Not The Best Songkran, I Have To Admit....

phuturatica

I hope everyone had a nice Songkran, even though I know some people don't enjoy it so much. I ended up getting robbed by knife point on Saturday night right by Khao San and Soi Rambuttri. :(

Not really fussed about the money but it did scare me a lot. BiB obviously did nothing and couldn't help me.

Totally rubbish. :(

Sorry to hear that..I hope it was not much money.

Once that seemed to be a safe area, lots of happy people around at anytime, day and night.

Well it seems nowadays LoS is not safe as it used to be..Carry on !

Once that seemed to be a safe area, lots of happy people around at anytime, day and night.

It wasn't loads, just 1,700 baht. I just couldn't believe it! There were HUNDREDS of people around when it happened! No one intervened though or did anything until they'd ran off.

I saw a couple Thai guys earlier on Phra Athit holding some guy, there was a small crowd apparently he was a thief and they were waiting for police to drive by. Given the huge crowd in KSR that might be a really long wait

It wasn't loads, just 1,700 baht. I just couldn't believe it! There were HUNDREDS of people around when it happened! No one intervened though or did anything until they'd ran off.

Although it sounds horrible it was probably for the best as the situation didn't escalate. There's been 2 incidents on the news in the past week of people being held at knifepoint one I saw through a drunken haze in a bar last night. Was this it ?

There was also a poor Swedish woman who got shot in Khao San road a couple of years ago for trying to stop a fight between a husband and wife if I recall correctly. Which would put the locals off helping that can remember that.

Major downer for the OP but at least he's ok.

Dunno how old he is but I'm assuming they had a go with him maybe because he's a bit older.

Are people allowed to carry shit like mace or pepper spray ? I know several girls who carry those stun guns in their bags but I don't know the legality of it all.

PS - just checked OP's profile - couldn't have got i more wrong if I tried. Shit, even more sorry to hear that, luv.

Edited by HardenedSoul

Although it sounds horrible it was probably for the best as the situation didn't escalate. There's been 2 incidents on the news in the past week of people being held at knifepoint one I saw through a drunken haze in a bar last night. Was this it ?

There was also a poor Swedish woman who got shot in Khao San road a couple of years ago for trying to stop a fight between a husband and wife if I recall correctly. Which would put the locals off helping that can remember that.

They must have been really high on yaba to put on a armed robbery in the middle of the crowd...

Dunno how old he is but I'm assuming they had a go with him maybe because he's a bit older.

Are people allowed to carry shit like mace or pepper spray ? I know several girls who carry those stun guns in their bags but I don't know the legality of it all.

PS - just checked OP's profile - couldn't have got i more wrong if I tried. Shit, even more sorry to hear that, luv.

I think the OP is a lady.

Edit I should have read the last line.jap.gif

Edited by arthurwait

They must have been really high on yaba to put on a armed robbery in the middle of the crowd...

Probably. I was told that what the news was saying on the 2 reports.

Sorrry to hear about this, I know this kind of thing happens anywhere in the world, but the Thai's inability to help a woman in distress is rather disturbing. As for the police attitude - disgraceful.

Pretty hard for the police to catch someone right now, there are literally thousands of people in Khao San during Songkran. They can't find a thief unless they catch him in the act or someone physically holds them down. It'd be very easy to disappear in to the crowd.

In this situation though I'd just refuse to give the anything. They're relying on you being startled and just handing it over.

Hah no worries! Most people think I'm male. However yes, I'm just a 24 year old girl so obviously an easy target. Also I had the waterproof bag round my neck which is see through so he could see the money. My fault really, however I guess when everyone else is doing the same and you think its safe cause you're the majority etc. I guess I was wrong. :(

That guy you're talking about on Phra Athit road was held down by my Thai friends and My boyfriend and I went to check to see if it was the same thief. As he apparently was also robbing by knife point. But it wasn't the same thief... Maybe a friend or part of some knife point robbing gang? No idea.

My boyfriend owns a bar on Soi Rambuttri so we know a lot of the people in the area and after I had gone running down there sobbing to my boyfriend everyone was concerned and went looking for him.

Also the guy who robbed me was definitely high on yabba. Which is actually what frightens me the most. You hear loads of crazy stories of people going psycho on that drug and really causing some damage.

Really frightened me. :( I still have a little mark/cut where he held the knife to my throat. I'm too embarrassed and scared to walk out showing it so have worn a scarf all day. (I know, I'm lame)

• Like 1

Sorrry to hear about this, I know this kind of thing happens anywhere in the world, but the Thai's inability to help a woman in distress is rather disturbing. As for the police attitude - disgraceful.

