Foreign Tourists Want To Join In Water Fight During Songkran: Survey

webfact

Foreign tourists want to join in water fight during Songkran: Survey

image_201204111204479FCA25A2-E18A-2FAF-AAAA87205535815B.jpg

BANGKOK, April 11 - Over 60 per cent of foreign tourists surveyed said they hope to wade into the fray at Khao San Road and other waterfight venues during this weekend’s Songkran celebration, according to an opinion poll released on Wednesday.

The Bangkok Poll Centre surveyed 640 foreigners aged 15 and older across the Thai capital's main tourists attractions on March 30-April 1 on Thailand’s historic megaflood last year and the performance of each sector.

Khao San Road is the destination of choice where foreign tourists will join the water splashing fights, followed by Chiang Mai and Pattaya, respectively.

Fifteen per cent of those surveyed said they are not joining the water festival, while another 23 per cent said they had no information on the day's activities.

What worries tourists the most about joining waterfights is their personal safety and possessions (about 25 per cent), followed by traffic jam (23 per cent), and aggressive water throwing (17 per cent).

Foreign travellers said what attracts them to visit Bangkok is the city’s monuments and historic sites (33 per cent), culture and local art (19 per cent), and shopping areas (16 per cent).

Regarding their overall satisfaction of their trips to the Thai capital, those surveyed gave 7.42 points out of 10. Food and beverages received the highest score at 8.29, while air quality garnered the lowest point at 5.36.

About three-fourths of foreign travellers said they would revisit Bangkok, 20 per cent said they were not certain, while 4 per cent said they would not return. Eighty-six per cent said they would recommend the City of Angels to their families and friends, 11 per cent said they were not certain, and 2 per cent said they would not do so.

Regarding why they would not recommend Thailand, tourists said that flooding and haze problems were the main factors they would avoid Thailand (29 per cent), followed by concerns on their personal safety and possessions (23 per cent), political instability (22 per cent), terrorism (17 per cent), and the deterioration of tourist attractions (6 per cent). (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-11

WATER FESTIVAL

Foreign tourists favour Khao San for Songkran

30179770-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Most foreign tourists say they hope to wade into the fray at Khao San Road and other waterfight venues during this weekend's Songkran celebration.

The Bangkok Poll released Wednesday said the survey was conducted among 640 foreigners aged over 15 in main tourist attractions in Bangkok between March 30 and April 1.

Sixty per cent of the respondents said they wanted to enjoy themselves in the water festival, with Khao San Road named as the favourite destination of choice, followed by Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

Meanwhile 15 per cent of those surveyed said they are not joining the festival, while another 23 per cent said they had no information about the day’s activities.

However, tourists are worried about personal safety and their possessions while joining the waterfights (about 25 per cent), followed by traffic jams (23 per cent), and aggressive water throwing (17 per cent).

Foreign travellers said what attracted them to visit Bangkok are the city's monuments and historic sites (33 per cent), culture and local art (19 per cent), and shopping areas (16 per cent).

Regarding overall satisfaction of their trips to the Thai capital, those surveyed gave 7.42 points out of 10. Food and beverages received the highest score at 8.29, while air quality garnered the lowest points at 5.36.

About three-quarters of foreign travellers said they would come back to Bangkok, 20 per cent said they were not certain, while 4 per cent said they would not return. Eighty-six per cent said they would recommend the City of Angels to their families and friends, 11 per cent said they were not certain, and 2 per cent said they would not do so.

Asked why they would not recommend Thailand, tourists said that flooding and haze problems were the main factors they would avoid Thailand (29 per cent), followed by concerns about their personal safety and possessions (23 per cent), political instability (22 per cent), terrorism (17 per cent), and the deterioration of tourist attractions (6 per cent)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-11

I'm going to dress like a Muslim for the week. No one would dare spray anyone in a thawb (Saudi men's traditional clothing; seen around the Nana area) lest they end up the victim of vicious beating.

(good idea since everyone has to be culturally sensitive to this ethnic group)

Edited by toenail
  • Like 2

"Regarding why they would not recommend Thailand, tourists said that flooding and haze problems were the main factors they would avoid Thailand (29 per cent), followed by concerns on their personal safety and possessions (23 per cent), political instability (22 per cent), terrorism (17 per cent), and the deterioration of tourist attractions (6 per cent). (MCOT online news)"

What a surprise that being beaten up by a BTS security guard when told you can't take balloons on the skytrain isn't among the reasons. There are many posting just such trash on another thread.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Sure, all the immature foreigners.

Not everyone is / can be as sophisticated as you Lifer giggle.gif I'm assume you don't celebrate Xmas, New Year, Halloween, etc., either. If some people, foreigners or not, want to join the festivities, then why not? Why does that make them "immature"? What will you be doing for Songkran?

He will probably be maturely sitting in his room looking down on people enjoying life,giggle.gif

• Like 1

"Regarding why they would not recommend Thailand, tourists said that flooding and haze problems were the main factors they would avoid Thailand (29 per cent), followed by concerns on their personal safety and possessions (23 per cent), political instability (22 per cent), terrorism (17 per cent), and the deterioration of tourist attractions (6 per cent). (MCOT online news)"

What a surprise that being beaten up by a BTS security guard when told you can't take balloons on the skytrain isn't among the reasons. There are many posting just such trash on another thread.

You misread the article.

Those figures only relate to 4% of the people poled.

20% were not sure if they would come back

76% said they probably would come back

I am betting you would be in the 4% if you had been in the poll.

