We've Heard The Warnings; Why Can't We Learn?: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

We've heard the warnings; why can't we learn?

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Songkran brings the short annual campaign against drunk and irresponsible driving, but this should be a permanent programme to teach people about personal responsibility

The Songkran holiday is upon us again, along with the usual serious warnings about the road accidents that become prevalent during the long New Year festival. Thais should be able to celebrate this auspicious occasion with joy. Instead, the Songkran festival's joyous mood is always ruined by the carnage on our roads.

Songkran is an occasion when family members reunite to mark an auspicious start to the traditional New Year. Water symbolises the washing away of bad things in the past, cleansing and forgiveness and letting go before stepping into a promising new era. But for many thousands of people at this time each year, this message loses all meaning, as several hundred Thais lose their lives in road accidents. It seems that we never learn the lesson, and we have come to expect a horrific death toll each year.

Last year, the festival was dubbed the "seven dangerous days". Around 300 people were killed on the nation's roads during the April 11 to 17 period, with another 3,000 injured.

It is unfortunate, but no surprise, that drunk driving is the most common cause of road accidents during Songkran. All of these accidents could be prevented if people abided by the law. Drunk driving is illegal, but, in festive mood, some drivers do not care about the dangers of alcohol abuse, and this results in accidents. Often, the damage is not limited to the driver, but also other innocent people.

The high number of road accidents in Thailand generally - not only at this time of year - shows that we have a poor understanding of road safety. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a common problem that is taken far too lightly.

Every year at his time, government agencies and non-governmental organisations campaign to prevent drunk driving. There have been attempts to impose restrictions on selling alcohol. But these campaigns are not successful, practical or effective, as witnessed by the number of fatalities every year. People can easily stock up on alcohol supplies any time they want in advance of any ban.

Is it possible for once that all parties join forces to fix the drunk-driving problem during Songkran? First of all, people should be aware of the destruction they can cause by drunk driving. Drivers need to be aware that alcohol will affect their mental state and increase the risk of accidents. Law enforcement must also be tightened. Driving under the influence of alcohol is a serious offence in developed countries, with severe penalties for violators. In Thailand, enforcement of the drunk-driving law is lax at best.

Serious punishments must be imposed, including jail terms, heavy fines, suspending or revoking driving licenses, counselling and mandatory alcohol education, plus social work. The working hours of some drivers should also be limited to ensure their full awareness and capacity. For instance, some truck drivers use drugs as stimulants because of the tight schedules and long hours they are subjected to.

The focus on casualty numbers may not give a realistic picture because provincial authorities will always try to minimise their death tolls over Songkran. In fact, the number of accidents over the whole year is unacceptable in all provinces.

In the longer term, our public transportation systems must be improved to encourage people to use other, and safer, transportation modes such as railways, as opposed to private vehicles.

The campaign to raise people's awareness about alcohol and road accidents should be a whole year exercise, not just during long public holidays. Awareness of personal responsibility should be instilled from an early age. People must realise that abiding by the law is their duty. It is all part of being a good citizen.

Alcohol-impaired driving is a national problem, in spite of the campaigns against it every year. And every year we see more people left victim by tragic, but preventable, road accidents.

It is truly sad that we have not learned the terrible lessons of the past. It comes down to simply knowing your limit. If you are not sure, just stop before hurting yourself or anyone else.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-13

Had cause to drive from Kanchanaburi to Khon Kaen on Wednesday and make the return journey yesterday. I decided to make a note of any "incidents"

Kan to Ban Len - Motorcycle wiped out at a t-junction

Highway 1 to Saraburi - 3 rear end shunt accidents. 1 involving 5 cars.

i pick up dumped it's load of oranges in the fast lane.

Saraburi to Korat - Sip Lor in a ditch in the central reservation

Motorcycle in a ditch in the central reservation. Rider appeared dead. Loads of emergency personnel

2 more rear end shunts

2 car smash up at a u-turn

Korat to Khon Kaen - pick up in the central reservation ditch

Retrun journey

Bus in the central reservation ditch

Pick up head on into a tree in the central reservation ditch

2 pick ups in an obviously head on. On the same carriageway

1 more rear end shunt.

