Top 11 Reasons Why Farang Should Go Back To Their Own Country

loong

Having a bad experience with one or two Thai people and therefore applying that particular person's negative trait to encompass all Thai people. As in all Thais are stupid/liars/dishonest etc.

If I were to do the same with some of the westerners I've had the misfortune to encounter I'd have to come to the inescapable conclusion that all westerners are stupid/liars/dishonest etc.

Yes, however it is true to say that all the wise Thais tend to avoid us due to a blanket stereotyping too. You just can't win.

I find that wise people of any race don't rely on blanket stereotypes.

SC

Edit: In Thailand, I find that a thin sheet suffices, and if one sleeps with the windows open and the fan running, one can dispense with the airconditioning, if one is on a reasonably high floor.

Edited by StreetCowboy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno what # we're at by now, but I'd add those:

Every farung should go home when...

... don't know how to dress properly

... think that "farung" is a racist expression

... refer every topic to red shirts or Thaksin

... take everything serious and personal, even this thread :P:D

cheers! drunk.gif

I can tick 6 of those boxes ............ and I am working on a couple more.

I tried, but even with great effort, I can only tic off 5...

The list is an interesting idea - an inside joke...LOL

However, my first efforts at speaking Thai were 46 years ago - back when Thai people were brown and Immigration was no hassle whatsoever - the immigration chief was happy with 100 Baht a month for an unlimited stay...LOL

As for income, the Thai Government hasn't yet realized that residents (sic), on long term, renewable visas, bring in substantially more money to the people than does tourism... Likewise, that money goes to substantive local improvement - homes, cars, businesses, and not just a roll in the hay, where some rich dude in Bangkok gets 40% or the lady's husband gets another day to stay drunk...

Although, the many 'rolls in the hay' seem to be changing the complexion of the Thai people, as a few Thai families seem to look more foreign than Thai...LOL

Edited by dighambara

When you post threads asking if it is possible to have a beer because you aren't sure or are scared that the local 7/11 will be closed during the holiday and need the alcohol. to get through the day.

There is no such thing as a "second class" Thai citizen. You either you are, or you aren't

You clearly either walk around with your head in a bag, or you're making it all up if you think that is the case...

I based my statement on personal experience. Yours is based on ill-informed conjecture. Sorry.

Are you going to tell me that were there ever a dispute between let's say, a high ranking public official and a taxi driver, that the taxi driver would get a level playing field?

I had always thought that was due to unofficial influences, rather than different categories of citizenship.

I've never seen any reference to different classes of citizen when people have offered advice regarding rules or laws here, though they have suggested that, although the law applies to everyone equally, some people may be able to flout it, while others cannot.

In the eyes of the law, all Thais are equal. In the eyes of the judge, that may not be the case

SC

In the eyes of the law, all Thais are equal. In the eyes of the judge, that may not be the case

That is as maybe, but in reality, such nonsense has no bearing...

Not only in the eyes of the judge either. Most Thais will know (or be told) "their place" in the social pecking order from a pretty early age.

I've yet to hear of a court case in Thailand where someone has stood up and said "but Your Honour, it says here that all Thais are equal..."

Therefore to suggest that " You either you are, or you aren't" is mere piffle waffle and a good indicator of why the country is becoming more and more divided by the day...

Don't care how "Thai" people are as long as they are respectful.

What I don't get are the people who seem to hate Thailand and Thais...yet stick around. They are the ones who need to move on, for their mental health and that of everyone around them.

Excuse me. What gives you the right to tell anyone they need to move on? ........

Does him being a Thai, and you being a foreigner count?

Is that a real Thai? or a pretend? cash bought one?

Not only in the eyes of the judge either. Most Thais will know (or be told) "their place" in the social pecking order from a pretty early age.

I've yet to hear of a court case in Thailand where someone has stood up and said "but Your Honour, it says here that all Thais are equal..."

