Trolling......

theblether

I think most regular posters have their shit squared away re the general run of the mill TV questions, as Canukamuck said, most useful information is pleasantly and cordially exchanged in the subforums.

The rest of TV (apart from assisting newbies) is about shooting the shit, wisecracking and playing wordgames. The odd troll post doesn't detract from that. Anyone that thinks posts like Nocturns are genuine is kidding themselves.I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had a genuine personal crisis the last thing I would do is broadcast it to the world on the innertubes and request or take advice from a bunch of complete strangers, most of whom, let's be honest, are probably social basketcases.

If I happened to know anyone here and valued their input I would email or call them for chistsake, not open it up for the inevitable shitfest of I told you so and I did it much better than you aren't I clever posts.

Exactly what i what thinking, I have posted an apology to those who offered sincere condolences, though it too seems to have disappeared.

At the time two of us were pissed as farts pre-songkran, laughing at the post as we wrote it.

To be honest, i am not sure how or why the post would have been believable in the first place, given my posting history.

• Like 2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think most regular posters have their shit squared away re the general run of the mill TV questions, as Canukamuck said, most useful information is pleasantly and cordially exchanged in the subforums.

The rest of TV (apart from assisting newbies) is about shooting the shit, wisecracking and playing wordgames. The odd troll post doesn't detract from that. Anyone that thinks posts like Nocturns are genuine is kidding themselves.I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had a genuine personal crisis the last thing I would do is broadcast it to the world on the innertubes and request or take advice from a bunch of complete strangers, most of whom, let's be honest, are probably social basketcases.

If I happened to know anyone here and valued their input I would email or call them for chistsake, not open it up for the inevitable shitfest of I told you so and I did it much better than you aren't I clever posts.

Exactly what i what thinking, I have posted an apology to those who offered sincere condolences, though it too seems to have disappeared.

At the time two of us were pissed as farts pre-songkran, laughing at the post as we wrote it.

To be honest, i am not sure how or why the post would have been believable in the first place, given my posting history.

Welcome back Nocturn!

• Like 1

Troll, that is my I love. trolling is part science, always fun, and a lot of luckpost-137491-0-76173700-1334569992_thumb.post-137491-0-76173700-1334569992_thumb.

just need to get the bait right to reel in a big one.

Timing is everything, , wait for a nibble, strike and reel that sucker in.

Thank you very much for your kind words........I agree that there is such a thing as a good troll, and some troll topics can end up being festivals of witticisms, so I am not racist against trolls, I am racist against abusive trolls.

Nocturns mistake was that he had built up a well of goodwill then abused that goodwill, that's rude and obnoxious behaviour in anybody's language. As for MediumPacedBowler, the man is intelligent, but given to crass and ridiculous outbursts that would only have one ending for him if he tried it in real life. I reckon MPB could be a wealth of information here if he would just realize that their is no need for the abuse.

Necron is correct, the sub forums tend to be a bit less trollish and repositries of genuine information, the general forum, which I am most active in, is like the pub as pointed out. I agree that some days people can have off days and all is forgiven, but continually abusing members is out of order.

I think it's an idea to occasionally read the forums without signing in, so you can see what the guests are reading, that gives you an idea of what we are showing to the world and sometimes it's not pleasant.

I say let's keep the entertainment level high and the abuse low, let's enjoy good troll topics and let's have fun here.

Sanuck. drunk.gif

There is no good or bad troll, there are efficient ones or not efficient ones. And you don't need to be abusive for that.

just an example: If there is a forum about health. And in some topic where it really doesn't fit well you post that gay people are the reason for spreading AIDS.

Than the troll does not need to ever post again, he can just watch how it develops. First he has successful hijacked that topic, as no one will care of the original topic anymore and some conservative and some liberals will beat themself over the next week on that.

The art is to post something that is self sustainable......The other inocent posters will do your work.

To post in the Volkswagen GTI forum that they only drive VW because they are too poor for a Ferrari is poor trolling as all will just punish you and no internal discussion will start.

Posting in the "Learn Japanese" Forum something about the dolphin slaugher or about the war crimes of the USA against Japan will most probably creat a nice off topic self sustainable discussion....artfull trolling

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your kind words........I agree that there is such a thing as a good troll, and some troll topics can end up being festivals of witticisms, so I am not racist against trolls, I am racist against abusive trolls.