I only wish I were exaggerating.

The thing that done me most was despite witnessing 3 rear end shunts on Highway 1 I was still tailgated 90% of the time. In the end I was getting so pissed off nervously checking my rear view all the time as Mr Toyota Commuter or Mr Intercity bus latched themselves onto my rear bumper I went into the frontage road and sedately dawdled my way to Saraburi at about 60km/h.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

The trouble; being in many cases too much alcohol consumed prior to venturing forth on the journey home, the parties should start at ones destination rather than at the first step of the journey.

First the man takes a drink

Then the drink takes a drink

And then the drink takes the man

(Old Japanese proverb)

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Drink driving is a major problem, but the base problem is still a lack of education in proper driving, safe driving, and the avoidance of situations likely to cause or result in an accident - a methodology known as defenisive driving.

It doesnt have to mean driving along at 30Km/hr...in fact that sort of thing is also a cause of accidents.

It teaches the sensible and effective way to drive safely.

I must admit that I dont always drive as carefully as I should - most dont, but being aware of the surroundings is critical.

Making sure that when you drive you are neither too slow on the road - causing others to drive impatiently and take risks to get around you - nor too fast for the conditions or situation...making sure to look before driving out onto an intersection, or even just entering the road...I see this sort of stupididyt every day.

Education will reduce a lot of the minor, and many of the major crashes - then education on drink driving can help people to understand the dangers associated with that aspect of life behind the wheel as well.

• Like 2

Wifey went to Issan from Bangkok late Wednesday night. She was amazed at how many accidents she saw. A big semi went crazy in front of their car and ended up overturning in a ditch. She thinks the driver fell asleep.

I don't think she's going back to the village next year. Too dangerous...

More accidents seen on this thread in two days than I have seen in total in my 4.3 years living in Thailand. Bearing this in mind I wonder if yesterdays 'official' figure of 30 dead in accidents can possibly be anywhere near the mark?

Wifey went to Issan from Bangkok late Wednesday night. She was amazed at how many accidents she saw. A big semi went crazy in front of their car and ended up overturning in a ditch. She thinks the driver fell asleep.

I don't think she's going back to the village next year. Too dangerous...

It was grim Craig. What was doing me was at the long queues at traffic lights there were tossers flying up the barely passable hard shoulder at full speed to get ahead (including buses). Did I wish them dead? So long as they don't take innocents with them ( which unfortunately is rarely the case) for sure. Natural selection at work and remove themselves from this mortal coil before they do kill somebody. <Snip!> 'em. I feel that strongly about it.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

More accidents seen on this thread in two days than I have seen in total in my 4.3 years living in Thailand. Bearing this in mind I wonder if yesterdays 'official' figure of 30 dead in accidents can possibly be anywhere near the mark?

This has been discussed before and the general consensus is that it is nowhere near the mark.

The fatality has to happen at the scene of the accident for it to count, dying in hospital or wherever of injuries incurred doesn't count.

Plus, how many never get reported?

And the article is right, it shouldn't just be a seven day problem.

Edited by Thaddeus

"The high number of road accidents in Thailand generally - not only at this time of year - shows that we have a poor understanding of road safety." Says it all.

Road safety is not a consideration here. If it was people would wear helmets all the time when riding motorbikes, seat belts would be available in those death trap mini-vans, and you wouldn't transport 30 people in the back of a pick-up truck (especially at 110 Km/h). Drunk driving is just another add-on to an already long list. I think the fact that Thailand also has poor safety standards in their vehicle construction and road design also contributes to the number of fatalities (vs. recoverable injuries).

So, why? There are laws for all of this just like other countries. However, in other countries, if you get caught without a helmet you get a stiff fine. Do it more than once and you may lose your license. Drive without a license and you'll go to jail. Does any of that happen here? No...or if it does it's rare. Why? I suspect it's due to the fact that all you have to do is slip Mr. Policeman 100 Baht and you're on your way.

