Reconciliation Meant To 'Absolve Thaksin'

webfact

Reconciliation meant to 'absolve Thaksin'

The Nation

30180327-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is preaching reconciliation, but that is just a smokescreen for whitewashing fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra and it will lead to deeper divisions, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

"The Democrats will not help keep Thaksin above Thai laws," he said.

The main opposition party had no objection to defusing the political conflict but the government was manipulating the work of the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand and the King Prajadhipok's Institute to rescue Thaksin, he said.

TRCT chairman Kanit na Nakorn had made it clear he would not push for the reconciliation law but the government was trying to mislead the public into believing that the TRCT backed the granting of a political pardon, he said.

Deputy PM Yongyuth Wichaidit had floated the idea of holding a public referendum on reconciliation, but how would the government phrase the question to the people.

If asked about support for reconciliation, then most people, including himself, would cast a "yes" vote. If the question was about absolving Thaksin as part of reconciliation, he believed people would reject such a notion.

A vote on Thaksin would probably be unconstitutional anyway because of the ban on holding a referendum on an individual issue. The government should strive for the greater good of the country and not move to put anyone above the rule of law, he added.

Deputy PM Yongyuth said the government was pressing forward to bring about reconciliation, which is a national and not an individual issue. He dismissed concern that the reconciliation debate was about Thaksin.

"I believe the general sentiment is in favour of reconciliation and the individual issue remains a main hurdle for building bridges but the government is not working for an individual," he said.

All sides should focus on forging understanding and acceptance instead of continuing to bicker over Thaksin, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-20

Deputy PM Yongyuth said

"I believe the general sentiment is in favour of reconciliation and the individual issue remains a main hurdle for building bridges but the government is not working for an individual."

Similarly, his removing the Land Department Director-General was removing a main hurdle for Yongyuth escaping prosecution in the Alpine land scam.

• Like 1

They keep saying that reconciliation is not about Thaksin, but will they still stand by that statement if the implementation of the reconciliation process eventually leads to nullification of his convictions and charges? Or will they admit that they were being insincere?

• Like 1

They keep saying that reconciliation is not about Thaksin, but will they still stand by that statement if the implementation of the reconciliation process eventually leads to nullification of his convictions and charges? Or will they admit that they were being insincere?

They won't care by that stage.

Deputy PM Yongyuth said

"I believe the general sentiment is in favour of reconciliation and the individual issue remains a main hurdle for building bridges but the government is not working for an individual."

Similarly, his removing the Land Department Director-General was removing a main hurdle for Yongyuth escaping prosecution in the Alpine land scam.

http://www.thaivisa....d/#entry5227846

It is not similar at all and therefore offtopic.gif

Sadly 'reconcilliation' is a word without meaning as is the word 'democracy'. Thaksin's crew pulled off a master stroke by fighting for 'democracy' even though he is an anti-democrat as his actions, when prime minister, informs us. Similarly the word 'reconciliation' is also a smokescreen and part of a tactic that is now recognisable as emanating from Thaksin's PR advisors. By creating these kinds of diversions the populace are led away from the real issues. Sadly, Thaksin actually appears to believe all this hype even though the whole thing is a PR con trick as was the movement for 'democracy'.

Edited by ianf
  • Like 2

Reconciliation certainly does have meaning, and in the current context only one - whitewash Thaksin.

The other side has gotten off scott free with their crimes, so let's just make that official too, and there you go, done and dusted, Thailand can get back to business as usual.

I'm sick of all the unrealistic spin fantasies about clean government, rule of law, public interest BS, everyone knows it's just a smokescreen coming from both sides, the real issue is stability, especially international perception of such, and hence the ability for corporations of all camps to be able to get on with growing the country's economy back to health.

And if he didn't have to micromanage everything via remote control from Dubai maybe the government could actually be effective in getting some things done.

It is a complete travesty for Thailand that the Dems continue with their paranoid and idiotic fantasy that amnesty is solely for Thaksin. The real result of this lunatic and absurd lie is that it completely blocks the reconciliation process for all of Thailand. Pathetic.

The failure and inability of Thai politicians to demonstrate any ability for compromise is appalling. All they accomplish is maintaining the Thai government's international reputation as a third-rate, podunk outfit. Good luck with that.

Sadly 'reconcilliation' is a word without meaning as is the word 'democracy'. Thaksin's crew pulled off a master stroke by fighting for 'democracy' even though he is an anti-democrat as his actions, when prime minister, informs us. Similarly the word 'reconciliation' is also a smokescreen and part of a tactic that is now recognisable as emanating from Thaksin's PR advisors. By creating these kinds of diversions the populace are led away from the real issues. Sadly, Thaksin actually appears to believe all this hype even though the whole thing is a PR con trick as was the movement for 'democracy'.

Ironically, it is neither the Dems, PTP, or any PM or MP that makes a mockery of democracy in Thailand. These government officials and representatives are only puppets and bit-part players in that regard. The real anti-democratic forces in Thailand lie elsewhere with others, especially the Army and its MO.

