Farang Beaten To Death

Buff-horns

Rubbish. And yes, all of a sudden. And it doesn't matter if you're Thai or Farang. I've  seen a Thai friend shot in a respectable Thai bar by his friend over a stupid sudden altercation. And they weren't drunk. BOTH drew guns.

... two very good friends, who've never exchanged one single harsh word, never had a disagreement, never had conflicting interests of any kind, sit down in a bar to spend a few joyfull moments together --- all of a sudden both draws a gun at start shooting at each other...

Well, I have no reason not to believe that it appeared all of a sudden to you, but that is as far as I'll go towards drawing a conclusion.

Rubbish. And yes, all of a sudden. And it doesn't matter if you're Thai or Farang. I've seen a Thai friend shot in a respectable Thai bar by his friend over a stupid sudden altercation. And they weren't drunk. BOTH drew guns.

In their case, live by the sword, die by the sword. Or, if you play with fire, you get burnt.

Makes you wonder who Frank Jensen might be? I'm not sure I've ever seen an article written this badly. Is this an internet blog? What is the source of this carnage pretending to be a story? We have Frank's interpretation of events but I suspect it's half the story.

Four Arrested for Beating Dane to Death in Thailand

Four Thai men yesterday, 22 December turned themselves in to the Cha-Am police and admitted they beat the 54-year old Dane Søren Tandrup Olsen to death. 

By Frank Jensen 

The gate of Søren Tandrup Olsen's Cha-Am house, where the 54 year old Dane was beaten to death by his neighbour and three of the neighbour's friends.

The gate, ahaaa the gate....er, what about the gate?

The victim of the violence was the 54 year old Dane, Søren Tandrup Olsen. The Dane wanted to get his own car into the streets of Cha-Am, where he has been living with his Thai girlfriend, Lek, since 1999, but his neighbour’s car was in the way.

The Dane asked the neighbour to move it, which made the man very upset. The Cha-Am Police tells that they have had to come by the neighbour’s house a couple of times asking him to quiet down, as he has been very noisy and caused a lot of disturbance in the neighbourhood in spite of only living there for approximately a month.

At first the Thai man verbally assaulted the Dane, and then he started a fight, not even a fair one. Within minutes three friends of the neighbour came to assist him and started beating Søren Tandrup Olsen, who managed to flee into the house, Lek tells sitting at Cha-Am Police Station. Right next to her a police men is eagerly showing the police report with pictures of the body of Lek’s boyfriend.

She is at the police station to identify the four men, who turned themselves in. Having done that she goes back to the scene of Tuesday’s tragic event. To the house where she has to start a new life.

Lek quickly realized that the situation was going out of control, so she phoned the police when the fighting began. According to her the Dane never wanted to argue with the neighbour, whom she describes as provocative and aggressive. In stead of getting into an argument the Dane preferred to mind his own business and if the neighbour made too much noise, Søren Tandrup Olsen rather left his house for a while than complaint.

Trying to get the sequence of events straight here, ok I think I've got it.      A few minutes after the first incident, more trouble came the Dane’s way. The neighbour was standing at the back yard gate asking the 54 year old to come out and discuss the matter. The Dane left the house and went to talk. But he was not aware that the three friends of the Thai neighbour were hiding behind the wall, and this time a fist fight was not enough.

Ok, after getting into a fight with a known provocative and aggressive Thai man, who has lived there for a month, been very loud and aggressive, having the cops being called to the house for his rouge behavior several times during this month, who has with the aid of 3 other Thais just beaten the crap out of the guy.  So now he goes out to have another "conversation" with the guy.  Excuse me, but this is not the whole story.      ”All of sudden the three others came out of nowhere and started beating Søren with steel pipes, that they have fetched. It did not stop till I dragged Søren into safety in the house. At least they did not beat me,” 26 year old Lek tells, while showing the blood stains on the road just outside the backyard, where the Dane was severely beaten.