It's also because they simply have a different attitude to injuries and death it seems. Almost like it's commonplace, no big deal or unavoidable. Whereas we're taught that accidents are avoidable and unnecessary. Education is part of it, but so is enforcement.

Year after year we are told the same story, a concentrated effort against drink and drive offenders will take place during Songkran (and other holiday periods), and each year we are presented by mind-boggling figures of death and injury during these periods. Most newspapers (if not all) showing amassed figures during the festival(s), and having a province leading table.

What is not taken into account with this running commentary is the daily average for accidents that occur nationwide. Until that is done then the general public is being fed false figures, associating all accidents only to the Songkran (or other festival) period(s). This to me is of paramount importance to show the true increase figures.

If the government is serious about addressing this issue, then it has to be a continuous ongoing effort to bring down the number of accidents annually and not just for given periods. If not, at the end of the clampdown, drivers will revert to their normal practices as soon as the road blocks disappear.

This is obviously a long-term solution (some people would dispute that the phrase long-term exists here) but it is the only solution that will work. Increase the fines/prison time and bans, improve on the standards of the driving test and educate the drivers.

And yes, I do recognise that holiday periods are increased risk periods, I still believe the public has the right to see true figures. Perhaps this would have a greater effect on the public's conscience, who knows?

I was driving during Songkran and few years prior, encountered a police check point conducting drinking/driving inspections and guess what...."the 6 coppers sitting in the police tent were all shit-faced with numerous liquor and beer bottles lining their table" at the check point! Now, that should pretty much sum up the situation, ZERO enforcement by law enforcement! Hard to take these media stories seriously when the Thai authorities do nothing!

Drink driving is a major problem, but the base problem is still a lack of education in proper driving, safe driving, and the avoidance of situations likely to cause or result in an accident - a methodology known as defenisive driving.

It doesnt have to mean driving along at 30Km/hr...in fact that sort of thing is also a cause of accidents.

It teaches the sensible and effective way to drive safely.

I must admit that I dont always drive as carefully as I should - most dont, but being aware of the surroundings is critical.

Making sure that when you drive you are neither too slow on the road - causing others to drive impatiently and take risks to get around you - nor too fast for the conditions or situation...making sure to look before driving out onto an intersection, or even just entering the road...I see this sort of stupididyt every day.

Education will reduce a lot of the minor, and many of the major crashes - then education on drink driving can help people to understand the dangers associated with that aspect of life behind the wheel as well.

I see a friend of mine have his drivers license in about 10 minuts afther he had first had to do a test. He makes 2 mistakes but he gets his licens. I not understand that. I drive manny times in the Nort-easth, not so bussy but somthimes i am affraid.(sorry for mine mistakes in Englisch)

The answer is education, i remember in the Uk when they started the campaign for drinking and drive. helments on motorbikes. seat belts. yearly safety checks on vehicle's more than 3 year old it was on Televison in the papers, poster's on the streets and of course the law was enforced it all took time but it happened. Can we see all this happening in Thailand.

I forgot driving tests which you have to pass

Edited by jocko

This is a government problem as is the case with most things.

Apart from there being virtually no effective policing of traffic offences (real offences,- not tea-money excercises) there are no real consequences arising from any of these road calamities.

Police are inadequately trained or compensated and there is no road awareness safety or effects of alcohol in driving given as education to school students or any serious advertising campaigns to educate adults.

I've lost count of the number or red traffic light jumpers I've seen (some within a whisker of a major accident), add to that totally unroadworthy and unregistered vehicles as well as those monsters that drive at nigtht without headlights on (either broken or too drunk to realize they we're off?). Motorcyclists that insist on driving in the wrong direction on the left shoulder becuase it was convenient,..and/or cutting across 2 or 3 lanes of traffic to make a turn (some of these with mum, daughter and baby on back all without helmets.