Nocturns mistake was that he had built up a well of goodwill then abused that goodwill, that's rude and obnoxious behaviour in anybody's language. As for MediumPacedBowler, the man is intelligent, but given to crass and ridiculous outbursts that would only have one ending for him if he tried it in real life. I reckon MPB could be a wealth of information here if he would just realize that their is no need for the abuse.

Necron is correct, the sub forums tend to be a bit less trollish and repositries of genuine information, the general forum, which I am most active in, is like the pub as pointed out. I agree that some days people can have off days and all is forgiven, but continually abusing members is out of order.

I think it's an idea to occasionally read the forums without signing in, so you can see what the guests are reading, that gives you an idea of what we are showing to the world and sometimes it's not pleasant.

I say let's keep the entertainment level high and the abuse low, let's enjoy good troll topics and let's have fun here.

Sanuck. drunk.gif

There is no good or bad troll, there are efficient ones or not efficient ones. And you don't need to be abusive for that.

just an example: If there is a forum about health. And in some topic where it really doesn't fit well you post that gay people are the reason for spreading AIDS.

Than the troll does not need to ever post again, he can just watch how it develops. First he has successful hijacked that topic, as no one will care of the original topic anymore and some conservative and some liberals will beat themself over the next week on that.

The art is to post something that is self sustainable......The other inocent posters will do your work.

To post in the Volkswagen GTI forum that they only drive VW because they are too poor for a Ferrari is poor trolling as all will just punish you and no internal discussion will start.

Posting in the "Learn Japanese" Forum something about the dolphin slaugher or about the war crimes of the USA against Japan will most probably creat a nice off topic self sustainable discussion....artfull trolling

+1

I don't have a problem with trolling per se, it can be very witty and can provoke some interesting debates. Nocturn has put his hands up and surely by now he has realized that I have heavily trolled him in this topic. biggrin.png

On the other hand we have MediumPacedBowler who is quite frankly witless and moronic, if I could be bothered I could dig out some of his stupid and highly offensive comments, but I'll just wait and see if he has the bottle to respond to this topic.

Methinks not, he's a weakling.

What are the motivations for trolling? I find it hard to believe people go to all the effort just to entertain themselves... is there another internet forum dedicated to trollers where they discuss their trolling escapades?... or is there a financial motive?... for example, are some trolls paid by one internet forum to disrupt rival forums?

• Like 1

What are the motivations for trolling? I find it hard to believe people go to all the effort just to entertain themselves... is there another internet forum dedicated to trollers where they discuss their trolling escapades?... or is there a financial motive?... for example, are some trolls paid by one internet forum to disrupt rival forums?

Don't be silly. rolleyes.gif

^ Begs the question, are trolls deserving of equal rights?

Should trollophobes be tolerated on this forum?

i honestly think that screaming troll and demanding a thread be closed is far worse than trolling.

exposing a troll is fair game, but there is no need to get shrill about it

Why do some people go to all the effort to make and spread computer viruses? Some people like to make mischief, but at least with most trolls there's no real malicious intent behind it.

i honestly think that screaming troll and demanding a thread be closed is far worse than trolling.

People like you should be kicked out , you try to make fun of a serious topic , we have many examples of real life stories that went bad in LOS, so no need for trolls. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by balo

There is sometimes a very thin line between a troll and 'an interesting but contentious premise, that merits discussion'. I also think the best trolls aren't complete BS wind-ups, but rather something interesting that happened (or didn't happen) but gets discussion going on interesting aspects of life in Thailand.

The thing is, I think I had ONE proper troll post (in the complete BS wind-up category), and interestingly enough, at the time that was really not intended as a troll, just as a cheeky/funny post that I thought people would see through right away and just regard as a cheeky funny comment for however long it would last before being weeded out by the mods. But instead it generated loads of pages, even after stating clearly that it was a joke: many people who post don't actually read the whole discussion, then jump in with their arguments which then generate further discussion.. (Utterly ridiculous premise also: a Thailand Hooters franchise opening in Chiang Mai, and then in an out-of town suburban mini-mall too. Had a picture of mega hot staff of the Singaporean outlet, and damned near 100% of people never saw anything other than the title and the picture. smile.png I also think that if a wind-up is sort of funny and in good spirit, the people who DO see it as a troll won't actually get all negative and yell troll, but instead actually join the band wagon.

