New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

• 3 weeks later...

i received a new 10-year uk passport in bangkok about a month ago. the whole process took about 4 weeks and was dealt with very efficiently at the time or so i thought.

as i picked up the new passport i was asked to show the old one. the guy took it and got his scissors ready. i implored him not to cut the edges as it would save me from having to go to the trouble of transferring visa stamps. he said that he was required to so i left it at that.

it is only today that i find out that in order to transfer visa stamps (marriage visa extended in bangkok for several years) at bangkok immigration, that i need yet another letter, and this time a trip to the embassy is required to get it.

i am quite upset that the thai guys made no mention of this when i picked up my new passport, neither did they furnish me with the appropriate information or forms etc. that i need to submit to the embassy.

so i have two questions:

1) where can i obtain the app. form that i need to present to the british embassy in order that they will supply a letter?

2) if i don't transfer the visa stamps is it just a question of taking both passports when i do bangkok 90-day reporting in person?

thanks in advance

Edited by a269652

• 4 months later...

I have a new passport that i got in Scotland in June 2015 and I used 2 passports to enter Thailand in June 2015 and got my extension of stay stamp in my new passport up to the end of October when my extension due to marriage has to be done again. I also have to do my 90 day report this week. I don't have this letter so will I get my 90 days done before I get this letter? Do you have to make an appointment with the British Embassy to get this letter?

Regards

Scotsman

• 1 month later...

Hello guys.

Just got a new passport today as pages in the old one ran out,

I'm on a 30 day extension of a 60-day tourist visa (got the visa in Cambodia, the extension in Samui) and was instructed to go to Chaengwattana to get the stamps / visa transferred from the old to the new.

They even gave me a nice letter to the Thai immigration officer asking kindly to transfer the visas.

So, to be on the safe side,

I went to Chaengwattana, spent a good few hours there (fortunately, they've got 7-11, fast foods and free wifi there !)

After talking to the immigration officer I was told I couldn't transfer it there as my extension was done in Samui !!

I'd been presented with two options:

1) Go back to Samui (Surat thani immigration department) to get the extension transferred (very unreal as I've just 2 days left on my 30 day extension meaning I'll HAVE to overstay)

2) Leave the country through the border with both passports, the letter from the embassy and hope for the best and kindness of the immigration officer.

Now, as I'm NOT intending to go back to Samui,

But, I can't help it wonder if there's a chance the immigration officer will insist on sending me there (even if it means he's causing me to overstay)

Planning to cross the Trat / Koh Kong border to Cambodia, and REALLY hoping not to get sent in Jail nor back to Samui / Surat thani...

It is very peculiar as visas and stamps on passports AREN'T supposed to be canceled even if the passport has been renewed.

Anyone has any recommendations about this?

Edited by johnnybb2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

The last post are concerning 60 days tourist visa. My case is a bit different and I would like just to check if information is updated.

I have a tourist visa 2 months + 2 months (double entry) and my first 2 months will be over next week.

I plan to go tomorrow to make extension of visa, but my visa is in my old passport.

As I have got a new passport last month, is it required to transfer the stamp to my new passport and then request 1 month extension?

Or is it possible to request the 1 month extension just showing the old passport with my tourist visa?

Wonder if it can be done in the same day...

Thank you!

Edited by purchasingadvisors

Hi all,

The last post are concerning 60 days tourist visa. My case is a bit different and I would like just to check if information is updated.

I have a tourist visa 2 months + 2 months (double entry) and my first 2 months will be over next week.

I plan to go tomorrow to make extension of visa, but my visa is in my old passport.

As I have got a new passport last month, is it required to transfer the stamp to my new passport and then request 1 month extension?

Or is it possible to request the 1 month extension just showing the old passport with my tourist visa?

Wonder if it can be done in the same day...

Thank you!

They will do the stamp transfer before doing the extension. Your entry/permitted to stay stamp has to be transferred to your new passport in order for them to do the extension.

It can be done on the same day.

• Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe

It happened something similar.

In fact at Chaeng Wattana, it is needed to fill 2 forms:

- Tm. 7 (for extension visa)

- Transfert stamp to new passoport

Asked only 1 ticket number for queuing as they do both (extension+transfer) at the same counter and at the same time.

Submit forms, documents and pay 1,900THB and then wait around 1 hour for their paperwork.

After this, everything is done.

No need to go early as queue is fast.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I can't see the answer to this exactly in the thread, so I will ask directly.

I am in Thailand on a marriage visa.

I have just received a new British passport and the corner has been cut from my old passport.

Obviously, I have to move my visa to the new passport at some stage.

