Americans Filing Taxes

I do want to restate what the taxact.com website said clearly about filing the extension form. It clearly said the form gives you SIX MONTHS from mid April but if you are a U.S. citizen (or resident) abroad during the time of FILING the extension form, the extension is only for FOUR MONTHS. Sounds bizarre, I know. The automatic extension without filing a form is of course two months for those abroad. I still don't know what to think.

I do want to restate what the taxact.com website said clearly about filing the extension form. It clearly said the form gives you SIX MONTHS from mid April but if you are a U.S. citizen (or resident) abroad during the time of FILING the extension form, the extension is only for FOUR MONTHS. Sounds bizarre, I know. The automatic extension without filing a form is of course two months for those abroad. I still don't know what to think.

Would it not be because you already have the 2 months by being a citizen abroad without asking so if you also ask with the form you will then only get four more months if a citizen? IE four months beyond the automatic two months (not another six months). Just my guess.

It clearly said the form gives you SIX MONTHS from mid April but if you are a U.S. citizen (or resident) abroad during the time of FILING the extension form, the extension is only for FOUR MONTHS. Sounds bizarre, I know. The automatic extension without filing a form is of course two months for those abroad. I still don't know what to think.

JT, the 4 months is just added on to the automatic 2 month extension, obtained without filing any form. If the 2 months extension is not enough time, you submit Form 4868, checking block 8, saying you were "out of the country" on April 17, thus allowing you to file Form 4868 two months late. In total, it all adds up to 6 months of extension. Going this route gives you the same 6 month extension, had you gone with the 4868 in April, but with the late filing penalty for the first two months waived.

This from the Form 4868 instructions. Again, for those who find June 15, 2012, not sufficient time to file their tax form after opting for the automatic 2 month extension. Still amounts to 6 months total.

Taxpayers who are out of the country. If, on the regular due date

of your return, you are out of the country and a U.S. citizen or

resident, you are allowed 2 extra months to file your return and pay

any amount due without requesting an extension. For a calendar

year return, this is June 15, 2012. File this form and be sure to

check the box on line 8 if you need an additional 4 months to file

your return.