This is that topic; it was brought on by all the raving post about that particular suburban mall and all the farang-friendly outlets there. After several of those topics on this Meechoke Plaza I thought I'd put in the one to out-do all: http://www.thaivisa....-meechok-plaza/ Note how I thought I gave it away in the opening line, referring to a Smirnoff -18C ice lounge which clearly also isn't there. smile.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

There is sometimes a very thin line between a troll and 'an interesting but contentious premise, that merits discussion'. I also think the best trolls aren't complete BS wind-ups, but rather something interesting that happened (or didn't happen) but gets discussion going on interesting aspects of life in Thailand.

The thing is, I think I had ONE proper troll post (in the complete BS wind-up category), and interestingly enough, at the time that was really not intended as a troll, just as a cheeky/funny comment that I thought people would see through right away and just regard as a cheeky funny comment for however long it would last before being weeded out by the mods. But instead it generated loads of pages, even after stating clearly that it was a joke: many people who post don't actually read the whole discussion, then jump in with their arguments which then generate further discussion.. (Utterly ridiculous premise also: a Thailand Hooters franchise opening in Chiang Mai, and then in an out-of town suburban mini-mall too. Had a picture of mega hot staff of the Singaporean outlet, and damned near 100% of people never saw anything other than the title and the picture. smile.png I also think that if a wind-up is sort of funny and in good spirit, the people who DO see it as a troll won't actually get all negative and yell troll, but instead actually join the band wagon.

Should be called Hootlets shouldn't it? Aint no Zepplin races going on there.

• Like 1

People like you should be kicked out , you try to make fun of a serious topic , we have many examples of real life stories that went bad in LOS, so no need for trolls. You should be ashamed of yourself.

despite your avatar it seems you are unable to turn the other cheek.

Why do some people go to all the effort to make and spread computer viruses? Some people like to make mischief, but at least with most trolls there's no real malicious intent behind it.

The word is pure magic, and gossip is pure poison that can infect someone and be transmitted to many other people, similar to how a virus can infect a computer and cause it to function in a counterproductive way. It's not so much what you say as what the receipient understands. It doesn't take much to rawl people up unintentionally. So just imagine what some focused words can accomplish.

One advantage is that once you build an immunity to poisonous words, then they have no power of you anymore.

Is playing Devil's Advocate the same as trolling?

I've been guilty of that in the past simply because I've wanted some posters to give more thought into what they are posting and it has been the only way.

Devil's advocate is just a wussy way of having an opinion. If you are wrong you can say I was playing devil's advocate if you are right you can say, "I told you so." Mostly people with no balls play devil's advocate in my experience.

I've been guilty of that in the past simply because I've wanted some posters to give more thought into what they are posting and it has been the only way.

Do you really think that's the right way to proceed? While your intentions may be benign, some people may see that as blatant and senseless provocation.

Do you really think that's the right way to proceed? While your intentions may be benign, some people may see that as blatant and senseless provocation.

And I thought that was what all were doing here.

That's the whole point. To try and sometimes provoke some thinking into some of the banal, Stickmanite mindsets displayed on this forum at times.

• Like 1

That's the whole point. To try and sometimes provoke some thinking into some of the banal, Stickmanite mindsets displayed on this forum at times.

Sorry, I was just playing De...never mind.

I personally think 90% of the rubbish posted in the general topics section is complete BS.

And I just love when posters with thousands upon thousands of posts spout advice at other posters, I mean really, these guys can never leave home, what the f do they know about anything to do with real life, they are always on TV.

Nearly every Farang I know is married to an ex bar girl, yet the old men of ThaiVisa are not, how come?

The wife who is 2 or 3 decades younger just happens to be a highly educated girl from a good family who likes old men, yeah right, of course she does,

It's pitiful.

I personally think 90% of the rubbish posted in the general topics section is complete BS.

And I just love when posters with thousands upon thousands of posts spout advice at other posters, I mean really, these guys can never leave home, what the f do they know about anything to do with real life, they are always on TV.

Nearly every Farang I know is married to an ex bar girl, yet the old men of ThaiVisa are not, how come?

The wife who is 2 or 3 decades younger just happens to be a highly educated girl from a good family who likes old men, yeah right, of course she does,

It's pitiful.

what is truly pitiful is that you believe your Thailand experience is definitive.

It's pitiful.

I would say you deserve about 6/10 at best for that trolling attempt, you put the correct level of vitriol into it but the subject matter lacked originality. You got marked up slightly for opening the field of abuse to just about every older farang male in Thailand, and certainly every TV member, but we have seen it all before.

Have another go and see if you can do any better this time biggrin.png