Although I obviously can't travel on my old passport, it remains 'valid' until September.

My visa is up for renewal in July.

I was wondering whether I need to make a trip to immigration before then to move my visa stamp to the new passport, or whether I can wait until July and just have to new visa added to my new passport.

If July would be too late, is there any specific deadline you have to meet (2 weeks, one month, etc.) to move a visa stamp to a new passport.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I am in BKK

BKKJ

Edited by BKKJ

Hi

I have just received a new British passport and the corner has been cut from my old passport.

Although I obviously can't travel on my old passport, it remains 'valid' until September.

I was wondering whether I need to make a trip to immigration before then to move my visa stamp to the new passport, or whether I can wait until July and just have to new visa added to my new passport.

If July would be too late, is there any specific deadline you have to meet (2 weeks, one month, etc.) to move a visa stamp to a new passport.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I am in BKK

BKKJ

Visas are not transferred. If you have a valid multiple entry visa from an embassy or consulate you will need to use both passports to use your visa in the old one. No need to go to immigration. On your next departure from the country you use both passports and they will transfer your last entry stamp to the new one.

Only extensions of stay issued by immigration are transferred and/or entry stamps.

Hi

Thanks in advance.

PS - I am in BKK

BKKJ

If you have a valid visa you need do nothing. Valid visas are never transferred.

You must present both passports when leaving/entering Thailand whilst the visa remains valid.

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm that the above information is still current.

I also collected my new British passport from Trendy today.

I am currently here on a multiple entry non O visa based on marriage to a Thai. I have no extensions prefering to do 90 day visa runs.

My current visa was issued in Savan and will expire mid August. Am I correct in understanding that I do not need to go to immigration to get anything transferred and that all I need to do when I depart from Mukdahan in August ( for new visa ) is show both old and new passports to the Thai immigration office at the border bridge ?

Thanks in advance ..... Denim

Edited by Denim

I am currently here on a multiple entry non O visa based on marriage to a Thai. I have no extensions prefering to do 90 day visa runs.

My current visa was issued in Savan and will expire mid August. Am I correct in understanding that I do not need to go to immigration to get anything transferred and that all I need to do when I depart from Mukdahan in August ( for new visa ) is show both old and new passports to the Thai immigration office at the border bridge ?

You don have to have anything done at immigration. Just show both passports on departure from the country.

If it is your visa that is expiring in August you could get another 90 day entry from it as long as you do it before the enter before date on your visa. Show both passports on entry to use the still valid visa in the old one.

You don have to have anything done at immigration. Just show both passports on departure from the country.

If it is your visa that is expiring in August you could get another 90 day entry from it as long as you do it before the enter before date on your visa. Show both passports on entry to use the still valid visa in the old one.

Thanks for the quick answer UJ. Just about to check out of our Bangkok hotel for the three hour drive home and wanted to be sure before we left.

I know I could squeeze another 90 days from my current visa but will be visiting the UK in September and prefer to have the visa issue sorted rather than have to apply in London .

Thanks again ....... Denim

i am on exactly the same visa as you den went to imigration 20 mins ago to move my visa and stamp into new passport which i got on friday from trendy imigtation officer told me to go to border with both passports .. as i didnt belive him i was just about to message joe to ask him and i saw he answered the same question 5 mins ago... TRUST IN JOE.. thanks joe

• 3 months later...

Haven't found an answer to this previously so I'll ask hoping for some help. :)

I entered on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa and then extended it at changwattana immigration for another 30 days. I just got a new passport today (ran out of pages) and will be leaving thailand in 2 days.

Do I have to go to changwattana to transfer the visa extension or can this be done in Suvarnabhumi when I leave? 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, iman said:

Haven't found an answer to this previously so I'll ask hoping for some help. :)

I entered on a 30 day on arrival tourist visa and then extended it at changwattana immigration for another 30 days. I just got a new passport today (ran out of pages) and will be leaving thailand in 2 days.

Do I have to go to changwattana to transfer the visa extension or can this be done in Suvarnabhumi when I leave? 

Thanks!

You can do it all when you leave, just take both PPs along and also take the letter that you should have received from Trendy house informing immigration  that you want to transfer passports, from the old to the new  .

This letter is quite important .

When I did it at Nong Khai a few weeks ago, the whole process took about 40 minutes,

Just to add: I got a new passport in August, went to Chaengwattana asked for transfer of stamps and as everybody mentioned that informed me that I should travel with both passports. So of I go and at Suvarnabhumi I am asked why I did not transfer the stamp to the new passport. I had my embassy latter with me, so they worked on it. What they actually did was make a note in the new passport that the visa is in the old passport. I had to go in and out with both passports since then. Yesterday Chaengwattana again, they ask me for my embassy letter. I tell them that Suvarnabhumi immigration has the  letter, first they tell me without a letter no transfer. But when they took time to look at the stamps in the new passport the accepted it and I got the transfer smoothly.

