Thaksin Vows To Be Back In Thailand For His Birthday In July

webfact

Thaksin vows to be back for birthday

The Nation

30179942-01_big.jpg

Pheu Thai Party

CHAMPASAK/LAOS: -- Fugitive former PMThaksin Shinawatra told his red-shirt supporters yesterday that he would return to Thailand in the next three or four months.

Thaksin, who has been in self-exile overseas, did not specify the exact date but he had said earlier that his supporters were preparing for his return as "a birthday present". His birthday is on July 26.

"This year's Songkran is a good sign that we will be happy together again. I will certainly come back in the next three or four months," Thaksin said. "All the Thais will be happy. From now on, there will be no yellow shirts and red shirts. Thai people will make up their differences. I can't help people who don't want to reconcile," he said, in a probable reference to opponents of the government's "rushed reconciliation" moves.

He was addressing a group of red shirts, mostly from the Northeast, at a hotel in Laos' southern province of Champasak.

Thaksin also claimed credit for selecting his sister Yingluck Shinawatra as a prime-ministerial candidate. "Although I was overseas, I helped you appoint a prime minister. I chose my younger sister as PM candidate because I thought she could do the job," he said.

"I believe Prime Minister Yingluck will complete her [four-year] term in office," said Thaksin, who political observers believe is pulling strings behind her government.

He also said that the government was implementing many projects to help prop up prices of farm produce, help poor people and farmers with their debts, and build motorways and high-speed rail routes.

Earlier yesterday in Vientiane, Thaksin praised Yingluck for avoiding his errors by refraining from countering political attacks. He said it was the right strategy for her while serving as the government head.

"It is best not to counterattack. She is doing better than I did. I can't compare to her in this regard. The PM is patient, and she does not counter anyone. She is just doing her job. That's the right thing to do. I did it wrong and she should not copy me," he said.

Thaksin also praised Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda, who is regarded by many of Thaksin's supporters as his arch-rival. "In fact, Pa Prem is a senior figure I respect and admire," he said of the 91-year-old elder statesman.

Thaksin called on Thais to unite for the betterment of the country.

"Songkran should serve as a good beginning for the Thais throughout the country to love one another. We will do it for our King, for our country to get stronger, and for every one of us to be happy," Thaksin said.

The Thai ambassador to Laos, Witthawat Sriwihok, said Thaksin could travel to Laos because of his good personal ties with many high-ranking officials in the Laotian government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-14

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reconcilliation process can be completed in 3 months? Anyone want to bet that he will be back for his birthday?

We know how lawless Thailand is; if he does return he is at much greater risk of being assessinated.

"I can't help people who don't want to reconcile," he said

i wonder if he has ever stopped to consider whether or not people actually want or need his help?? Perhaps the people of Thailand have the skills and wisdom to actually help themselves and his constant media circus is doing more harm than good.

Without being cynical, as I know there are a lot of genuine government supporters here. I can't help but feel that

'I can't pay people who don't want to reconcile' he said would be a better articulation of his thoughts

Edited by jonclark
  • Like 1

Don't care either way. The obsession with him borders on God like. Bizarre.

Me neither. But, look at those who harp on his name continuoudly: Abhisit, in order to stay relevant after being booed out of office and TV, to generate traffic and add more clicks to the bottom line. His name is a commodity for Mark because apparently Thailand has only one problem: Thaksin. What about the seasonal floods, the falling 4-5 notches on the list of best countries to invest, the companies that pulled out of Thailand, the small ones that were devastated by the 2011 floods, the rise in food and fuel prices, tourism affected by civil unrest in the South, the plight of millions of Laotians, Cambodians and Burmese while living in virtual indenture in Thailand...? To name only a few. Nah! All that can wait. For Abhisit and the anti-thaksinistas, Thaksin is the evil we all have to fight and defeat him that Thailand will be Thailand again. All other problems affecting this country are secondary. OCD, oi vey!

• Like 2

Many googles and postings on here have still yet to show me what an evil monger this guy is? PLEASE tell me what he did or does that is so evil. I have googled him many times (sounds dirty) . Wiki'd him. Asked on this forum and many others. All I got in response was . Look him up. I DID MOTHER <deleted>#$ER. TELL ME WHAT HE DID? ahh emm Garunar. khap kuun khrap

I am new to Thailand. been here only one year. I don't know $hit about what happened here before I got here. Is anyone willing to help me.? Post or PM me please. I am ignorant of this situation as to why everyone has so much anxiety about this person. Don't respond with what you think is a witty remark. Don't give a $hit about your skull. I want to know facts and reasons. Thank you

LMGTFY.

