Q: Buying A New Honda - Would It Be Built In Thailand Or Japan?

Following the floods, I'm not sure if the Thai Honda factory is up to full speed yet.

I think I heard that Honda shipped in some cars from Japan to help make up for the shortage.

A Thai friend of mine mentioned that it would be dangerous to buy one this year as you may end up buying damaged goods from the flood waters - not sure if this could be the case but then this is Thailand!

If someone were to purchase a Honda right now, would it be a Japanese import or a Thai built (and possibly compromised) model?

Cheers!!!

Honda made a big show of scrapping their flood damaged stock.

The speed of modern manufacturing methods with JIT supply trains means that there was probably very little in the way of partially completed cars in the factory.

The Japanese honda jazz for example, has numerous airbags, and is priced well above the top spec jazz. So there would be no mistaking that this is a Japanese vehicle. For the other models I don't know whether there are any differences in specs or price-wise. Surely the dealer will be able to tell you. Honda has a major backlog. If I was in a hurry for a car I'd be looking at other makes I think. I would highly doubt honda will sell you any flood damaged car, as outlined in the previous post, but you might have to wait a long while for a Thai-built car.

There was an article and a picture in the 'other newspaper' last week that says Honda Thailand's production lines are back online 100%. There will be a backlog but I doubt they would import a higher-spec, Jap-built model to ease this. No manufacturer will be selling flood-damaged stock. Now, I can't say the same for dealerships that may have been flooded and the second-hand market is to be avoided for the moment.

I've got a Honda city on order, which has been on order since xmas. We've been told we can expect it around the end of this month or beginning of next. I'm somehow doubting this (although I hope i'm proved wrong).

Anyone else had delivery of one recently, and how long did theirs take?

Edited by LucidLucifer

I saw a Honda Jazz top model for 751k baht in Honda service, import from Japan. It comes with Pioneer bluetooth big screen (perhaps gps too?) double din cd/mp3 player / touch screen and several airbags. Unfortunately, it doesn't qualify for 100k baht excise discount because it is import from Japan.

I saw a Honda Jazz top model for 751k baht in Honda service, import from Japan. It comes with Pioneer bluetooth big screen (perhaps gps too?) double din cd/mp3 player / touch screen and several airbags. Unfortunately, it doesn't qualify for 100k baht excise discount because it is import from Japan.

Would be nice if such imports could continue indefinitely, so those wishing to have upgrades such as airbags, can have them....