• 4 weeks later...

in my old passport i have a 60 day tourist visa and extended it in phuket for 30 days. so i have there a handwritten thing and stamp on an other page. i got an emergency passport so my old one is non valid. they told

me to go to CW to transfere stamps. i was there they told me i need to go to phuket to transfer the stamps. do i really need to go to phuket and transfere the extension of stay or can i just show both passports when leaving the country and it will be fine? thank you for your help

2 hours ago, klaus12345 said:

in my old passport i have a 60 day tourist visa and extended it in phuket for 30 days. so i have there a handwritten thing and stamp on an other page. i got an emergency passport so my old one is non valid. they told

me to go to CW to transfere stamps. i was there they told me i need to go to phuket to transfer the stamps. do i really need to go to phuket and transfere the extension of stay or can i just show both passports when leaving the country and it will be fine? thank you for your help

Note that Emergency Passports are not always valid for entry to all SE Asia Countries.

Also you may have issues getting a new visa in an emergency passport, as for many countries, the emergency passport is only issued for a specific journey to get you back to your home country.

If you are leaving to return on an authorised Emergency Passport journey, then you should just be able to show the old and Emergency passports at Immigration on your departure.

thank you for your quick answer. i would like to travel in SEA till the end of march with that passport it has 1 year validity now i am concerned that it wont work out. there is no specific journey attached to it. do you think i can go to laos, vietnam, cambodia, myanmar, bali, nepal, goa i checked it on the internet they are saying they all accepting the emergency passport so i thought i am good.

but good news that i dont need to go to phuket to transfer the extension of stay. thanks.

They are exceptions as always with immigration and exit points.

I came along with a brand new Swiss passport, my old passport and the departure card and went straight to the exit booth at the bridge of Mukda Han Immigration to get the exit stamp. No way, I had to go just outside the compound to an office and they used my very first page  in my new passport completely and entered

my old passport number and its expiry date
my multiple Non-O-Visa
my latest entry date at Suvarnabhumi

(in a half page stamp)

and in a second smaller stamp

the Visa class Non-O
the latest entry date at Suvarnabhumi
the admitted until date
Signed …………….  (some scrible)

Only then I could go back to the exit booth, get my exit stamp and enter Savannakhet to get a new multiple Non-O-Visa. Happened to me early this yea

yes looks like exceptions are there. i tried to call the immigration division 1 bkk but couldnt get a real person to talk. then i called phuket immigration where i got my extension and talked to a officer 10 minutes he said they cannot transfer things to an emergency passport i have to show both passports at exit. and at the very end he said i need to contact my exit point and ask them what i should do but if they dont transfer it in phuket the only thing i can do is to try it at the exit point ... 

• 9 months later...

Hey guys a few questions:  

Can I send a representative (a friend) to transfer visa stamps from old passport to new passport?

What are the documents required for the transfer of stamps?

How long can I wait to transfer my stamps to new pp?

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Edited by davebodo

2 minutes ago, davebodo said:

Hey guys a few questions:  

Can I send a representative (a friend) to transfer visa stamps from old passport to new passport?

What are the documents required for the transfer of stamps?

How long can I wait to transfer my stamps to new pp?

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

I had had to sign a couple of papers so I am not convinced sending a third party will work. The answer will probably vary from immigration office to immigration office.

Embassy letter requesting the transfer of stamps, new and old passport.

As long as you like, there is no time limit. Probably coinciding it with 90 day reporting or annual extension makes sense.... whichever comes first. Traveling in the meantime is not an issue.

On 9/14/2017 at 1:05 PM, Jip99 said:

I had had to sign a couple of papers so I am not convinced sending a third party will work. The answer will probably vary from immigration office to immigration office.

Embassy letter requesting the transfer of stamps, new and old passport.

As long as you like, there is no time limit. Probably coinciding it with 90 day reporting or annual extension makes sense.... whichever comes first. Traveling in the meantime is not an issue.

Thank you. Visiting CW tomorrow. Decided to do it myself. 

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Jazzius said:

Can anyone tell me what is the latest on stamp-transfers from an old to a new passport? Better to go to Chaeng Wattana, or do it at the border?

I'll be exiting Thailand by train at Padang Besar, in about a month's time, at the end of a 60+30 day stay on an SETV.

You can do it at the border.