Multinational Superstore Chain, Selling Expired Food

surayu

Noticed lately a crowd around this stall at Tesco, with a few staff apparently promoting those items, 4 Bahts each instead of the usual 15 Bahts, wow, being aware of the thai business thinking i immediately started looking for the "damage" that those items would create, because if they are in a rush to give them away, it must to be something hideying there.

I started thinking and talking what i was thinking at the same time, in the interested crowd, to my other very nicely shaped friend, which as soon as i noticed the fault, understood, and we left, followed by some others which spotted where the trouble was.

I wasn't expecting this from a big chain as Tesco, i could understand the small mom & pops store don't giving a flick about their customers health just to profit a few pennies, but a multimillion $ store operation as Tesco, how disappointing!

post-73039-0-38291000-1334846214_thumb.j

post-73039-0-46193500-1334846291_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tesco in the uk and ireland does this ......food on the verge of expiring gets cheaper by the hour until the store closes

its still fine and edible though ,just some things can only be eaten on the day they are made

dried noodles like those would last years in storage anyway ,even if they were new i still wouldnt eat them

pure crap

Edited by wana

Thanks for the input, however i believe there is a substantial difference between selling something "on the verge" of his expiration date and selling something almost 5 months past the expiration date.....biggrin.png

They are probably playing with the fact that many thais would NOT realize that 2011 correspond to the local 2554, or maybe just hope they don't check the expiration date at all...

Edit: added "NOT"

Edited by surayu

The other people? None of our business.

No no no, sorry, i have a coscience and even if those people never had any sort of interaction with me before and probably will never have in the future, it really upset me that someone perhaps it's going to get sick because of a deceitfull business practice!

I don't think that Mr Clarke could walk out scott free if he tried these deals with the brits, irish or any other developed society, but they are doing it with the thais! what a shame

• Like 1

its not really all that dishonest ,

those noodles would last for years ,i have bought jars of coffee ,crates of beer and probably other stufff in the past that has a use by date but doesnt really change

dishonest would be changing the dates ,or hiding the expired date with a sticker and selling it for normal price

they are giving people a choice to buy a poduct for 4 thb thats perfectly fine to be eaten

differnt if it were fresh meat or dairy product that might cause a risk but these are as "wholesome" as they ever were .......

• Like 1

There are other multinational superstores in Thailand who practice this on a frequent base.

Tesco however seems to have no morals for discounted sales.The other day I saw, and this is actually not the first time I saw this happen, a plasma tv with a crushed screen sold with a 20% discount.Believe it didn't have a simple crack in it but looked as someone had attacked it withe a sledge hammer.

Do supermaket suppliers still "radiate " food ? I remember it was about preserving the food so it looked edible even though the nutritional value had rotted away , rotters . I like those freegan fellas that eat expired stuff supermarkets throw away , for free . The closest I ever got to that was eating old buggers out of the Mui Wo MacD's midden .

its not really all that dishonest ,

those noodles would last for years ,i have bought jars of coffee ,crates of beer and probably other stufff in the past that has a use by date but doesnt really change

dishonest would be changing the dates ,or hiding the expired date with a sticker and selling it for normal price

they are giving people a choice to buy a poduct for 4 thb thats perfectly fine to be eaten

differnt if it were fresh meat or dairy product that might cause a risk but these are as "wholesome" as they ever were .......

I didn't see noodles or even dried food mentioned by the OP.

Yes i can confirm the product was "noodles".

When i walk inside a "western owned" business, i am expecting that basic health rules would be respected, after all, if they have an expiry date, it must mean something, so, it would be the people in charge of making these sort of decision working in the company in question to make sure at least the very basic requirements are adhered to

Edit:

and also make sure that the managers implement these discounts BEFORE the expiration date, not having a 6 months nap and then wake up to start the sales, i am scared to think with what else they might come up with, not long ago i can recall another place(not Tesco) switching off all the fridges at night to save on the bills ! laugh.png

Edited by surayu

The selling of products close to or past the expiry date is not new to the supermarket industry.

The expiry date is only a guide as to when the product starts to deteriorate and loses quality and/or freshness and/or flavour. No products sold in the supermarket, assuming they have been stored and handled in the correct fashion, will magically turn rancid or sour at the stroke of midnight.

The expiry dates are usually government regulated. I am not certain how the measures for expiry are made in Thailand.

As some of you have pointed out, dried noodles for example will remain eatable for a long time after the expiry date.

Bread will remain eatable and great for toast up to a week after the expiry date, and with no ill effects.

Two classic examples are honey and water. Honey is the only food in the world that never "goes off", yet it has an expiry date of 6-12 months from manufacture. And water also has the same!

Some of these items that are cleared/sold at a discount are a bargain. Others are ok and some I would not touch. The choice is yours. No one is making you buy them. With so many people in the world starving and poor it would be shameful to throw all these products into the waste at midnight every night.

It is up to you!

Let's say, for example, that one day for some sort of weird coincidences, all the tv on sale get their back panels reduced to pieces, but the tv's are still working, with the inconvenience of having all their dangerous circuits exposed, yes, you can still say it's up to you to buy something like this, after all, it could even last more than another tv, but i would not appreciate to see those products up for sale to the general public, if managers could not do their jobs as they are supposed to, just get rid of them, the company will have an immediate financial gain just by doing this, obviously i hope that they will find a different way to deal with the problem, as maybe, give them a bit more training?

