Thai Cabinet Approves Ban On Imports Of Used Vehicles

webfact

Ban on imports of used vehicles

The Nation

30180164-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved the Transport Ministry's proposal to ban import and registration of second-hand vehicles. Four types of vehicles are targeted by the ban: motorcycles, sedans, pick-ups and vehicles that carry more than seven passengers.

The ban also aims to prevent or minimise the smuggling of parts used to assemble vehicles that cab then be sold as new.

The initiative is viewed as being beneficial to domestic auto-makers as well as for the sake of public safety because ministry officials say many illegally assembled vehicles, especially motorcycles with large engine sizes, were being used for street racing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The ban also aims to prevent or minimize the smuggling of parts used to assemble vehicles that can then be sold as new."

The way I also read it is they are stopping used parts from entering as well. So if you need a special part from abroad seems you could be fked.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 1

motorcycles, sedans, pick-ups and vehicles that carry more than seven passengers.

So what else is left? Is Thailand the only country in the world with such a bizar law ?

I am missing something here, the Gov claims that Thailand is going to be the Detroit of Asia car manufacturing. Take that with a grain of salt. But, it is true that many cars are manufactured in Thailand and sold domestically. so why are used cars here so dam_n expensive, I mean crap boxes.

Old clapped out junk that you could easy buy for $500-$1000 in USA, Australia or Europe you have to pay $6000+ in Thailand.

In my opinion, Thailand needs the tax revenue from these kinds of items. The majority of citizens here do not pay any personal income tax. Most of the small businesses are not registered as businesses nor submit any VAT or income taxes. Therefore, tax revenues must largely come from import and excise taxes plus the VAT system. Furthermore, the lowering of taxes on vehicles will also put more pressure on the road infrastructure (even more cars) which we all know is pretty bad already.
  • Like 2

I guess that the Government is done with all problems what comes with these imports and illegal imports. Next to that they miss a lot of tax income too. It seems that more complicated issues can not be solved here, so they use the big ax to " solve " things. Why not make imports more easy, but have every vehikle be tested before it is allowed on the Thai roads? Keep strickt rules and procedures and ofcourse tax payments and payment for the inspection and testing. Tja.... it seems that we all have to drive a Thai eco car or a Rayong pickup. Arai ka dai.

"The ban also aims to prevent or minimize the smuggling of parts used to assemble vehicles that can then be sold as new."

The way I also read it is they are stopping used parts from entering as well. So if you need a special part from abroad seems you could be fked.

I haven't read the new law but I am aware of quite a few shops here that sell imported used parts for Japanese cars at rates much lower than the OEM parts from dealers. These "used" parts are taken from relatively new vehicles in Japan (and Singapore) that did not pass strict road worthiness tests and then exported to Thailand and other parts of the world. The large auto manufacturers are understandably upset.

I can understand the protectionary taxes that are charged for vehicles that compete with vehicles that are made here but <deleted> let us import our sports cars and luxury cars! No car company doing manufacturing in Thailand currently makes anything comparable. Thailand...land of crappy cars.

• Like 1

the road infrastructure (even more cars) which we all know is pretty bad already.

Actually, the road infrastructure is actually quite good for a developing nation. Been in quite a few where outside of the major city - you could NOT drive a car - in fact rental agencies would not insure it outside of city unless you rented a rugged jeep.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the amount of road space available in Thailand, not the condition of the roads.

another example of why the Thai economy is in better shape than most western economies. simply block all competition.

it help also to attend economic meetings and talk about the dangers of protectionism.

about time the west started to learn from the east.

• Like 1

motorcycles, sedans, pick-ups and vehicles that carry more than seven passengers.

So what else is left? Is Thailand the only country in the world with such a bizar law ?

I am missing something here, the Gov claims that Thailand is going to be the Detroit of Asia car manufacturing. Take that with a grain of salt. But, it is true that many cars are manufactured in Thailand and sold domestically. so why are used cars here so dam_n expensive, I mean crap boxes.

Old clapped out junk that you could easy buy for $500-$1000 in USA, Australia or Europe you have to pay $6000+ in Thailand.

Totally agree with this quote.

This is simply ... crazy. There must be something corrupt going on here.

A quick Google search seems to show that the only country which has done this is Zimbabwe, and they have even stopped this ludicrous law. I hope the Thai government is not taking its cues from a country like this, despite K. Nalinee Taveesin's connection to that government (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/527183-new-thai-minister-nalinee-on-us-blacklist/page__st__50__p__4990795__hl__+us%20+government%20+blacklist%20+yingluck%20+cabinet#entry4990795).

Many small companies cannot afford to purchase a fleet of new vehicles for their businesses.

How does this affect driving cars over the border? Will there be special dispensations for security teams bringing over their own vehicles? That last is a rhetorical question, but I wonder if the law covers this.

There is a grey market out there for parts and vehicles, especially motorcycles. It is because of the outrageous taxation levels the government imposes. They fix that issue, and suddenly there will be more tax revenue coming in from vehicle purchases, not less.

The initiative is viewed as being beneficial ......for the sake of public safety......

Oh gosh, it took me five minutes to pick myself up off the floor from laughing so hard...for sake of public safety the govt says...I'm sure this restriction on the import of used vehicles will make a major reduction in all the dangerously maintained and loaded vehicles on Thailand's roads everyday. Oh gosh, excuse me, I'm falling to the floor again in laughter....cheesy.gif

This is for the sake of the government. Just like rverything else since July. And they call this a democratic society. That's what I'm laughing at.

i guess second hand car and bike prices aren't high enough already, so need to stomp on any possible competition

Top Gear did a piece a few months ago where the presenters bought top of the line 2nd hand cars for about 7000 pounds. Clarkson got a fantastic looking, fully loaded, high end merc that looked like new for about 7 grand so that's about 350000 baht. over here the same car would probably sell for 2-3 million.

• Like 1