Exiled Thaksin Inches Closer To Return To Thailand

george

Hey there, Old Sailor:

post-37101-0-60189000-1334347563_thumb.j

Please don't put the masses of expat critics of Thaksinistas and redshirts (the majority of expats according to polling) in the same boat as a very small number of extremists who would post about assassinating anybody! Also, it's totally specious to suggest anti-Thaksinistas consider any Thai politician as squeaky clean. Nice try. Actually, not nice at all ...

"the majority of expats according to polling" - poll? Which poll was this?

It would be more polite to do your OWN searching. Next time, OK?

cheesy.gif

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry3461271

Oh <deleted>, do you expect me to take you seriously after that! Your own poll on this forum, how representative is that? Even the official polls of 1500 odd people "from around" thailand are pathetic, but that, words fail me............

Yes, do you have a BETTER poll about opinions of EXPATS? No, not saying any poll on Thaivisa is scientific, but where else but on thaivisa are you going to find ANY poll of EXPAT opinion? Actually, there is not one poll but a number done over the years showing the SAME RESULTS (search yourself, I'm not your private searchbot). (Now we are not allowed to open political topics or polls, so none recent.) I think it really is fair to say that of those expats that have an opinion on Thai politics, the majority are not pro-Thaksin and not pro red shirt. Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there, Old Sailor:

post-37101-0-60189000-1334347563_thumb.j

Please don't put the masses of expat critics of Thaksinistas and redshirts (the majority of expats according to polling) in the same boat as a very small number of extremists who would post about assassinating anybody! Also, it's totally specious to suggest anti-Thaksinistas consider any Thai politician as squeaky clean. Nice try. Actually, not nice at all ...

"the majority of expats according to polling" - poll? Which poll was this?

It would be more polite to do your OWN searching. Next time, OK?

cheesy.gif

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry3461271

Oh <deleted>, do you expect me to take you seriously after that! Your own poll on this forum, how representative is that? Even the official polls of 1500 odd people "from around" thailand are pathetic, but that, words fail me............

Actually phiphidon I am of the opinion that Jingthings post and poll is far more credible and taken more seriously than any post I have ever read of yours and I am sure many posters would agree.

Sure, anyone can, too.

But invariably the complainers don't and instead choose to clutter up threads with complaints about the lack of diverse news sources, rather than rectifying their complaint by posting news themselves.

It's in practically every News thread and one that is easily solved.... if the issue was as profound as some try to paint it.

Well actually it's only easily solved if you can post news articles as a beginning of a thread.

As mere mortals we can't and end up having to react to the stuff that is given us to read and comment on.

You can. To repeat, as a member, can also post news from other news sources as an original thread in General forum and request it be moved to News forum.

How hard is that? I've done so several times myself.

If it's a pre-existing News thread, post news from sources that counter the OP if you disagree with the OP news source.

Both are easy, but quite a few choose not to and instead rail endlessly about the news that is posted as OP. It's all lazy BS.

Well obviously it's not hard, if you are aware that you can do that. If you are not, like I and probably a good many more than it isn't easy. It's not as if its shouted down from the rooftops on here is it?

Where do you find this stuff out? I only found out about the max. no. of quotations thing by trial and error.

I've posted as much several times how to go about it with no demonstrable change from the people I've addressed it to specifically.

They are the ones that other members see still doing so in current threads. Still whining, still complaining

Beyond that, if I have a question as to how to do anything regarding the forum, I use the Forum Support Desk forum or PM a mod on duty.

Why on Earth anyone would not use that common sense approach is beyond me, but little about the forum surprises me anymore.

It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous accusations thrown at Thaksin by persons on Thai Visa.

Yes, visitors to this country who really have no right to carry on in this way. Some even to the point of suggesting assassination ! This is outright incitement which should be rewarded with a jail term. They constantly whinge about Thaksin even though its nothing to do with them and therefore none of their business. They accuse him of everything that they can think of, they fail to compare some of the corruption perpetrated by the likes of Suthep and others of the Democrat party who in their eyes are "squeeky" clean and can do no wrong. Foreigners can have no say in Thai politics so should just shut up. And as for those scum who are talking of assassination, should be banned in TV, its really shameful that the mods let it through when they suspend others who sometimes make genuine mistakes.

