Laptop Repair - Any Recommendations For Chiang Mai

mrireland

I let some beer fall on my laptop, not the cleverest thing to do (was Chang if that matters as im sure someone will ask tongue.png ) but it didnt seem to go into it and i just held it upside down and figured it would be fine, used it for a while after that and next morning when i woke up fan would turn on but nothing working, no boot/setup screen coming up, keyboard not lighting up, tried external monitor and keyboard and no luck, took it apart and let it dry in the heat with non direct sunlight but it was already bone dry at that stage, could be complete coincidence and the beer had nothing to do it with it but most likely i think it shorted something. I also tried reseating both ram sticks, and tried just using 1 of them in different slots so im pretty sure something is dead.

Now i only got the laptop in Pantip a couple of months ago €1200, Dell XPS. Im pretty certain that it wouldnt cover water damage but in any case i would expect they'll send it to bangkok and i wont see it for weeks, my backup laptop is crap and need my Dell back asap so im looking to take it to a repair shop in Chiang Mai

What im a bit paranoid about is someone either overcharging me or striping out the good parts for old parts and returning saying it couldnt be fixed. Dont mind paying extra for it getting fixed quickly but i dont want them to replace a good part with something cheap at the same time.

What i was thinking about was getting a voltometer, ive used it before on a PC to test the power supply but i havent used it on other parts, im sure i can figure it out quickly which part is dead with a bit of googling what parts and how to test, that way i will be able to tell the technician what is broke and ill have an idea from googling what the price range should be, course it would be much better if i could go to a technician someone could recommend that is honest and reliable and save me all that hassle.

Should i do the voltometer tests and just ask for the part and fit it myself or can anyone recommend a good repair shop, dont have much thai but i can explain in 1's and 0's if necessary whistling.gif

also whats the part i definetely dont want to have blown, the Motherboard im assuming will be the most expensive and difficult part to get?

Suggestion: go to the Dell dealer, ask them to remove the hard drive, make sure it's working, then ship the rest of the computer off for whatever. Put the Dell laptop hard drive in an external enclosure (cheap, easy to do), and then access it from your other laptop. To not take advantage of warranty on such an expensive, and relatively new computer, does not seem wise, to me. At the least you need to find out what your warranty will and will not cover.

If you got no warranty, or hard drive appears dead: read the recent thread on this forum started by GonzoTheFace, about his laptop's "miracle cure," and read my thread, posted a while ago: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/498123-good-experience-with-repair-of-notebook-computer/page__p__4696614#entry4696614

And go see Khun Khong.

best, ~o:37;

There used to be a fellow at pantip on the third floor where you got of the escalators on the Office Supply side. I believe he got moved to the second floor just by where the escalators start up,

Check him out I have used him several times and his English was good.

• Like 1

Hello mrireland

Just a few words to informmmmmm youuuuuuu about your next miracle,,,,,,, gimme me an amen der in de back...

http://www.thaivisa....02#entry5202202

If you wish you may spend a few minutes boneing up on a miracle that I observed and at such a low price.

If you don't wish, you can still be on the receiving end of a miracle of your own. Go to Panthip Pz

Take the back elevator by the loading docks, and follow the attached footsteps map for miracles and in just a short time you will be back in business..

Yes the man's name is Kn. Khong and his telephone no. is again 08-9560-2584.

Go up the back elevator {probably lift to you} , get off at number 2 and follow the map directions.....If you can't find the place or are unsure, go to the ' X ' and use your hand phone to call the above number , then look around for a guy picking up his handphone to answer your call...

The man is good,....... no the man is better than good ..... he will work a miracle for you and most shocking to you will be the low cost......

Good Luck and you are just a few hours away from computing...... if only youuuuu Believeeeeee

Gonzo

thumbsup.gif

post-22124-0-59371700-1334733868_thumb.jpost-22124-0-59371700-1334733868_thumb.j

Don't know how I did that miracle though, one map for each eye......

Also if you talk real nice, maybe he can get the beer back too....

tongue.png

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Hopefully it's not too badly damaged but, warranties are just about always “limited.” Limited, in the case of a consumer product such as your laptop, means limited to manufacturer defect, shipping damage etc. It will not cover your laptop having one beer to many. If products were covered by consumer accident or abuse, I'd be making sure my electronics had a convenient accident at least every 6 moths or so (or when a new model is released). Having said that, some credit cards do have an unlimited clause in your agreement. If you bought on your card, check with the issuer, you may be lucky.

BTW – I spent nearly 30 years selling consumer electronics.