Thailand Rescues One Of The Uk'S Biggest Steel Plants In Teeside ( Newcastle )

Boater

Steelmaking reborn at Teesside site

Metal production is back under way at one of the UK's biggest steel plants, with the first usable slabs of iron due to be produced within days.

Photographs have been released of the blast furnace being relit at the plant in Teeside in the north-east of England, which was rescued from the prospect of closure a year ago by Sahaviriya Steel Industries (SSI) of Thailand.

A gas lance was used to reignite the furnace in a special ceremony. The move will mark the resumption of steelmaking on Teesside following the mothballing of the plant in February 2010.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/steelmaking-reborn-at-teesside-site-16145147.html#ixzz1s972YCHr

do you think the old MP had anything to do with this?? ....

This topic was posted a year or so ago when the deal was announced. Nothing to do with him, a business deal carried out by a huge Thai company.

As per usual for this forum, instead of being pleased that a foreign firm was helping to save jobs in the UK, many posters contributed derogatory remarks about the affair: dumb Thais will ruin it, won't be able to handle the unions, con, etc, despite someone in the blog posting the union leaders' favourable comments about the takeover.

Thanks for posting the update - the UK could do with some good news about jobs!

• Like 1

"...Redcar will produce steel slab, almost all of which will be exported to Thailand..."

How does the economics of this work, that it's cheaper to make it in the UK and ship it back to Thailand rather than produce it in Thailand in the first place?

"...Redcar will produce steel slab, almost all of which will be exported to Thailand..."

How does the economics of this work, that it's cheaper to make it in the UK and ship it back to Thailand rather than produce it in Thailand in the first place?

I would guess it is the quality of the product and the availability of skilled labour that make it a financially viable thing to do.

• Like 1

I would guess it is the quality of the product and the availability of skilled labour that make it a financially viable thing to do.

Skilled labour in Teeside .!!! LOL....think the only thing they are skilled at in that part of the world is hanging monkey's

Skilled labour in Teeside .!!! LOL....think the only thing they are skilled at in that part of the world is hanging monkey's

I'm not going to stoop so low as to respond to that one.....and no, I'm not a Geordie.