While ever we have governments and the hi-so rich capitalizing on the ignorance of the common people we shall always have these sad statistics with us. They have no desire to educate and elevate and whilst ever this prevails there will always be tragic circumstances.

And its not just the present day government,.. we've had the best part of 80 years of government in this country that have all failed to rise to the call.

Shame on them and pity the wonderful common people of Thailand!

• Like 1

Applying Darwinian principles this daily carnage should result in the average Thai IQ going up. My village has been a nicer place since three of its residents removed themselves from the human race. Perhaps all this is a secret government policy.

I don't know where is the problem to change the situation in the future! Just change the rules:

1. Blood alcohol content for drivers must be ZERO!
  2. If the BAC is between 0.01-0.05, the driver loses his driving licence (1 year) and must pay a fine of 2.000,- Baht.
  3. If the BAC is between 0.05-0.12, the driver loses his driving licence (1year) and must pay a fine of 5.000,- Baht.
  4. If the BAC is between 0.12-0.16, the driver loses his driving licence (2 years), must pay a fine of 10.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 7 days in the monkeyhouse.
  5. If the BAC is over 0.16, the driver loses his driving licence (2 years), must pay a fine of 10.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 1 month in the monkeyhouse.
  6. If a accident happend about a drunken driver, the driver loses his driving licence (between 1-5 years), must pay a fine of 40.000-200.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 1 month up to 5 years in the monkeyhouse. Possible about how heavy the accident.

If the police striktly work about this rules, the road accidents sink down to 10% from now.

"The high number of road accidents in Thailand generally - not only at this time of year - shows that we have a poor understanding of road safety."

That is exactly the problem, in a nutshell. Thais, in fact, have a poor understanding of safety in most walks of life - and work.

A few months ago, the police expanded traffic control to include women and one of the women officers observed that they thought motorists would see them as less aggressive than their male counterparts. That comment missed the point by a mile. Neither the aggressive nor the delicate approach is of use when dealing with miscreants who cannot actually differ between right and wrong.

Thai drivers sail along the wrong side of the road to turn right at lights, regardless of the road being two-way; they turn at junctions in front of each other, thus creating blindspots; they persist in squeezing through changing - and red - lights, irrespective of the fact that the road ahead is blocked, so preventing drivers who then have right of way, from crossing the junction. Thai drivers park on pedestrian crossings - having, in any case, absolutely no idea what the crossings represent when the driver is on the move - and stop on yellow-box junctions, oblivious to their purpose. The police not only fail to act, but often exacerbate these problems, and others, by, for example, playing around with traffic lights that technically, though dated, are computerised; or by standing in the middle of a junction flapping their hands about in a series of gestures that invariably cause more chaos than they ever mitigate. The junction at Thonglor Soi 10 is a case in point for much of the foregoing.

It is overwhelmingly evident that Thai drivers, by-and-large, actually have little, if any, understanding of road signs, road markings or of road safety; hence, drink driving needs to be addressed in the context of safety as a whole, with, perhaps, something along the lines of compulsory secondary testing - at least the theory - being introduced. And, naturally, the introduction [where necessary] and robust prosecution of swingeing penalties - as opposed to the typically laughable ones - including licence endorsement, licence suspension, and prison time.

But then again - this is Thailand. Will common sense supplant complacency? We'll have to wait and see.

As an aside: a Thai licence permits the holder to drive on UK soil without even the need of an international driving permit. A terrifying thought, with the UK authorities seemingly oblivious to a policy fraught with danger. Your Excellency?

Of course they are not simply dumb its reinforced by karmadharma a belief in reincarnation nd a general sabai sabai it'll ever happen to me attitude.If they knew that mortgaged 4x4 will be confiscated or even rich imprisoned for drunk driving etc.

As we all no if we wanted to population control of the most stupid,allow underage over drunk uninsured at large.

Load rear with unstrapped kids,Allow traffic wrong way on divided highways with no lights no poicing and the piece de resistance instead of lit signed traffic circles or traffic stop lights marked by bumps lamps ,sleeping policeman have endles U turns with large trucks buses regularaly swinging across oncoming speeding traffic.