I could not agree with you more.

If everyone within the supermarket had done their jobs correctly these products would have been on the discounted clearnce table a month prior to the expiry date.

This is not a problem unique to Thailand. It happens in every country and not just in the supermarket industry. Product rotation is a problem in restaurants, hotels, cafes, pubs, corner stores and even within domestic households.

"First in - first out" and/or "last in - last out"

I could not agree with you more.

If everyone within the supermarket had done their jobs correctly these products would have been on the discounted clearnce table a month prior to the expiry date.

This is not a problem unique to Thailand. It happens in every country and not just in the supermarket industry. Product rotation is a problem in restaurants, hotels, cafes, pubs, corner stores and even within domestic households.

"First in - first out" and/or "last in - last out"

I have never in Thailand seen products on the clearance table earier the 4-5 days prior to their expiry date.

Come to think of it nor have I...

I just remembered something I read previously on this topic:

It varies by country and sometimes by product category what this date is called.

It can be an "expiry" date a "use by" date and in some product categories a "best before" date.

The final description "best before" in my opinion leaves the interpretation far to open, and can result in bad product being consumed.

Great for the seller but terrible for the consumer.

Hello

Is there a chance that date could be the manufacture date ?

It is possible, however it is against the law now to only have a manufactured date.

That's because different products have different "shelf lives" and it was very confusing for the consumer and retailer to calculate the expiry date.

The manufactured date was more useful for the factories to be able to track down a bad batch of products rather than be relevant information to the consumer.

It varies by country and sometimes by product category what this date is called.

It can be an "expiry" date a "use by" date and in some product categories a "best before" date.

The final description "best before" in my opinion leaves the interpretation far to open, and can result in bad product being consumed.

I know for a fact that products that are intended to be shipped to overseas markets get a an expiry date from the manufacturer that is different from products that are sold in the local market.Reason is that most products actually would be expired by the time they arrive at the overseas shops.

At the end it are both the same products.

I know for a fact that products that are intended to be shipped to overseas markets get a an expiry date from the manufacturer that is different from products that are sold in the local market.Reason is that most products actually would be expired by the time they arrive at the overseas shops.

At the end it are both the same products.

A crazy world! I am sure you are correct and that the extra "life" would help the manufacturer. On the odd occasion it may also be because the expiry laws differ country by country. Edited by ysamui

No other date was printed on the packages and according to the promoters, it was coming from China.....i felt much more safer as soon as i have been told this laugh.png

Are you aware of the supermarkets greatest trick?

They (more in days gone by) would put up a sign saying..."Limited stock - Only 2 per customer"

You would see mum, dad, kid 1, kid 2 and kid 3 all with 2 of these specials in the checkout queue.

The grocer was out the back unloading the next pallet load of stock ready to put into the store tongue.png

Among the various industries I have been involved with was food. A use by date HAS to be attached and this often does not reflect the 'real' date but is used to increase sales.

Yes it does.

Please excuse my ignorance.... How does it increase sales?

No,the greatest trick is what a store in Thailand which is associated with a french store does each and every time.They do a promotion on a certain product,but coincidental that product will be out of stock for the biggest part of the promotion time.The very next day after the promotion ends the shelves are full again.

I'm glad the OP posted on this subject, and pointed out what Tesco is doing... I wonder what Thailand's laws are about selling products past their listed expiration date???

But beyond what the OP is raising with Tesco, I've pretty regularly found REGULAR PRICE items at various of the farang supermarkets in BKK, seemingly the Central Markets more than the others, where packaged food items are on the shelf at regular prices AND expired sell-by dates.

It's one thing if a retailer wants to move expired products by deeply cutting the price. It's an entirely different thing when they're selling expired products at the regular price.

Because of encountering that again and again, I nowadays find myself having to check the expire by dates pretty much every time I pick up something from the shelf. I don't have any faith that the stores are doing any kind of reasonable job in clearing expired products off their shelves.

Of course, what's even worse is I recall past reports here where some retailers were deliberately re-dating expired meats and other fresh food products so that customers would think they were buying fresh products when in fact they were already expired. That's plain and clear fraud... not not carelessness in leaving expired products on the shelf.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

No,the greatest trick is what a store in Thailand which is associated with a french store does each and every time.They do a promotion on a certain product,but coincidental that product will be out of stock for the biggest part of the promotion time.The very next day after the promotion ends the shelves are full again.

Yes, very good. A "loss leader" that is never in stock!

They're instant noodles, they last for years so who cares if they are 'expired'. All the noodles I bought during the flood are all expired now, have been since December which is over 4 months now, I still eat them because they are perfectly fine. The expiry date on them is only 6 months after manufacture but these things really last for years if they are dry and unopened. I would totally buy these noodles for 4 baht. Lots of expiry dates are designed to get you to throw away good food and buy new stuff.

Among the various industries I have been involved with was food. A use by date HAS to be attached and this often does not reflect the 'real' date but is used to increase sales.

Yes it does.

Please excuse my ignorance.... How does it increase sales?

Lots of people will throw out any food that is even one day expired. Then they have to go buy more.