"Foreign travellers said what attracts them to visit Bangkok is the city’s monuments and historic sites (33 per cent), culture and local art (19 per cent), and shopping areas (16 per cent)"

so by my in depth statistical analysis that only adds up to 68%....therefore the remaining 32% must be in BKK for a shag then,

one could also assume personages whose primarly purpose is the historic sites, would also be up for a shag when not visiting the cities monuments..

• Like 2

Can't wait. Tooled up and ready, bring it on! Soi 8 Pattaya

You don't have to wait.

Not sure what you mean? We all have to wait until Friday...then the fun starts, I'll be soaking it up in Pattaya Soi 8

The wait for the start is only i other parts of Thailand,not in Pattaya where it did start today.

"Foreign travellers said what attracts them to visit Bangkok is the city’s monuments and historic sites (33 per cent), culture and local art (19 per cent), and shopping areas (16 per cent)"

so by my in depth statistical analysis that only adds up to 68%....therefore the remaining 32% must be in BKK for a shag then,

one could also assume personages whose primarly purpose is the historic sites, would also be up for a shag when not visiting the cities monuments..

You should read the article it said 4% would not come back and 20% didn't know. That adds up to 92%.

Perhaps some of the others are here for a shag and perhaps some of them were just passing through to some other spot in Thailand. And some might have other reasons.

But not to worry you are not alone I am sure some are here just to get a shag.

but not to worry you are not alone I am sure some are here just to get a shag.

Actually I am gamefully employed here with a real job and have been for many years, Although I am not adverse to the concept of travelling to BKK for a shag, however pretty sure Mrs Soutpeel would object to the idea.

what time does your "English class" start tomorrow ?

• Like 1

Songkran is a massive inconvenience, especially in Pattaya where they do it all week long. During the day you can't go outside and run errands, go shopping, go to the mall, go to a movie or do anything without getting doused. One or two days or a weekend is fine. But an entire week is not OK. I have delayed or postponed several trips to Thailand because my vacations or time off from work would have been during Songkran. I went once on purpose and hated it. It was just a mess.

But the worse thing about songkran was the hatred and violence I saw in many people's eyes. I see the contempt for the foreigners and whatever perceived notions some people have of them/us. So in that respect I like songkran because it is a relatively harmless way for the country to blow off steam.

I just don't want to put up with being soggy and wet all day long. I enjoy walking around, riding the baht busses around town, etc. Getting flooded with water for an entire week just keeps my tourist dollars in my pocket until another day.

• Like 1

but not to worry you are not alone I am sure some are here just to get a shag.

Actually I am gamefully employed here with a real job and have been for many years, Although I am not adverse to the concept of travelling to BKK for a shag, however pretty sure Mrs Soutpeel would object to the idea.

what time does your "English class" start tomorrow ?

Southpeel, maybe it's you who needs the English class. 'Gamefully employed'??? Do you mean 'gainfully employed' or do you play games for a living?? Probably a typo.

hellodolly, I'll be back. i enjoy a lot about Thailand, but I have to say I don't enjoy being dunked a hundred times a day, particularly when I gesture that I don't want to be.....again.

But the worse thing about songkran was the hatred and violence I saw in many people's eyes. I see the contempt for the foreigners and whatever perceived notions some people have of them/us.

I see a lot more hateful foreigners who just want to annoy as many people as possible than violent Thais. Most Thais just want to have fun and are not overly aggressive about it. I can not say the same about many Westerners.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I would say that those statistics are completely backwards and that is being generous.

I would say that those statistics are completely backwards and that is being generous.

On the basis that the principal reason for a tourist to be in Bangkok is to take a temple tour, and try to avoid the gem scams, it seems to be about right. It isn't as though they would ask "Are you in Bangkok to go to the beach?"

I'm with you Ulysses, I don't see hatred in Thai's eyes during songkran, more that they want to enjoy the water throwing, but some do become a bit overexcited/over enthusiastic about it. I don't find it offensive being wet down once or twice, but being soaked for hours on end does grow a bit tedious, and I think they should respect a hand signal indicating that I don't want to be soaked yet again.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Songkran is a massive inconvenience, especially in Pattaya where they do it all week long. During the day you can't go outside and run errands, go shopping, go to the mall, go to a movie or do anything without getting doused. One or two days or a weekend is fine. But an entire week is not OK. I have delayed or postponed several trips to Thailand because my vacations or time off from work would have been during Songkran. I went once on purpose and hated it. It was just a mess.

But the worse thing about songkran was the hatred and violence I saw in many people's eyes. I see the contempt for the foreigners and whatever perceived notions some people have of them/us. So in that respect I like songkran because it is a relatively harmless way for the country to blow off steam.

I just don't want to put up with being soggy and wet all day long. I enjoy walking around, riding the baht busses around town, etc. Getting flooded with water for an entire week just keeps my tourist dollars in my pocket until another day.

Another thing that's annoying is there a class divide related to this. Ride around in an enclosed aircon car and park in garages, you won't get touched. (And in Pattaya, no taxi meters so you've got to OWN the car.) Very Thai, a culture where pedestrians are priority ZERO. Yes, in Pattaya, which nobody is saying is a typical Thai city, I definitely also do see it is as a cathartic outlet for some Thai people to express aggression or payback for who knows what at the f-rang hordes. I think it is very silly to deny that reality. Edited by Jingthing

Sure, all the immature foreigners.

Not everyone is / can be as sophisticated as you Lifer giggle.gif I'm assume you don't celebrate Xmas, New Year, Halloween, etc., either. If some people, foreigners or not, want to join the festivities, then why not? Why does that make them "immature"? What will you be doing for Songkran?

To all the scrooges crying humbug, there is an old saying "When in Rome." The world doesn't revolve around grumpy individuals and if the majority like to smile and laugh then the rest can crawl into a cacoon suck thier thumbs and cry for a few days.