Pretty hard for the police to catch someone right now, there are literally thousands of people in Khao San during Songkran. They can't find a thief unless they catch him in the act or someone physically holds them down. It'd be very easy to disappear in to the crowd.

In this situation though I'd just refuse to give the anything. They're relying on you being startled and just handing it over.

Easy to say that on here isn't it? In reality I would imagine you would s**t yourself and do as requested when a knife is held to your throat by a drugged up nutter.

• Like 1

Easy to say that on here isn't it? In reality I would imagine you would s**t yourself and do as requested when a knife is held to your throat by a drugged up nutter.

Exactly, it was only money... I care more for my life than 1,700 baht. Not worth it in the slightest.

Well she hadn't said anything about a knife to her throat in the original post or that she had a clear bag with her money in it around her neck, it had sounded to me more like a stickup where the guy just had a knife in his hand and said give me your money.

Still a very bizarre crime, holding a knife to someones throat in front of so many people.

When I was there I was mainly worried about pickpockets. I just brought a couple hundred baht with me because of that, and no wallet, cause I was worried about something getting knicked in the crowd.

Edited by DP25

Hah no worries! Most people think I'm male. However yes, I'm just a 24 year old girl so obviously an easy target. Also I had the waterproof bag round my neck which is see through so he could see the money. My fault really, however I guess when everyone else is doing the same and you think its safe cause you're the majority etc. I guess I was wrong. sad.png

Yeah seeing everyone carrying them around their necks with cash and expensive phones on display, I remember thinking that's just not a good idea and stuffing mine in my back pocket.

Sure you'll have forgotten all about it in a few days

Well she hadn't said anything about a knife to her throat in the original post or that she had a clear bag with her money in it around her neck, it had sounded to me more like a stickup where the guy just had a knife in his hand and said give me your money.

Still a very bizarre crime, holding a knife to someones throat in front of so many people.

When I was there I was mainly worried about pickpockets. I just brought a couple hundred baht with me because of that, and no wallet, cause I was worried about something getting knicked in the crowd.

I'm still in shock and disbelief that it actually happened with there being so many people about, but it did. Also this guy had a very crazy look in his eyes and looked wired. He was, without a doubt on drugs so he obviously wasn't in the right mind.

Also them bags aren't very strong and you can easily pull the string off them with a strong tug. He pushed me against the shutter, put a knife to my throat said "Money Money Money!" really angrily and then snatched the bag and ripped it off the string. It happened so unexpectedly yet it was over so quickly too.

sorry to hear about that.... but can happen anywhere..

i have been robbed/attempted to be robbed twice in in central london, but never anything in Thailand ... suppose, wrong place wrong time !

they have CCTV there , go to the local police station ( not the BIB on Foot ) , and they do investigate your case... lumpini police station is really shit hot now, they seem to have some new guys intent on cleaning up the area, no tea money paid to help !

Fortunately most property and theft crimes here are only about Money and fortunatly not violent other than the threat and fear of violence from the criminal.

If caught surprised and unabel to retreat safely, most times it is best to just give up the money and or valuables and try to remember as much as one can about the perpetrator(s).

Don't wear show off gold and carry lots of money or other high priced valuables.

Most times the local criminals only want to scare their victim and get away quicly.

Once you are safe and not in immediate danger from the criminals.... Scream or Yell Kamoey or Thief.

That sometimes has been known to attract the attention of a lot of locals and foreigners alike who may apprehend the criminal.

Always remember to always be safe regardless and aware of surroundings and people about.

Edited by KimoMax

Then you have the black guy firing his gun Friday night in the Queen Park area on Soi 22'

A black guy fired his gun on Soi 22?! Tell me more details or was it on the news? I've been in a haze since Saturday night so not kept up with whats actually happening.

A terrifying experience for you Phuturatica, so sorry to hear this happened to you.

I was with a couple of American ladies on Friday and they both had the plastic wallets of the style I think you mentioned. I asked them both to wear them below their clothing, it's too much of a sitting target for the desperados out there.

Anyway, that's being wise after the event, chill out as much as you can, you'll need a fair few days to get over this.

@Phuturatica, sorry to hear about that; it is a horrible experience for anyone to go through.

To be scared is good, it numbs your reactions. To retaliate against someone with a knife to your throat (for the sake of 1,700 baht) would only have escalated the situation.

Also, you shouldn't be so hard on the police. With the amount of people about, it would be very easy for the assailant to disappear into the crowd. As for the people witnessing what happened............

Anyway, glad you are safe!

Exactly, it was only money... I care more for my life than 1,700 baht. Not worth it in the slightest.

Good luck that you only lost 1700 Baht, like you say it is not worth your life! These nutters on Ya Bah are something else - this drug is lethal! Shame it spoiled your Song Krahn, but good to hear you are OK!