Lek was able to drag him to safety??? Turns out, the 4 Thai men were no match for the likes of Lek.      She and Søren Tandrup Olsen had a souvenir shop in the house just 25 metres from the Cha-Am Beach on the western side of the Gulf of Thailand. In the workshop there are lamps and few of Snow White’s dwarfs waiting to be finished and sold in the shop. In front of the computer, where the Dane spent many hours coming up with new ideas for articles to sell in the shop, Lek has placed a plate with open end sandwiches, just like she always did.

Good reporting here tho, the sandwiches were "open end".  Certainly sheds some additional light on the situation.      After getting the Dane into safety, Lek thought that it would be wise to go to the hospital.

“Søren did not agree. He said that he just needed to rest, and then he would be okay again,” Lek tells with tears in her eyes.

Meanwhile even more friends of the neighbour had come to help him, so as the Dane was licking his wounds upstairs, people were hiding in front of the house as well as next to the backyard, but the neighbour and his three friends already did more than enough. Much more than enough.

"More than enough. Much more than enough" the author pens thoughtfully.  Ok let me see if I've got this straight.  After the first fight and after the 2nd fight, now additional Thai men are hiding in front of the house as well as next to the backyard, presumably for round 3??? 

This crazy Thai man who has lived there for a month certainly seems to be able to recruit a strong supporting cast of people that have nothing better to do but to attempt a 3rd beating of this man who "rather left his house for a while than complaint".  Nice phraseology here.

About 10 minutes after lying down, Søren Tandrup Olsen died in his bed. The doctor and the police did not come till later.

The exact cause of death will not be known, until the result of the autopsy is known. Presumably early next week. 

Created 2005-12-22

http://tinyurl.com/atovv

If this story has been picked up by foreign papers, hopefully they'll have more to go on than Frank's convoluted and presumably semi-informed version of events. It would be interesting to get the real story, as is, it paints a nasty version of Thai men and further entrenches the TV/farang perspective that a disproportionate number of Thai men are vicious killers.

Rubbish. And yes, all of a sudden. And it doesn't matter if you're Thai or Farang. I've  seen a Thai friend shot in a respectable Thai bar by his friend over a stupid sudden altercation. And they weren't drunk. BOTH drew guns.

... two very good friends, who've never exchanged one single harsh word, never had a disagreement, never had conflicting interests of any kind, sit down in a bar to spend a few joyfull moments together --- all of a sudden both draws a gun at start shooting at each other...

Well, I have no reason not to believe that it appeared all of a sudden to you, but that is as far as I'll go towards drawing a conclusion.

You seem a bit immature and naive. A retort like that surely deserves file 13.

You seem a bit immature and naive. A retort like that surely deserves file 13.

You know this hits close to home and upsets all of us. But, I can tell you as a retired Police Officer one of things that upset so much about the profession, was the realization of the trivial things people kill eachother over. Not just here everywhere, still bothers me to this day. Something I will never understand.

I feel this thread has met its death. Hopefully, noone (despite the hate-mongers), noone - living in Thailand - reading this thread - will have fear, asking his/her Thai neighbor remove that car...

although you might be right that people shouldn't generalise - you can't simply dismiss the facts as this in OP. and neither you should simplify it, because that would be another sort of generalisation - in that case done by you !

yes, it doesn't mean ALL people in Thailand are such or that it is not safe to ask someone something. but one must see the situation and at least know basic guidelines how to determine who is who we deal with, and how particular person would react in the same situation.

because some people either don't understand or intentionally ignore common sense and any kind of reasoning. they have their own "logic" if it can be called so, as well as "morals" (like perhaps those guys felt they do JUSTICE by "teaching lesson" to some farang who came to their country to f*** their women while telling THEM what to do !). and I've heard once that human minus common sense (in this case it is for us, farangs is something obvious like - yeah, why he disturbs others? why he keeps his car on other person's place? why he assaults in gang old hopeless man? etc etc.) - is simply an animal. and animal understand only one thing - stick. but perhaps again we must see, how many animals there are, and as in this case, stick won't be enough - since they have iron rods / pirpes. it is no-win deal - one must be able to recognise it and quit. even in military science those great generals learn that good generals (big strategically smart guys in command of big companies of seasoned troops) remain such (well, first of all because they remain alive) - because they can know when they CAN'T WIN and RETREAT ! what to speak about us, ordinary "mortals" ?

and then - "Justice" - is very relative word, not to speak concept, nowdays in modern world.