Therefore to suggest that " You either you are, or you aren't" is mere piffle waffle and a good indicator of why the country is becoming more and more divided by the day...

It would seem that if that is as may be ("all Thais are equal in the eyes of the law", then it is not nonsense.

Is the country divided because people know their place in society, or because they think that they are equal in the eyes of the law, and want to be treated as such?

To what extent do you really believe that the piffle waffling opinions of farang are good indicators of why the country (I infer Thailand) is becoming more and more divided day by day.

How much more divided is it becoming each day? How do you measure such fractiousness?

I put it to you that by giving clear and lucid answers to the above, you will be able to show that is not your good self who is in fact spouting nonsense based on stereotyped prejudice.

SC

I really don't know why I bother... I'm really not interested in whether or not there are first and 2nd class, or economy and business class thai citizens, nor whether the law discriminates against people who are Thai by birth, naturalisation or self-proclamation. I just feel that the rigour of debate on this forum leaves a great deal to be desired.

I put it to you that by giving clear and lucid answers to the above, you will be able to show that is not your good self who is in fact spouting nonsense based on stereotyped prejudice.

Stereotyped prejudice?

Could you show me an example of this please?

I notice that while you try and dismiss what I have written as "Stereotyped prejudice"; you yourself have omitted to actually make any point on the topic.

Sometimes I just feel that the rigour of debate on this forum leaves a great deal to be desired...

Are you going to tell me that were there ever a dispute between let's say, a high ranking public official and a taxi driver, that the taxi driver would get a level playing field?

Is that what you were talking about? I guess I misunderstood. There is no place in the world I consider to have a "level playing field" based on what you were talking about.

There is no place in the world I consider to have a "level playing field" based on what you were talking about.

Well, in the UK I (a lad from modest working class stock), successfully claimed a few thousand pounds from a company owned by the son of a well known Cabinet politician who had been my landlord in London.

Over here it wouldn't even reach the courts, so I guess in the eyes of the law in the UK, everyone is equal.

In the US we frequently hear of the "man on the street" suing (and winning) against huge multinationals...

I think there are many places where "in the eyes of the law" all are equal "in the eyes of the law" and everyone has a chance...but this isn't one of them...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Stereotyped prejudice?

I notice that while you try and dismiss what I have written as "Stereotyped prejudice"; you yourself have omitted to actually make any point on the topic.

Sometimes I just feel that the rigour of debate on this forum leaves a great deal to be desired...

I supported the claim that there are no '2nd class Thai citizens', with which you disagreed. I said that in the eyes of the law, all Thais are equal, though the treatment that they receive by those that execute the law may differ. However, that is not by nature of their different classes of citizenship. It is down to the prejudices and personal partialities of the people enforcing the law.

Just as you hold a view that the Thai justice system is fundamentally biassed against some people, though when one reads quotations from the laws of the land, such bias is not apparent.

As I undestand, a naturalised Thai citizen has basically the same rights as any other Thai citizen, whether they be brown, cream, Bourneville dark or laburnum. You'll still get called "hansum man", though, because in the eyes of the bargirl, you'll be a farang no matter what colour your passport or the crest on your birth certificate.

I hope that is clear.

SC

I supported the claim that there are no '2nd class Thai citizens', with which you disagreed. I said that in the eyes of the law, all Thais are equal, though the treatment that they receive by those that execute the law may differ.

Therefore, in reality, they are not equal then....?

OK, we're heading into "reality vs Theory", but that was my point and not a "prejudiced stereotype" in sight...not a single one.

You'll still get called "hansum man", though, because in the eyes of the bargirl, you'll be a farang no matter what colour your passport or the crest on your birth certificate.

Oh my! What a prejudiced stereotype that is, but sadly I've not been called that in many a year....

Stereotyped prejudice?

As I undestand, a naturalised Thai citizen has basically the same rights as any other Thai citizen, whether they be brown, cream, Bourneville dark or laburnum.