War on drugs:

http://en.wikipedia....i-drug_policies

Tak Bai:

http://en.wikipedia....ak_Bai_Incident

Shin Corp sale to Temasek:

http://en.wikipedia....emasek_Holdings

And my all time favortie, the Ratcahadipisek land deal:

http://en.wikipedia....ase_controversy

Granted this are all Wikipediea links, but if you want to look further, you can see this all took place.

When I was laying in bed on soi 33 on Sept. 19, 2006, and my wife woke me up and told me about the coup, I was personally a happy man. Some people around here will tell you that an ELECTED Prime Minister was ousted by the military, but that wasn't the case at all. The elections were ruled invalid due to no participation from the other parties. At that point he made himself PM. He had to be stopped. I'm no fan of military governments being American, but someone had to stop him. Also, when he went for Royal Endorsement when he won that one sided election and didn'y get it. Wonder why that happened?

I watched all this live from Bangkok. They guy is nothing less than a thug and a criminal. He should be treated as such.

Hope that clears it up.

Actually, the points above are pretty much standard for Thai politicians. There are two reasons by Thaksin is so evil. The first cannot be discussed here. The second is that he refused to accept that he had overstepped the bounds of 'acceptable corruption' and had to be removed by a coup, rather than resign. Then, after he was permitted to return (as almost all deposed PMs were) he refused to accept the legal judgement against him in the Ratchadapisek land deal. It was not fear of jail time that motivated him to flee the country, it was the fact that accepting his guilt would have ended his political career, (which was why he was found guilty).

Thaksin's ego is monumental and he will do anything to win on his terms. Anything seems to include random bomb attacks (mostly by RPGs), funding huge anti-government demonstrations, broadcasting and printing endless pro-Thaksin and anti-(cannot discuss) propaganda and running his sister's government via Skype!

If Thaksin and his megalomania were removed from the equation, Thai politics would return to the normal bickering and the level of animosity would subside. He is the most divisive figure in Thailand today.

• Like 2

Thaksin is such a supreme example of the word "egotistical". I think he compare to historical "evils" such as Hitler, Stalin... (u can add to the list).

Ok, let's add to the list:

H.Truman (first and, so far, only human being to launch a nuclear attack)

R. Nixon, (lied incessantly to the American people)

H. Kissinger (war criminal) (as National Security Adviser had instant access to President)

A. Pinochet (war criminal)

Douglas Haig (fathead, arrogant idiot who caused untold millions of deaths in WW1) (too big to fail)

Tony Blair (lied to the British people and caused needless death and suffering in Iraq and the Brittish army)

Various Kims in Korea

and so on

• Like 1

Many googles and postings on here have still yet to show me what an evil monger this guy is? PLEASE tell me what he did or does that is so evil. I have googled him many times (sounds dirty) . Wiki'd him. Asked on this forum and many others. All I got in response was . Look him up. I DID MOTHER <deleted>#$ER. TELL ME WHAT HE DID? ahh emm Garunar. khap kuun khrap

I am new to Thailand. been here only one year. I don't know $hit about what happened here before I got here. Is anyone willing to help me.? Post or PM me please. I am ignorant of this situation as to why everyone has so much anxiety about this person. Don't respond with what you think is a witty remark. Don't give a $hit about your skull. I want to know facts and reasons. Thank you

Sorry - but do your finger have Tourette's disease?

That made me smile this morning to funny wai.gifgiggle.gifintheclub.gif
  • Like 1

Sorry - but do your finger have Tourette's disease?

Thaksin really didn't do much of anything more than most other politicians do. It's just that he brags about it! (It's supposed to be a secret!)

Edited by Curt1591

Don't care either way. The obsession with him borders on God like. Bizarre.

Me neither. But, look at those who harp on his name continuoudly: Abhisit, in order to stay relevant after being booed out of office and TV, to generate traffic and add more clicks to the bottom line. His name is a commodity for Mark because apparently Thailand has only one problem: Thaksin. What about the seasonal floods, the falling 4-5 notches on the list of best countries to invest, the companies that pulled out of Thailand, the small ones that were devastated by the 2011 floods, the rise in food and fuel prices, tourism affected by civil unrest in the South, the plight of millions of Laotians, Cambodians and Burmese while living in virtual indenture in Thailand...? To name only a few. Nah! All that can wait. For Abhisit and the anti-thaksinistas, Thaksin is the evil we all have to fight and defeat him that Thailand will be Thailand again. All other problems affecting this country are secondary. OCD, oi vey!

Are you saying it is the Dem's fault we have all those problems. In your opinion trying to uphold the law is wrong Thaksin should be given amnesty. You forget who is in power here. Abhist only fights back against what the PT are doing. The PT are doing nothing towards all the problems you listed so he is not resisting attempts to make those conditions better. In fact if the PT would try to make those things better he would support them.

• Like 1