Only thing I think of to up the annual horrendous tally is worse enforcement ,alcohol fuelled long distance journeys rain and throwing dirty water at drunk motor cyclists.

Chok Dee,walk and bicycle across thePaddys for me until the"sanook" subsides.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

Had cause to drive from Kanchanaburi to Khon Kaen on Wednesday and make the return journey yesterday. I decided to make a note of any "incidents"

Kan to Ban Len - Motorcycle wiped out at a t-junction

Highway 1 to Saraburi - 3 rear end shunt accidents. 1 involving 5 cars.

i pick up dumped it's load of oranges in the fast lane.

Saraburi to Korat - Sip Lor in a ditch in the central reservation

Motorcycle in a ditch in the central reservation. Rider appeared dead. Loads of emergency personnel

2 more rear end shunts

2 car smash up at a u-turn

Korat to Khon Kaen - pick up in the central reservation ditch

Retrun journey

Bus in the central reservation ditch

Pick up head on into a tree in the central reservation ditch

2 pick ups in an obviously head on. On the same carriageway

1 more rear end shunt.

I only wish I were exaggerating.

The thing that done me most was despite witnessing 3 rear end shunts on Highway 1 I was still tailgated 90% of the time. In the end I was getting so pissed off nervously checking my rear view all the time as Mr Toyota Commuter or Mr Intercity bus latched themselves onto my rear bumper I went into the frontage road and sedately dawdled my way to Saraburi at about 60km/h.

What I have found often works with tailgaters is to stare hard in the mirror. They do tend to get the idea. Problem is, your eyes aren't fully on the road whilst they are on the rear mirror.

And, of course, the old tricks of touching the brakes - can be hair raising - and of rear lights as brakes - depends how bright they are.

I think Western countries once had this problem with drinking and driving (ok, it still does) but due to harsh laws ( get caught you may lose your license...a serious point system of violations ) but with strict laws and police enforcement and a HUGE advertising campaign to have a sober driver behind the wheel, this problem has been greatly reduced. Could the same improvement on drunk driving happen in Thailand like in the West? I doubt it, the police would just accept a bribe.

I don't know where is the problem to change the situation in the future! Just change the rules:

1. Blood alcohol content for drivers must be ZERO!
  2. If the BAC is between 0.01-0.05, the driver loses his driving licence (1 year) and must pay a fine of 2.000,- Baht.
  3. If the BAC is between 0.05-0.12, the driver loses his driving licence (1year) and must pay a fine of 5.000,- Baht.
  4. If the BAC is between 0.12-0.16, the driver loses his driving licence (2 years), must pay a fine of 10.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 7 days in the monkeyhouse.
  5. If the BAC is over 0.16, the driver loses his driving licence (2 years), must pay a fine of 10.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 1 month in the monkeyhouse.
  6. If a accident happend about a drunken driver, the driver loses his driving licence (between 1-5 years), must pay a fine of 40.000-200.000,- Baht and just must go direct for 1 month up to 5 years in the monkeyhouse. Possible about how heavy the accident.

If the police striktly work about this rules, the road accidents sink down to 10% from now.

The problem with this is that many do not have a driving licence, and those that have will lose it and join those that haven't.

• Blood alcohol content for drivers must be ZERO!
  • If the BAC is between 0.01-0.05, the driver loses his driving licence (1 year) and must pay a fine of 2.000,- Baht.

Well that is strict even by western standards. My country is a shit hole exactly because of strict policies like this that land even occasional social drinkers in prison for having a single drink and not even being drunk. Hell, in my country they lock up people ride bicycles drunk. It just goes too far.

Enforcement of even lax drinking and driving policies is hard enough in Thailand. You have to consider that many drivers in Thailand don't have licenses to begin with (and who checks for these things anyway?), so the threat of losing your license isn't really an incentive to drive sober. 2000baht is an insanely high fine for your average Thai person. Most can't afford to pay this, and then what do you plan to do? Turn Thailand into a prison-state?

• Like 1