!

BTW, I don't buy your catered to f-rang tastes in the Mexican context. Maybe some are catered to Northern European bland tastes but the most loyal customers for Mexican food restaurants are Americans and most of them are very cool with properly spiced salsas. Please don't fall into the Thai BS f-rangs are all alike meme.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried to visit Sam's a few years ago but couldn't find it.

Might have another try in a few weeks.

At ST, they have a Jalapeno salsa at the salsa bar and I believe there is bottled Habenero sauce at the tables. I agree both are weak. I never said their salsas were world class. I just appreciate the variety. And the John's Super Hot at the salsa bar is ... Hot. (Of course world class salsas have both heat and fantastic FLAVOR.) Yes I have been all over Mexico eating the real deal as well as the best places in Mexican areas of the U.S. I never said anyplace in Pattaya compares to those places. This is an expat forum. We make do.

One more point. I regularly buy fresh Jalapenos grown in Thailand. Although there are exceptions, they are usually very very weak jalapenos! So if you made a puree salsa from them (ST's Jalapeno salsa is like that) it wouldn't have strong flavor OR strong heat!

BTW, I don't buy your catered to f-rang tastes in the Mexican context. Maybe some are catered to Northern European bland tastes but the most loyal customers for Mexican food restaurants are Americans and most of them are very cool with properly spiced salsas. Please don't fall into the Thai BS f-rangs are all alike meme.

Northern European bland tastes? Where do you get the idea that Northern Europeans have bland taste? Spicy food is very popular in all of EU. Did you mean to say North American? Eastern European perhaps?

Northern European bland tastes? Where do you get the idea that Northern Europeans have bland taste? Spicy food is very popular in all of EU. Did you mean to say North American? Eastern European perhaps?

No, I did not mean North American. Duh. Mexico is North American and spicy food is popular in the U.S.A. as well. I meant like Scandinavians. You're right, eastern Europeans even more so. In any case, again, don't fall into the silly mindset of Thais that so called "f-rang" palates are all the same. Edited by Jingthing

Hm. I'm Scandinavian, and I and every other Scandic I know love spicy food. I think you got your facts wrong there JT.

OK, if you say so but I don't really believe you, sorry. In any case, your national cuisines are not highly spiced, either with spices or heat. Unless you count ... dill. rolleyes.gif My only experience is both traveling there and observing what Scandinavians eat in Thailand. Never seen one order Thai food spicy ... ever. There is no right or wrong on such matters, but why pursue an assertion these countries are hot and spicy loving countries, when they clearly ... aren't? It seems silly. BTW, I also think as a generalization French people are not into hot and spicy either.

For example, Sweden:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080105030148AAvAULG

Edited by Jingthing

Hm. I'm Scandinavian, and I and every other Scandic I know love spicy food. I think you got your facts wrong there JT.

OK, if you say so but I don't really believe you, sorry. In any case, your national cuisines are not highly spiced, either with spices or heat. Unless you count ... dill. rolleyes.gif My only experience is both traveling there and observing what Scandinavians eat in Thailand. Never seen one order Thai food spicy ... ever. There is no right or wrong on such matters, but why pursue an assertion these countries are hot and spicy loving countries, when they clearly ... aren't? It seems silly. BTW, I also think as a generalization French people are not into hot and spicy either.

For example, Sweden:

http://answers.yahoo...05030148AAvAULG

what about us brits !, we love spicy food, even invented the Vidaloo !

For example, Sweden:

Yes you're a bunch of bloody curry heads!

Ever try a Norwegian curry sauce? I have. It was a Scoville -1000.

Edited by Jingthing

"I will go again! Watch out, I'm comin'"

I'd suggest the best time for the assault is high-noon on April 19 . . . biggrin.png

It may work out nicely. I hear they have an a-saults-a bar. Can't wait for the review.

Yes, could be any year now ...unsure.png

(Make burritos, not war.)

Edited by Jingthing

OK finally went there on Saturday and had the chili burger.

Not too bad and no greedy ++ on the bill.

Only way it could have been better would have been to use imported beef - of course that would double the price.

Will be back to try the quesallidaes ....

For example, Sweden:

Yes you're a bunch of bloody curry heads!

Ever try a Norwegian curry sauce? I have. It was a Scoville -1000.

I love spicy food, but I'm from an extraordinary place between the British isles and Norwegian mainland! whistling.gif

Gone: Glad you enjoyed the restaurant. As I told you, I haven't eaten there yet, but it looked good. Glad you could find it as it is a bit hard to locate, but not too bad. And a good break for you while waiting for your stuff at immigration!!!!

When you are back in town, would be interesting to see how you compare it to ST. I hope to eat at both, but wifey does such a great job with Mexican food at home.

Good luck with your new job....