I've had similar incident, wich might have ended up at least in beating.

neighbour upstairs was almost daily making a lot of noise till long after midnight, almost till morning.

once after many month of tolerating , at 3 or 4 am, not being able to sleep till that time due to all the disturbance I finally decided to do something about it despite my g/f's strongly advicing against it (she said - "you don't know Thai people !" and she IS Thai herself - she must know!).

I went upstairs, door was widely open, few guys sitting on the floor drinking etc. I asked them very politely, please, could you make at least LESS noise, if not stop completely. had very angry reaction for answer, the owner pushing me and provoking for fight - go away from here. I bet if my g/f wasn't staying nearby as a witness they won't hesitate to beat me there and then. I said Ok, I'll go, but tomorrow be assured I'll talk to the office. they came 5 min later banging on my door, saying same thing - come out to talk. I almost went, if not my g/f almost literally pulling me back. she has translated to me (since my Thai is not that good) that they were openly insulting and treatening to beat me up.

I've complained to office next day, but nothing much has changed. I avoided confrontation as much as possible. however I realised one thing - even the management are simply tolerating this guy, who he himself and they said lives there already 6 years and has lots of "motosike" frineds and some sort of local gangs. later I guessed that most probably the very same reason was why I was able to rent this room, I mean why it was available - because former residents most probably faced same disturbance and confrontation and may be threats, and simply moved out.

and I did exactly same. now I guess - wisely.

can't say I'm smarter or more experienced than that poor fellow mentioned in OP, but I think it is better to avoid confrontation. even though one my French friend in this area says that farangs keep quite to much and "offer their ass" for locals to have as much as those want. but even he adviced to be rather cautious, to avoid as much as possible. because he said: yeah, well, may be you'll be able to beat him back, but then once after a while you'll walk on the road and bunch of those guys would corner you - and most of onlookers and passers by won't even TRY to do anything to prevent it or help - most probably would even pretend they didn't see it. it happened so - in the same area, 2 guys chased another holding some sort of long knifes or whatever they call those (like machetas) and chop-chop-chop him - and not even security (ha ! what a joke ! only a word) did anything neither to prevent them from getting in or out of that place. and many people were watching, and more, even after assailants left and guy was lying in the pool of boold screaming in pain - nobody even approached him for help. only one woman did, rebuking other, something like "what's f***ing wrong with you people ! you stand and watch as man being killed, and do nothing ! and not even try to help him once there is no even immidiate danger to youselves" (because guys with knifes left already), she was the one who called emergency etc.

so, even for their own people normally they won't stand for, especially if it is obious that the culprits are some realy "bad guys".

so, perhaps that is bitter ironic BUT it is truth : better to avoid such situations as much as possible, especially the moment when it comes to confrontation. so, in the sense that "logic" quoted in some post above, has its sense: "if he won't come to Thailand ....." yeah, I know how it sounds for all of us here. may be we can't agree with such conclusion completely - but at least, better to not directly and openly confront such people.

like in my case imy g/f has thaught me that better if I didn't talk with that guy at all but went straight to the management, who handles (or at least supposed to) such situation and responsible for mainaining order in their appartment. or in case of this Dane - well, since it is mentioned in the article that police came few times previously on complains about this noisy and disturbing neighbour, it was obvious that he want listen or change, and even police either doesn't bother or won't dare to subdue him. so better was may be to change a place.

yeah, it is not fair and/or just - but that is the reality ! and I bet it is not only here in Thailand - practically anywhere in the world.

Edited by aaaaaa

How about The Nation or BKK Post?

They don't do everything Toxin asks and neither do all of the other Thai media these days.

A falang beaten to death would be news to media with falang readership.

