What To Wear In The Los To Avoid Looking Like A Reprobate?

HalfSquat

I've been in Thailand for a while and thanks to the infernal heat and humidity I am never really sure what to wear.

I'm no longer working so don't have to look smart but don't want to look like a vagabond either.

Lately I've found myself just wearing sportswear like shorts and t-shirts made from the man made fibres that stop you from sweating and when you do sweat they don't absorb any of it so you don't look like you've been swimming.

These clothes have mainly been chosen by default rather than by choice due to their practicality but they don't look that great.

When I go out to meal and things in the evening I wear jeans and shoes but in the day and for more casual occasions what are the options?

Over and out.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I wear sandals or flipflops or whatever you call them all the time here, unless I have a business related meeting or function. Thais mostly wear them and it makes sense. Your feet will stay rash free and you can clean them when you go home.

I wear jeans and a dress shirt when going to immigration...sandals stay on. Guess you could go for one of the nicer looking leather ones if you want to look nicer.

I would say the biggest thing (in the eyes of the Thai people) is that everything is clean and free of holes. You really don't need to walk around like a fashion queen unless you want to. However, stained/ripped clothes will quickly draw comments.

long trouser, Polo Shirt, socks and shoes. Basically everywhere beside the beach, beach bar or in the pool.

in the office the same no shoes no socks.

Without aircon it gets difficult with sweat. Some plastic shirts let me sweat like a waterfall, while some natural fabric is OK

I wear a t-shirt, combat style shorts - although not army shorts - and croc shoes (bright yellow are my favs). There is no way I'm wearing jeans or trousers by choice in this heat, although I do sometimes wear linen short sleeve shirts. Do I look smart? No. But I look clean and presentable.

I think alsong as you are clean, look clean and do't wear stupid t-shirt will some daft message, you are OK. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree, but comfort over style in Thailand for me.

Being clean shaven and tidy hair/or shaved head are more important than the clothes.

It also depends on the person, my brother just looks a mess whatever he is wearing. You could dress him in a bespoke Armani suit and he would still look like a beggar.....

Edited by mjj

What an odd question! I always wear shorts and a T-shirt, one with a collar if I want to look smart, but I've never worried about "looking like a reprobate". I don't think I could look like one if I tried.

i see plenty of farang that look like retrobates ,but plenty of thais also so ,that balances it out i suppose

I just got my latest consignment of XXXL Slayer, Opeth, Iron Maiden and Anthrax T-Shirts from the UK.

They look superb, are nice and loose in the heat and best of all, I know they really pee off those who think we should all wear full Evening Dress so we don't upset the natives.

• Like 1

Depends on your goals. If you want to actually look "impressive" to the Thais, because you never know where you're come across a potential pickup or customer for your services:

- Downtown CBD - long dress trousers, light-weight wool is fine, shoes that take a polish. Dress shirt and tie, or for casual a polo shirt.

- Slumming it - neat jeans and polo, or maybe a T shirt, your call on sandals vs runners/sneakers

- Never shorts and sandals except at the beach.

If you don't give a stuff about the Thais - other than not being offensive, then wear anything you like except, when you visit a temple - they've long become used to us being sloppy, and most educated and farang-experienced Thais understand our appearance has little to do with actual status and wealth. But you won't get the same positive response from many compared to the above.

For pure comfort in hot weather

- go down to the wholesale cloth markets and buy a roll of 100% linen, either light khaki or ivory, the former being more practical.

- Have your tailor make up loose-fitting tab-collar shirts and jammie bottoms, some shorts for the beach. Wind blows through like open windows. Sandals of course, go commando for maximum effect.

And for all you guys wearing shorts and sandals with over-the-calf white socks!! My God, really??

• Like 1

There is no way I'm wearing jeans or trousers by choice in this heat,

This is a misconception. The trousers and a long sleeved shirt (lightweight jacket) will actually protect you from the heat from the sun.

+1 thumbsup.gif

If you don't give a stuff about the Thais - other than not being offensive, then wear anything you like except, when you visit a temple - they've long become used to us being sloppy, and most educated and farang-experienced Thais understand our appearance has little to do with actual status and wealth. But you won't get the same positive response from many compared to the above.

I live in a street where most of the (male) Thais go around bare chested once they finish work and get home.

You reckon it would be a good idea to follow suit or is it better to keep my shirt on.

I'm quite hairy which might scare some folks.

• Like 2

your asking other people what you should wear.

I believe you should be yourself, don't judge people by how they dress, they may just be a highly educated even wealthy person who is comfortable wearing that.

Is mainly the borderline rich who try to act a certain way, dress a certain way to impress others who really don't care anyway, do what you wish, if others don't like it who cares they don't pay your rent.

• Like 1

I pretty much wear tshirt or singlet and shorts most of the time with sneakers and light sports socks, i had to change sneakers to ones that allow air in, i only wear sandles or thongs on short walks.

If going up market day time or peak summer time evening i keep with dress jean shorts or good cotton shorts with long sleeve shirt with cuffs rolled partly up or short sleeve shirt, causal shoes no socks, i find shirts often cooler than tshirts.

I will wear only light weight cotton trousers here...ive thrown 2 pairs of jeans away i brought over with me and the one pair of light weight jeans i replaced them with wernt comfortable so i had them cut down to shorts.