Warning - Pattaya Now Has Alcohol Breath Testing In Daily Use

misterhe

To get a licence in any country (well those that I know of) you need to do some form of test - usually to test if you understand the rules and signs of the road and the other to see if you can actually physically drive drive the vehicle and apply those rules safely through a practical test and medical review on eyesight etc................having a licence does not ensure you will adhere to any of the above especially here in Thailand where it is fairly evident that very few actually do (right of way being the most prolific failure) - having a licence only ensures that you at one time were taught the rules - lack of police enforcement and eduacation of the rules is the primary problem here

and lets not forget that kids are driving motorbikes on roads here from very young ages without any understanding of the rules - we also ride bicycles from very young ages at home so there are similarities to an extent

Edited by smedly

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then do you propose, every country should simply remove the need for the license and the points system? Correct me if i am wrong, but the whole idea of license is one's ability to control the vehicle, no?

So if one does not have a license, which part of the test have they failed? or why was their license cancelled?

Having or obtaining a licence, only shows you have the ability to remember a set of signs and signals and adhere to a given course on the day, especially here it means very little, as soon as they get the licence they can drive out of the nice safe course and straight on to high speed motorway traffic (quite literally in Pattaya) with absolutely no preparation for such!

If one does not have a licence they don't have to have failed or had it cancelled, they just haven't bothered to get one, or have not got round to buying one yet!!!

Checkpoint tonight on Thappraya Road, Northbound, heading into Pattaya 200m before the Thapparaya/Patamnak Hill 3-way "stop-lighted" intersection(please excuse the bad spelling). I don't know what kind of checkpoint this is, but the BIB seemed to be showing up en masses about half and hour ago.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a nightly "checkpoint" thread, anyone pleaxse feel free to use this info if they would like to start a nightly checkpoint thread.

• Like 2

Tonight through to Sunday night you can expect extra check-points all over by Traffic Police, Soi 9 Police, Banglamung Police and Highway Police during the Pattaya Music Festival. Not all - if any - will include breath testing.

Do you have any idea what a taxi charge you to take you from downtown to the dark side? Not all of us live in downtown Pattaya.

Motorcycle taxi from Leo's to SSCC at the Crocodile Farm Road Intersection 100 Baht.

The problem is not getting back. The problem is getting INTO town from the darkside.

I hear you Raro- I used to live on the Dark side too. Maybe getting the mobile number of a few trusted moto taxi guys in your neighborhood might help.

^ WoW

Another good warning for people who drink and drive !!!

Edit: //

So that 1 night cost him about 30k in Fines (You can rent a lot of Chauffeured Motobike Trips for that)

Edited by MJCM

Seems like the OP has forgotten to update, i know him, he ended up going to immigration and had to pay 25K to keep his visa.

Seems like the OP has forgotten to update, i know him, he ended up going to immigration and had to pay 25K to keep his visa.

I'm sure the OP will be forever in your debt for providing us with this valuable information on his behalf...

With friends like you....

Tonight through to Sunday night you can expect extra check-points all over by Traffic Police, Soi 9 Police, Banglamung Police and Highway Police during the Pattaya Music Festival. Not all - if any - will include breath testing.

Just an update, when we headed home about 1 am, the spook was over. No cops to be seen anywhere.

Do you have any idea what a taxi charge you to take you from downtown to the dark side? Not all of us live in downtown Pattaya.

Motorcycle taxi from Leo's to SSCC at the Crocodile Farm Road Intersection 100 Baht.

The problem is not getting back. The problem is getting INTO town from the darkside.

I hear you Raro- I used to live on the Dark side too. Maybe getting the mobile number of a few trusted moto taxi guys in your neighborhood might help.

The thing is, you won't find me on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Speaking of risk etc...THAT'S what I consider unsafe!

• Like 2

Just an update, when we headed home about 1 am, the spook was over. No cops to be seen anywhere.

Still making the same mistake isn't it.

Ok one more time it's 11 am 12 am amd than 1 PM not am.

so.. what were the details for that?

Why did he have to go to immigration and what did he have to pay them for?

Raro did not make any mistakes. He went home at 01:00, one hour past midnight, which is 1 am, as he wrote.

Anyway, this thread about police checkpoints, not about the strange 12-hour am/pm time system (would be so much easier if the few still using it could join the metric system like the rest of the world - 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, ... 23:00, 0:00, 1:00), so let's get back on topic shall we. Feel free to open a topic about time systems.

Raro did not make any mistakes. He went home at 01:00, one hour past midnight, which is 1 am, as he wrote.

Anyway, this thread about police checkpoints, not about the strange 12-hour am/pm time system (would be so much easier if the few still using it could join the metric system like the rest of the world - 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, ... 23:00, 0:00, 1:00), so let's get back on topic shall we. Feel free to open a topic about time systems.

I like to add that I apparently overlooked one reply to the deleted post when editing this thread last night from my mobile. I have cleaned this up now and any further nonsense/troll posts won't be tolerated in here.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious as to the calibration record of the device and/or whether it can be abused for personal gain.

That is a good point and when I asked one of the guys picked up in Udon he explained he had only had a couple over a 2 hour period (and knowing the guy for some time can believe that) the last only being a couple of minutes before being stopped and blowing into the machine.

Back in Australia one has just had a drink he/she is told to stay put for 30 minutes or so then tested again (that was the case when I was last tested --- passed). This guy was charged on the reading he produced there and then and was not allowed another test when a proper result would have been achieved after a stabilizing period.

I don't think Thai law is that sophisticated in terms of stabilizing period as per Australia (I'm an Aussie), but in due course I'll be discussing options are processes with my Thai lawyer so that I'm better prepared in future. I'll post any information I get. There was a farang who blew prior to me and was under the limit and walked - so they were letting people off who didn't blow over the limit without fuss.

I got the impression that "no correspondence will be entered into" and that the first reading, was the reading and sufficient evidence of guilt.

You want to be better prepared in future. So does that mean you're planning to break the law gain, but this time have your lawyer on hand?

At least this might help put an end to the stupid farangs who think that they are above the law and can just bribe any policeman to get off. And puts an end to the nonsense that all police accept bribes at all times. It's a pity they don't lock up drink drivers for a few months. Drink drivers are just a bunch of selfish people who have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

Edited by w11guy

FWIW i've been driving drunk more often than not,

but during the 3 accidents i've been involved in, i hadnt drink one drop.

Statistic here is very clear

Here only. Not elsewhere.