Medical Insurance For A Farang

YipYipYa123

I forgot to buying any insurance in europe but i would like to get some in case because i do a lot of motorcycle riding

and feel better to have it in case something happens

Im 28 and have a ED visa for the next 12 months and a letter from embassy confirming my residence if that matters

Just fill in quote request forms with brokers offering international insurance such as, http://www.pacificprime.com/

Generally they'll give you quotes from 4 or 5 different insurance companies.

I was able to get a much better insurance package from BUPA international than anything that BUPA Thailand offers. In my experience the Thai domestic insurance packages suck, and many are not even available to foreigners, just get expat/international insurance.

• Like 1

Just make sure to specifically ask about a motorcycle accident scenario in Thailand. I know if I were running an insurance company I'd put such activities right up there with rock climbing, scuba, ultralight etc.

I would suggest to you that undertaking rock climbing, scuba and ultralighting in Thailand is far safer than driving a bike on the road..

• Like 2

yes of course ,as soon as i came here i got a thai licence for bikes and cars

If your looking at an non-Thai company be aware that they will only underwrite motorcycle cover according to the status of the licence you hold at home, if they underwrite it at all.

i dont care how much it costs (within reason )

i dont want to have to struggle around wounded or bleeding looking for the cheapest hospital i can find in case of some accident etc

so a complete policy i think would be beneficial

would it be better to just save 3000 thb a month in an account and use that for medicial bills if and when they come ?

is it normal for people in thai to purchase medical insurance cover ? is it worth adding out patient care and dentistry service

to the policy or just pay for these things as and when u need them ?

i dont want to have to struggle around wounded or bleeding looking for the cheapest hospital i can find in case of some accident etc

would it be better to just save 3000 thb a month in an account and use that for medicial bills if and when they come ?

is it normal for people in thai to purchase medical insurance cover ? is it worth adding out patient care and dentistry service

Your outlook on this is far more sensible than the vast majority of old aged pensioners in Thailand, who have made absolutely no provision for medical insurance in Thailand and then they start bleating how the hospitals are ripping them off etc.

Buy the best medical insurance you can afford, although idea of putting money away in a bank account is a good one, dont beleive you would be building up enough cash in the account to cover any unforseen medical, you have an accident and end up in hospital, the costs will mount up very quickly

Money in the bank is a good back up. Thai insurance is not good value, from what I have seen. Thai motor bike riding is set somewhere between reckless, dangerous and death. Most seem to think its a computer game and if you crash you just get up carry on again, as I am sure you are aware. Try the website offered and see where it leads you and ask any ambiguous questions for clarification so you uunderstand what you are getting. Travel carefully and arrive.

Your outlook on this is far more sensible than the vast majority of old aged pensioners in Thailand, who have made absolutely no provision for medical insurance in Thailand and then they start bleating how the hospitals are ripping them off etc.

Buy the best medical insurance you can afford, although idea of putting money away in a bank account is a good one, dont beleive you would be building up enough cash in the account to cover any unforseen medical, you have an accident and end up in hospital, the costs will mount up very quickly

i was thinking to dump in about 100 USD monthly into a bank account for such things as medical treatments ,and may be better value than buying insurance for something that may never happen

around 36,000 per year ,or 360k every 10 years + maybe interest at 3-4% per annum

its just worrying if something big happens like a serious injury or something that takes a month or two to recover ,that much may be pea-nuts by comparison :(

i was thinking to dump in about 100 USD monthly into a bank account for such things as medical treatments ,and may be better value than buying insurance for something that may never happen

around 36,000 per year ,or 360k every 10 years + maybe interest at 3-4% per annum

its just worrying if something big happens like a serious injury or something that takes a month or two to recover ,that much may be pea-nuts by comparison :(

The interest rates you are looking at are not realistic for Thailand, if thats where you are thinking of investing, remember if this is your fall back fund for an emergency you will need to have it as an easy access account, have a look at the Thai banks and rates.

Also remember insurance companies exist on your fears, which they stoke up that accidents happen, if you can be as safe as possible on the road. no speeding, we aware of what is going on around you, no tail gating etc then stash the cash for a rainy day and hope for the best.

I am also told that the road tax sticker you buy to make you legal on the road also carries some form of insurance with it, perhaps someone else might know about this, or ask on the motor form.

You will get best value by looking for a "disaster" policy that has a high deductible - don't use for minor, routine things like a broken arm, but also a very high upper limit, including if necessary evacuation to Bangkok or even home in the event of e.g. a major head injury.

• Like 1

Very good idea to save up some cash for unforseen (I do the same myself). The tax-slip includes an insurance of nearly nothing, I believe it is 50,000 baht. Most PA's are limited to 50k or 100k for motorbike accident (driver or passenger), but some offers a higher margin for a little extra cost. Bangkok Bank sells such a PA, »PA 1st«, up to 1.5m in Gold Plan and including a higher amount for medical expences (they have an English translation at an A4 sheet). Prices from aprox 1500 bath to 8000 baht/year. Worth checking.

I was able to get a much better insurance package from BUPA international than anything that BUPA Thailand offers. In my experience the Thai domestic insurance packages suck, and many are not even available to foreigners, just get expat/international insurance.

I was just looking at Bupa International's site after looking on here and watched their video on "making a claim" and they say that you have to pay the hospital bills up front and then make a claim with them later to get reimbursed. Maybe I'm missing something but for me that defeats the purpose of having health insurance because it's the things that I can't afford that I want to be covered for. If I could cover every unforeseen illness or accident myself I wouldn't even bother worrying about health insurance.

I was just looking at Bupa International's site after looking on here and watched their video on "making a claim" and they say that you have to pay the hospital bills up front and then make a claim with them later to get reimbursed. Maybe I'm missing something but for me that defeats the purpose of having health insurance because it's the things that I can't afford that I want to be covered for. If I could cover every unforeseen illness or accident myself I wouldn't even bother worrying about health insurance.

Below is quoted from BUPA international website (see "Direct Settlement" section):

How do I make a claim?Hide

It's a good idea to contact us before you receive treatment. This lets us confirm your coverage and give you Prior approval.

Request Prior approval now

You must get prior approval for all treatment in the USA.

There are two ways that your medical treatment can be paid:

Direct settlement

• You contact us to advise what treatment you intend to receive
  • We confirm that treatment is eligible and that we can give Prior approval
  • We send Prior approval documents to you and your treatment provider
  • You complete and sign the Prior approval form
  • Your medical provider attaches the invoice(s) for your treatment and returns to us with the documents
  • We process the claim and pay your medical provider directly
  • We send you a 'payment statement' advising when and how it was paid, and who received the payment
  • You settle any shortfall with your medical provider

Pay and claim

• You contact us to advise what treatment you intend to receive
  • We confirm your cover and benefit limits
  • You receive treatment and pay your medical provider (usually at time of treatment)
  • You and your medical provider complete a claim form
  • You make a claim via MembersWorld or return the claim form to us with all original invoices within six months of the initial treatment
  • We process the claim and pay you (by cheque or electronic bank transfer, as applicable)
  • We send you a payment statement advising when and how it was paid, and who received the payment

Edited by dave111223