SC

In theory, I am sure they do. If only we all lived in lovely theory instead of that ghastly thing called reality.

• 2 weeks later...

The surfaced and borrowed political infrastructure is the model that promotes the obvious divisive manner with today's Thai society. As like most of the world's cultures, there is a traditional class-orientation that supersedes any such social or political mandates. It is what it is...

• Like 1

Don't care how "Thai" people are as long as they are respectful.

What I don't get are the people who seem to hate Thailand and Thais...yet stick around. They are the ones who need to move on, for their mental health and that of everyone around them.

Excuse me. What gives you the right to tell anyone they need to move on? Maybe they ENJOY hating wherever they are. Or maybe they hate their home country even worse and have no other options, so Thailand is best possible world for them. I find it idiotic to presume to have the solution for people you know NOTHING about.

Nice one OP. Very funny, even if rather close to the bone for many.

I got 4 negative scores out of 10 and am not sure, if that means I have to move on or not. Ha ha.

I tend to agree with Newly Minted Thai that there are some people that one wonders why they bother to stay here, if you can hardly speak a word of Thai and seem to hate virtually every thing about the country apart from the cheap sex and tarts who are willing to perjure themselves by referring to knarled old geezers with bald heads and multiple tatoos as "handsome men".

Anyway I think it is relatively difficult for the retirees who come here when they are already over 50 or 60 to adapt to the country. It's a lot easier for those of us who came here to work and have been a bit more integrated into society through being part of the workforce and can learn the language at a younger age. Adding the serious problem of most retirees being uninsured and having no access to decent quality free or affordable healthcare, I would think twice about coming to retire here.

Edited by Arkady

The government is empowered to revoke Thai nationality of a person who had acquired such nationality through naturalization. rolleyes.gif

This is also true in the UK and other Western countries.

If you peruse the Royal Gazette, you will find very few cases, if any, of involuntary revocation of nationality from naturalized Thais over the last several decades. The vast majority of the revocation cases were Chinese Thais who got their nationality through being born in Thailand to alien parents and then went to live in China for more than five years (many as students) which rightly or wrongly labelled them a threat to Thai national security in the Cold War. Some got their citizenship back 30 years later! There have also been a much smaller number of cases of revocation of citizenship of Thais who got citizenship through birth in Thailand to alien parents or through adoption of their Thai husband's nationality that lost it as a result of being convicted of serious crimes like drug smuggling in Thailand or abroad.

The statistical evidence in the Royal Gazette suggests that it is extremely difficult for naturalized Thais to lose their Thai nationality. Since they have been through an approval process, their claim on nationality seems to be considered much stronger than those who got nationality simply through the accident of birth in Thailand to alien parents. The latter route to nationality was closed in 1971, except for those born in Thailand to alien parents who both have PR.

Edited by Arkady

I tend to agree with Newly Minted Thai that there are some people that one wonders why they bother to stay here, if you can hardly speak a word of Thai and seem to hate virtually every thing about the country apart from the cheap sex and tarts who are willing to perjure themselves by referring to knarled old geezers with bald heads and multiple tatoos as "handsome men".

Such a vulgar, offensive stereotype of the many thousands of expat retirees in Thailand, each here for their own individual motivations, in no conceivable way represents this group of people. Also, it's funny how the Thai-ier than Thai crowd tend to interpret natural criticism of some things in Thailand as hating everything about Thailand. Ultimately, it is a personal choice for any of us who choose to live in Thailand and can manage to do so visa-wise, etc.
  • Like 1

Such a vulgar, offensive stereotype of the many thousands of expat retirees in Thailand, each here for their own individual motivations, in no conceivable way represents this group of people. Also, it's funny how the Thai-ier than Thai crowd tend to interpret natural criticism of some things in Thailand as hating everything about Thailand. Ultimately, it is a personal choice for any of us who choose to live in Thailand and can manage to do so visa-wise, etc.

555 biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...