This isn't Thailand it's the internet, where people often gather to give opinions. You have no say on how the internet is run so maybe you should shut up if you want to follow your own advice.

For most of the foreigners on here they have will have an interest in what happens as they may be living here or investing here and many have family here.

In my opinion you are right that people shouldn't incite violence although I don't know if that is against Thai law but I seem to remember there was a lot of incitement to violence during the red shirt protests. I haven't checked to see if anyone has actually suggested that Thaksin should be assassinated by the way.

You're also right that others have been corrupt as well and should be dealt with the same but it's noticeable that the Thaksin / PTP supporters usually complain about posters accusations aimed at Thaksin in threads on this forum that arise out of news stories. Why are there so few, if any stories or threads about corruption in the opposition?

"Why are there so few, if any stories or threads about corruption in the opposition?"

Because 90% of the news here comes from The Nation and TANN, mouthpieces for the right. I thought that seemed kind of obvious.

Other news sources not beholden to the right have no difficulty pointing out the corruption, human rights abuses, censorship, etc from the right.

Sure, anyone can, too.

But invariably the complainers don't and instead choose to clutter up threads with complaints about the lack of diverse news sources, rather than rectifying their complaint by posting news themselves.

It's in practically every News thread and one that is easily solved.... if the issue was as profound as some try to paint it.

Well actually it's only easily solved if you can post news articles as a beginning of a thread.

As mere mortals we can't and end up having to react to the stuff that is given us to read and comment on.

The cause is lost on Bucholtz - he doesn't believe information posted unless he posted it. His indignation is specious.

You can. To repeat, as a member, can also post news from other news sources as an original thread in General forum and request it be moved to News forum.

How hard is that? I've done so several times myself.

If it's a pre-existing News thread, post news from sources that counter the OP if you disagree with the OP news source.

Both are easy, but quite a few choose not to and instead rail endlessly about the news that is posted as OP. It's all lazy BS.

Well obviously it's not hard, if you are aware that you can do that. If you are not, like I and probably a good many more than it isn't easy. It's not as if its shouted down from the rooftops on here is it?

Where do you find this stuff out? I only found out about the max. no. of quotations thing by trial and error.

I've posted as much several times how to go about it with no demonstrable change from the people I've addressed it to specifically.

They are the ones that other members see still doing so in current threads. Still whining, still complaining

and not 5 minutes later.... almost as if by cue...

Because 90% of the news here comes from The Nation and TANN, mouthpieces for the right. I thought that seemed kind of obvious.

Other news sources not beholden to the right have no difficulty pointing out the corruption, human rights abuses, censorship, etc from the right.

Sure, anyone can, too.

The cause is lost on Bucholtz - he doesn't believe information posted unless he posted it. His indignation is specious.

Absolute nonsense.

Post from any credible news source and I have no problem with it.

Post from Red Shirt Facebook as a source and yes, I might object to it as a credible news outlet.

Edited by Buchholz

It never ceases to amaze me at the venomous accusations thrown at Thaksin by persons on Thai Visa.

Yes, visitors to this country who really have no right to carry on in this way. Some even to the point of suggesting assassination ! This is outright incitement which should be rewarded with a jail term. They constantly whinge about Thaksin even though its nothing to do with them and therefore none of their business. They accuse him of everything that they can think of, they fail to compare some of the corruption perpetrated by the likes of Suthep and others of the Democrat party who in their eyes are "squeeky" clean and can do no wrong. Foreigners can have no say in Thai politics so should just shut up. And as for those scum who are talking of assassination, should be banned in TV, its really shameful that the mods let it through when they suspend others who sometimes make genuine mistakes.

This isn't Thailand it's the internet, where people often gather to give opinions. You have no say on how the internet is run so maybe you should shut up if you want to follow your own advice.

For most of the foreigners on here they have will have an interest in what happens as they may be living here or investing here and many have family here.

In my opinion you are right that people shouldn't incite violence although I don't know if that is against Thai law but I seem to remember there was a lot of incitement to violence during the red shirt protests. I haven't checked to see if anyone has actually suggested that Thaksin should be assassinated by the way.

You're also right that others have been corrupt as well and should be dealt with the same but it's noticeable that the Thaksin / PTP supporters usually complain about posters accusations aimed at Thaksin in threads on this forum that arise out of news stories. Why are there so few, if any stories or threads about corruption in the opposition?