Something not quite right here, no attribution beyond some guy called Frank Jensen. Who is he? What is his affiliation?

How about The Nation or BKK Post?

They don't do everything Toxin asks and neither do all of the other Thai media these days.

A falang beaten to death would be news to media with falang readership.

Something not quite right here, no attribution beyond some guy called Frank Jensen. Who is he?  What is his affiliation?

IT WOULD BE EVERYDAY , NOT THAT ITS THAI'S PEOPLE EVERYTIME . SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT COMPREHEND BEING CONSIDERATE OR UNDERSTANDING OTHER CULTURES . STILL DOESNT JUSTIFY DEATH !

This incident was very sad and unnecessary. I pity all those close to the victim especially his Thai wife who had to witness the episode.

All this talk about Thai cowards is rubbish. This was an isolted incident probably fueled by alchohol.

Incidents like this happen all over the world.

I have witnessed a shooting on an LA freeway over a lane change in a traffic queue. It is a regular occurence in the US.

Admitting a crime does in Thailand get the offender a lesser sentence. This in by belief is a good thing. It gives the authorities more free time to solve unsolved crimes.

There are many problems in Thailand with the police. The cause is mainly that they get insufficient pay for the responsible job that are are expected to to.

Corruption has become a necessity to maintain a reasonable life style in a developing country.

Make no mistake. In no way can I justify the behaviour of these men who committed this terrible crime.

However it happens all over the world. At least here, unlike our neighbours, Myanmar, it is not done in a systematically controlled environment.

The fact that this story has made so much news is because it happens rarely, just like the case of Toby Charnaud in Hua Hin who was brutally murdered in a premeditated fashion.

Stories like this in cities like London, LA and Chicago are hardly worth a mention in the local media because they happen so frequently.

It does nobody any favours to get into dialogues about faults that we have in our country.

This is still one of the best countries in the world to live but unfortunately sometimes shit happens. If it is so bad and everything is so wrong about Thailand and Thai people then why are you all here?

My heart is with the victims.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't agree that it is an isolated incident. Thai men are well known for attacking in packs, with weapons.

I too have been in such a situation, though I did what I needed to do and then made my way out of there, swiftly.

Twenty against three was not my idea of fair odds.

I wouldn't agree that it is an isolated incident. Thai men are well known for attacking in packs, with weapons.

I too have been in such a situation, though I did what I needed to do and then made my way out of there, swiftly.

So lucky you're a Jui Jitsu guy, you must be so good.

Did you single handedly defeat the armed mob of 20 in a heroic type fashion?

Did you utter witty one-liners as you were knocking these Thai men asunder?

Did your 2 friends laud you with adolation for saving the day?

Do you women throw themselves at you?

Did you change into your superhero alter-ego before dispatching the villians?

Was your true identity revealed?

Is it true that you often save universes?

So lucky you're a Jui Jitsu guy, you must be so good.

Did you single handedly defeat the armed mob of 20 in a heroic type fashion?

Did you utter witty one-liners as you were knocking these Thai men asunder?

Did your 2 friends laud you with adolation for saving the day?

Do you women throw themselves at you?

Did you change into your superhero alter-ego before dispatching the villians?

Was your true identity revealed?

Is it true that you often save universes?

20 to 3, what I would have needed to do was find the quickest escape.

Thailand can be very interesting especially in the tourist area. I had disute woth a british guy over not crossing the street properly. Pattaya Sung Kran, walkng street. Long story, in short the guy stuck a gun in my face and became world renown traffic expert in my eyes immmediately. I don't know about other but I didn't come here to fight and I will walk away a long as I can. Don't really care who is right or wrong, just want to be around tomorrrow to enjoy better things.

Sometimes your not given that avenue, then all you can do is what our friend said to what you have to and then get out.

Would anybody be offended if we close this thread? It started with a one-sided, barely attributed news source, supplemented by no facts, after a couple of weeks. We've all had chances to voice our opinions.

Finished?

Yup, its taking up bandwidth.