Thaksin's Niece Guilty Of Filing False Asset Statement, Gets 5-Year Ban

webfact

am i the only one that finds the headline quite biased against a certain former PM?

I mean former PM's daughter banned for false declaration would be as accurate, but obviously not as attention grabbing...

It could also be "Current PM's niece" or "Yingluck's niece", but then you'd complain of Yingluck-bashing.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately she possesses her father's good looks,thus,she should have no trouble getting modelling assignments with Vogue magazine.

She'll need to have time to clear up the acne before the photo shoots

237938-1.jpg

Glad to see that you're still the (self appointed) role model when it comes to quality debate on this forum, Buchholz........................

Fortunately she possesses her father's good looks,thus,she should have no trouble getting modelling assignments with Vogue magazine.

237938-1.jpg

Glad to see that you're still the (self appointed) role model when it comes to quality debate on this forum, Buchholz........................

I'll let you make your own reply to your post.

It was a joke <deleted>, lighten up a little.

quote name='Crushdepth' timestamp='1334918645' post='5235764']

You'd think they would have learned by now. Nothing but contempt for the rule of law.

They have learned, for sure....What do you think how much they can put in their pocket while you are writing that.

What you think how many other cases could be avoided by some tea money in the last 6 month.

Well, I doubt anyone in the Shinawatra household is falling over too worried that a niece got hoofed out. However, as I wrote earlier, how can a person be still indebted to someone if the money they lent you was illegally gained?

Someone steals 100 baht from someones pocket, that someone lends me the money, the law comes along, nabs the thief and I return/have impounded my 100 baht. How on earth can I legally still owe the "someone/thief" 100 baht?

That is all semantics, but still as far as I can see a very odd legal interpretation.

She had it at the time she was running and elected and didn't DECLARE it.

Debts can be used to leverage a politician into doing an action by the debt holder.

So they must be declared.

She could lose the whole thing next day, but she STILL failed to file a proper declaration.

End of story.

Well then it is all extremely typical. It would be lovely to know if it shows up on anyone's tax return?????

As long as they get people for neglecting to fill out papers properly, (and the value is a mere 3MN USD), without any further criminal proceedings, it adds to the idea that this is all politically motivated. Still don't see if the assets have been sequestered by the state for wrongdoing on Bannaphots part, how she can still owe Bannaphot any money.

X drug dealer lends me money, said money is confiscated by law as being illegally obtained, and yet I still owe a thief his ill gotten gain? If he had sold me a TV, and the coppers took the TV off me, how can I owe the thief a TV?

If politically motivated means :

'Filing legally required and ACCURATE asset declarations upon entering office,

as an aid in preventing corruption by politicians to better the publics lives',

then yes it is 100% poo-litical.

Edited by animatic

I would suggest that the Shinawatras get some better legal advice in future. Seems that no one knows even how to fill out a simple form

In tonight's theme of banning.

Thaksin's main legal adviser, Noppadon, is also banned from politics in his own right.

Well whilst we're on the subject of banning and not wishing to be off topic:

Can anyone explain to me how Democrat MP for Surat Thani, Chumphon Kanchana, managed to avoid declaring an 191 Million Baht debt for 13 consecutive years before finally being sentenced to a suspended 2 month prison sentence and a 4000 baht fine.Oh and he was banned for 5 years.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/09/17/democrat-mp-banned-for-from-politics-over-false-asset-declaration/

Perhaps the eagle eyed former senator wasn't about at the time or could it be because he wasn't related to the Shiniwatras?

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin's niece banned from politics

Bangkok, April 20, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's top court has banned the lawmaker niece of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra from politics for five years for a false financial declaration, a court official said Friday.

The Supreme Court handed Chinnicha Wongsawat, a member of parliament for the ruling Puea Thai party, a two-month suspended prison term and a fine of 4,000 baht ($130) in its ruling Thursday. The party said it would appeal the verdict.

Chinnicha, the daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, was accused of failing to disclose a debt of 100 million baht ($3.2 million) when she became a lawmaker last year.

Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

His sister Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister last year after a resounding election victory by the ousted premier's political allies.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-20

She's Yingluck's sister?

Just read the header.

This case should now be used by all lawyers whose clients are facing a prison term for the first time.

No imprisonment as they 'have never been in prison'

I read it my friend. An asset statement is not a balance sheet. It is a statement of ASSETS! A debt is the creditor's asset!

Just read the header.

This case should now be used by all lawyers whose clients are facing a prison term for the first time.

No imprisonment as they 'have never been in prison'

I read it my friend. An asset statement is not a balance sheet. It is a statement of ASSETS! A debt is the creditor's asset!

no you are wrong a statement of assets is more like a balance sheet.

assets and debts need to be told.

Bangkok, April 20, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's top court has banned the lawmaker niece of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra from politics for five years for a false financial declaration, a court official said Friday.

The Supreme Court handed Chinnicha Wongsawat, a member of parliament for the ruling Puea Thai party, a two-month suspended prison term and a fine of 4,000 baht ($130) in its ruling Thursday. The party said it would appeal the verdict.

Chinnicha, the daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, was accused of failing to disclose a debt of 100 million baht ($3.2 million) when she became a lawmaker last year.

Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison sentence for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

His sister Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister last year after a resounding election victory by the ousted premier's political allies.

Mass rallies by Thaksin's supporters in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

afplogo.jpg

She's Yingluck's sister?

Nope, then she would be another sister of Thaksin, she's the daughter of an in-law.

Please people take some time to read the article.......

She failed to declare a DEBT not an ASSET...