"Why are there so few, if any stories or threads about corruption in the opposition?"

The opposition hasn't much chance to be corrupt. Usually the people in power are corrupt. Why anyone should pay the opposition?

The opposition hasn't much chance to be corrupt. Usually the people in power are corrupt. Why anyone should pay the opposition?

Well, there be the crux of the issue, the Dems don't need donations to their cause.

Think about this, when Khun T first came to power, my first though was this "at last, a man of the people, an ordinary man who has made his own fortune who now wants to work for the benefit of the ordinary people and as he is also incredibly wealthy, he is doing it for them"

Guess what, I woke up from that dream when I realised that he is just a self serving individual who will trample over any object in his path to get what he desires, and what he desires is total control and a subservient population that wai him and spread rose petals before his every step (example Man C)

I managed to change my opinion based on trend and evidence, and I do feel really sorry for those who have failed to catch up with reality.

K. Thaksin said something like "I'm rich already, I have no need to be corrupt". I must admit I'm not sure if that was before or after the tearfull honest mistake with shares held by a maid and a driver dry.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

As former PM Abhisit said.a "tsunami" will hit thailand if a convicted fugitive former PM returns without being arrested .I wont be around here soon but if the people of this country care anything about the rule of law(which I have serious doubts anyway) then they should take to the streets in their hundreds of thousands and show contempt for this squalid thug led excuse for government

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

interesting you use the term the"right". I too would use that word,definition being "correct"or more precise "facts". Your red thug UDD supporting views would go down well in some of the thai language red press. You dont know the difference between right and left on the political spectrum in Thailand

Edited by KKvampire

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely (J D-A)

Using Occam's razor, could it be that few stories exist because of fewer opportunities? I doubt if you would recognise the obvious if it bit you.

Edited by OzMick

I wonder how many of your likees have maids or house cleaners?

In the meantime as a presumably "normal hard-working Uni-grad & attractive & smart Thai woman " you would seem to be in a better position than most to affect change. What are doing about it, apart from joining in the bandwaggon of prodominantly western mature expat right wing democrat supporters jeerings about the present government?

Do you have views on the plight of your up country normal hard working woman - what do you think of the Womens Fund? Will the 300 baht minimum wage attract the women away from the grind that is "tidy the house & clean things up before the man returned home". Is there anything else that could be done? This kind of viewpoint would be refreshing on here.

No disrespect, but what we don't need on here is another "good 'ol boy" whining, there's enough of those already.

None taken. And I don't speak for other people, only for me.

My point was really that we were sold the Yingluck PM thing as a huge step forward for all women in Asia (including your upcountry Thai women you mention), she was bright and smart and going to work tirelessly for reform etc. It was seen as a massive positive victory for gender equality. There was a sense of novelty - the new dawn, etc.etc. being spouted allover the news and the net.

If we are now seeing that she was merely a sacrificial pawn in a game of chess played by powerful men, then this means she was merely doing what men told her to do all along, she was entirely subservient & docile. The fact that this was played out on TV is a actually a huge SETBACK for the Equality-Movement.

It means that in the eyes of the world, Asian women are truly not independant and even when they attain prime-ministership they merely do so as catalysts to re-install corrupt men. On her current performance, Yingluck is far from what the news and the web were buzzing about, far from the new beacon of hope for all Asian women. Every step closer to Thailand that Thaksin takes, seemingly as inevitable as continental drift or coastal erosion, it becomes clear that Yingluck at best is a sort of gangster's moll, a powerless woman who was just manipulated & paid off with banquets and nice shoes. The very opposite of gender equality, where you get the job by decades of hard work & by being the best man / woman for the job.

My contention is that Thailand still has yet to have its first female PM. Maybe she will arrive in twenty years, she might have worked a REAL job before joining politics, like being head-nurse for 20 years and seeing road accident victims up close and food/water poisoning victims up close, and she might have a strong agenda for reforming those societal problems & ignoring the bribes and gangsterism all around her.

It is a humiliating & crushing performance on the world stage, a great embarrasment to all concerned, if Yingluck was only installed into power so that she could leave the doors unlocked awaiting the Master's return to the manor.

summarizes yingluck her failures and being manipulated