If there is a need for reconciliation then there is no need for democracy.No need for political parties with different policies. All happy friendly people governing together with only one vision. So let's reconcile, disband all parties and let the strongest rule. Any opposition to be dealt with firmly and quickly to avoid any conflict of opinion.wai.gif

Edited by buhi

Deputy PM Yongyuth said

It is not similar at all

Yes, as one of main proponents of returning Thaksin and all the while lying about it, Yongyuth's criminal behavior, conflict of interest, dereliction of duty, and malfeasance in office are not the topic.

Anyone with an active brain cell has known from day one that the whole PTP agenda has been about getting Big T off on all charges and allowing him to return and take control of the party officially. All of the smoke screens that people throw up about fairness ( no one else is ever tried for corruption why should he be) are just mudding the waters.

I guess I'm wondering about this and my question is: even if true - so what? What's so catastrophic about a popular politician other than he's not your favorite or in your favorite party.

How can anyone point to one politician in Thailand and say that one is more corrupt than others? Reconcilliation, yes....but the reforms needed elsewhere in Thai society are infinitely more important. Thaksin is merely a convenient distraction for what really needs to change.

Deputy PM Yongyuth said

It is not similar at all and therefore offtopic.gif

With out looking at the details I know for a fact that it is true by your vain attempt to deny it.

You red shirts are not exactly noted for honesty.

Loyalty Yes you are famous for that every day Thaksin counts himself lucky to have you.

It is a complete travesty for Thailand that the Dems continue with their paranoid and idiotic fantasy that amnesty is solely for Thaksin. The real result of this lunatic and absurd lie is that it completely blocks the reconciliation process for all of Thailand. Pathetic.

The failure and inability of Thai politicians to demonstrate any ability for compromise is appalling. All they accomplish is maintaining the Thai government's international reputation as a third-rate, podunk outfit. Good luck with that.

You didn't arrive in this country around the times of the (major) red shirt protests, by any chance? Circa 2009-2010 ?

If reconciliation isn't about Thaksin, why don't PT take the Dems up on their offer of absolving everybody other than Abhisit, Suthep and Thaksin?

• Like 1

Anyone with an active brain cell has known from day one that the whole PTP agenda has been about getting Big T off on all charges and allowing him to return and take control of the party officially. All of the smoke screens that people throw up about fairness ( no one else is ever tried for corruption why should he be) are just mudding the waters.

I guess I'm wondering about this and my question is: even if true - so what? What's so catastrophic about a popular politician other than he's not your favorite or in your favorite party.

How can anyone point to one politician in Thailand and say that one is more corrupt than others? Reconcilliation, yes....but the reforms needed elsewhere in Thai society are infinitely more important. Thaksin is merely a convenient distraction for what really needs to change.

No need to answer my previous question. It's now ridiculously obvious.

Reconciliation certainly does have meaning, and in the current context only one - whitewash Thaksin.

The other side has gotten off scott free with their crimes, so let's just make that official too, and there you go, done and dusted, Thailand can get back to business as usual.

I'm sick of all the unrealistic spin fantasies about clean government, rule of law, public interest BS, everyone knows it's just a smokescreen coming from both sides, the real issue is stability, especially international perception of such, and hence the ability for corporations of all camps to be able to get on with growing the country's economy back to health.

And if he didn't have to micromanage everything via remote control from Dubai maybe the government could actually be effective in getting some things done.

Maybe if he shut his mouth in Dubai the government could get some things done.

Ironically, it is neither the Dems, PTP, or any PM or MP that makes a mockery of democracy in Thailand. These government officials and representatives are only puppets and bit-part players in that regard. The real anti-democratic forces in Thailand lie elsewhere with others, especially the Army and its MO.

You forgot to mention the man in Dubai with the ability to call the cabinet during it's meetings and instruct them on what to do.

You forgot to mention the man in Dubai with the ability to call the cabinet during it's meetings and instruct them on what to do.

Nonsense.

With Skype....One would think that the evil mastermind has some high tech encrypted phone line or own satellite with laser beams....But no he uses the same Skype Hans in Germany uses when he calls his Tirak in Thailand.

I would have expect more style.....

This must be a troll. No one can be this ignorant and stupid.

This must be a troll. No one can be this ignorant and stupid.

Thank you for that enlightened feedback....

Here we go again, so predictable, I even predicted Bucholtz would be the first to comment and Phipidon to rise to the bait:D

I also expected the troll comment, but not so soon in the day.

Deputy PM Yongyuth said

It is not similar at all

Yes, as one of main proponents of returning Thaksin and all the while lying about it, Yongyuth's criminal behavior, conflict of interest, dereliction of duty, and malfeasance in office are not the topic.

As far as I can see Yonyuth was working as a caretaker permanent secretary of the Interior Ministry who signed the order not to revoke the deeds. He would be acting under the orders of the Interior Minister at the time, Sanoh Tienthong. How this makes Yonyuth a criminal in the Alpine Land Scandal I don't know?

Thai politics needs athorough clean up and ban all the crooks from Thaksin down. I know that won't leave many of the current shower but is that such a bad thing, and start afresh.

Well, we can all dream.

PTP wants to change the charter, maybe the add some real efficient laws against corruption and vote buying?

OK...I am only joking.....