I'm hoping you all understand the difference....

Nevertheless it was a lie something that the Taksin's seem to becomming famous for.....

You´r right KKK it´s 9+months and the Thai people is not yet millionaires. Thaksin promised 6 months. Liar!!!

afplogo.jpg

She's Yingluck's sister?

Nope, then she would be another sister of Thaksin, she's the daughter of an in-law.

Don't use the word law in this context.

Wow, this family is right up there with..................?????????????? Sorry but I cannot think of another family to compare to this one. Any suggestions ?

The Ewings in Dallas!

No way, compared with "the Shinawatras" the Ewings were Angels.

I would suggest that the Shinawatras get some better legal advice in future. Seems that no one knows even how to fill out a simple form

In tonight's theme of banning.

Thaksin's main legal adviser, Noppadon, is also banned from politics in his own right.

Well whilst we're on the subject of banning and not wishing to be off topic:

Can anyone explain to me how Democrat MP for Surat Thani, Chumphon Kanchana, managed to avoid declaring an 191 Million Baht debt for 13 consecutive years before finally being sentenced to a suspended 2 month prison sentence and a 4000 baht fine.Oh and he was banned for 5 years.

http://www.pattayada...et-declaration/

Perhaps the eagle eyed former senator wasn't about at the time or could it be because he wasn't related to the Shiniwatras?

The Shinawatras are most certainly not the only ones who can't be trusted in Thai politics but there do seem to be an awful lot of them.

Thaksin niece disqualified, banned from politics for filing false statement

image_20120420155831CEF95F07-C0C4-A0C6-3B52977921D50DAC.jpg

Congratulations, Chinnicha !!clap2.gif

You're truly unique in the annals of Thai history.

Your family is the first family to ever have the daughter (yourself),

the mother,

Privacy5633.jpg

and the father,

220px-Somchai_Wongsawat_15112008.jpg

to all be simultaneously banned from politics.

Well Done!

To solidify your position in Thai history, we'll throw in your uncle as an extra member of your banned from politics clan.

pri.png

It most be from "Pigs in space"

• Like 1

237938-1.jpg

It really took some time for the TV "Thaksinistas" and "Red Shirtinistas" to respond on this tread.

Good on you PPD.

Not sent to prison as God forbid we don't want to start a precedent of the political elite having to do jail time but we do want to remove Pheua Thai from political power so a suspended jail term and removal of political rights for 5 years fits the bill nicely.

It's make-it-up as you go along law courts. These gel well with make-it-up as you go along legislative and a make-it-up as you go along executive.

Pheu Thai's Chinnicha loses House seat over false asset statement

The Nation

30180418-01_big.jpg

Chinnicha

BANGKOK: -- Chinnicha Wongsawat has been stripped of her status as a Pheu Thai Party MP for Chiang Mai and faces a five-year ban from holding office after she was found guilty of filing a false asset statement.

Chinnicha, the daughter of former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and niece of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, was fined Bt4,000, although as a first-time offender her jail term was suspended for one year.

Her case came to light in connection with the Asset Examination Committee (AEC)'s investigation into the business empire of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The AEC froze bank accounts in Chinnicha's name worth Bt6.8 million and uncovered seven loan transactions worth a total of Bt100 million with Bhanapot Damapong, an in-law of Thaksin's.

Picking up on the AEC investigation, the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) found that Chinnicha had failed to report her assets and liabilities linked to Thaksin's business empire.

Although Chinnicha subsequently amended her asset statement, she did so after the discovery of her ties to the business empire became public knowledge.

The NACC petitioned the Supreme Court to launch a judicial review into the case.

The high court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders on Thursday handed down a guilty verdict, but cited Chinnicha's lack of a prior record as grounds for leniency.

In a separate development, the Constitution Court yesterday threw out two cases involving Democrat and Pheu Thai MPs charged with meddling in the distribution of flood-relief supplies.

The high court cited a lack of incriminating evidence in dropping the charges.

In the first case, Pheu Thai MPs contended that Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and MP Warong Dechgitvigrom had coerced local authorities into allocating government-issued relief supplies to the two politicians for distribution to flood victims in Phitsanulok.

The high court ruled there was no evidence of coercion. Furthermore, the two were duty-bound to address the plight of the people in the face of the flooding, the verdict said.

In the second case, the Democrats charged that Justice Minister Pracha Promnok and six Pheu Thai MPs had exceeded their mandate while allocating relief supplies.

The court said the urgent need to assist flood victims justified the accused taking part in the relief operations.

"There was no evidence to suggest that the accused gained personally from the relief supplies," the verdict said.

The two cases were a fallout from last year's censure debate on flood-control efforts. Coalition and Opposition lawmakers blamed each other for the botched effort.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-21

"The court initially sentenced Chinnicha to two months in jail but suspended the jail term for a year on the grounds that she has never been in prison. She was also fined Bt4,000"

By the same logic, I can commit at least one crime and just get a slap on the wrist and a meaningless fine. Right, I'm off to rob a bank, who's with me?!?!

She gets admonished and only a THB 4,000 fine because she has never been to jail. Under this sort of logic, no-one is ever going to go to jail...!!

Interesting photos and choice of hairstyles...I guess its true, every thai family has one that is as they say in Hawaii.."da kine". Chinnichachilla and her mother being banned from politics is no big deal, surely the clan can find another puppet among them to fill the vacancies left in the wake of the bannings. More urgently necessary would be a banning by the Ministry of Public Health of Double Chin-nicha and Cow-apha from entering any all-you-can-eat buffets before they eat themselves to death.