Why Does Toasted Sandwich Taste So dam_n Great

i know there are alot of bashing around, but i had just gulped down a toasted sandwich again from 7/11.

why does a toasted ham and cheese sandwich taste so dam great? i should have bought 2 instead of 1.

why does a my home plain ham and cheese sandwich taste like crap, arent they the same thing? those lame non pressing toaster lying in my kitchen does nothing but shit to my bread.

oh dam_n im so getting a toaster press from tesco in the evening right after i wake up.

seriously its like reaching climax. the feeling of cheese oozing and bursting out in flavors in every bite with a slightly burnt taste at the corners, wow

There is another thread on TV on the "great" food at 7-11. I think there are a hell of a lot of people out there that need to get out more. I have had food at 7-11 on the way to work with a hangover and I can state unequivocally that it is fuel only. Very little taste.

I eat toasted cheese sandwiches at 7-11 but they just don't compare to a homemade one. Cooked in a pan with butter on each slice, real ham (not watery blocks from 7-11), and real cheese.

Lightly toast two slices of bread and then apply a liberal smear of butter. Grate some strong, hard cheese and sprinkle to a depth of about a quarter of an inch, Then place several peeled prawns on top of the cheese and place in the roaster oven for 2 minutes. No sauce required.

we love the 7/11 toasted sangers......but we improvise.

The ham and cheese are very tasty....but the staff rarely cook them to nice toasty brown if left to do it themselves...we supervise and keep repeating not yet until crunchy around the edges and nice n brown elsewhere.

We also go for the 'sausage' sandwiches as they are equally as good....but we rip it apart, take it over to the hotdog stand...add onion and tomato sauce.....then take it to the toaster station....mmmmmmmm

I suggest trying the tuna sandwiches, though they often seem to be sold out. I'd also suggest the 'croissant' sandwiches, of which the bread is more like crumbly pastry. Those who say that 7/11 sandwiches have no taste have been eating too much spicy food.

I will admit that 7/11 can provide something, reasonably, tasty to fill a gap.

However, that is where any praise, for their product ends.

More often than not:

1) THe "cheese" has no taste.

2) The "toast" is (typical) Thai toast - Anything more than a white colour is, considered to be burnt!!

7/11, to me, are a bit like Mcdonalds, KFC etc., without the expense.

They provide edible food at sensible prices, for the quallity they deliver.

No more, no less!

we love the 7/11 toasted sangers......but we improvise.

The ham and cheese are very tasty....but the staff rarely cook them to nice toasty brown if left to do it themselves...we supervise and keep repeating not yet until crunchy around the edges and nice n brown elsewhere.

We also go for the 'sausage' sandwiches as they are equally as good....but we rip it apart, take it over to the hotdog stand...add onion and tomato sauce.....then take it to the toaster station....mmmmmmmm

That's the way Sam ....toastie a la carte' thumbsup.gif

7-11's got nothing on me. I cured a pork shoulder a few weeks ago. Then cooked it up yesterday with some string beans. Today's leftover ham went into a sandwich. Two pieces of thick white bread laying in a shallow pool of sizzling butter on my cast iron skillet until they're golden brown. Then a slice of smoked Edam (for which I paid dearly at Big C), a layer of iceberg lettuce and thinly sliced beefsteak tomato, finally a schmear of mayo (real mayo, none of that sickly sweet salad cream crap) and I was in heaven.

It was better than sex.

what is wrong in investing in a toaster? just pop a couple of slices of wheat bread in the toaster then prepare what you want in the skillet and with lots of mayo and mustard and it tastes good every time!

fried ham sarny...scrambled egg sarny...bacon sarny...slim brown skinned lady market vendor in splendid backside jeans meat ball sarny and the list goes on forever...but I stop with beans on toast for obvious reasons...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I have one of those sandwich-toaster-press "machines" - quite versatile if you're even slightly creative in the kitchen.

Examples:

Mini Pizza Triangles (rotate the sandwich 90 degrees halfway through cooking to make a cross-cut, and only use a wee bit of sauce or it may become soggy)

Chicken Broccoli & Cheese Pocket (can use cream cheese, cheddar, or whatever - precook chicken)

Tuna Melt (sometimes I make it spicy Cajun)

Mini Taco Triangles (spicy taco meat and cheese - same method as the pizza triangles. Goes great with beer)

Apple Pie Pockets (basic apple filling (or any other) - butter the outside of the bread; not as nice as puff pastry, but a LOT easier, and it doesn't suck. I prefer to make my own apple filling so I can control how wet it is...again, you dont want too wet. Also more likely to become soggy if using "fish bread" - that texture-less white bread sold ubiquitously.)

Breakfast Pocket (I find it best just to make an egg scramble with whatever you like, such as sausage, bacon, bell pepper, etc., and then put cheese slices to line the inside of the bread - that helps keep it from getting soggy. I know, "Why not just eat it normally?" Well, I get busy sometimes...I make a bunch and freeze them for a quick microwave meal on the go.)

what is wrong in investing in a toaster? just pop a couple of slices of wheat bread in the toaster then prepare what you want in the skillet and with lots of mayo and mustard and it tastes good every time!

Why get two things dirty when you can do everything in the skillet? Besides the toaster tends to dry the bread. Grilled in a skillet? Buttery golden brown! Making a Reuben in a toaster would be a disaster, although better than no Reuben at all.

You can have my cast iron skillet when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Might do that....have not found a anvil yet but.

How many tinnies do you need to recycle to make a pan ??

Used to be about 400, a good weeks worth at least.

Can't be done anymore alas, the iron content in aluminium cans being very low..

where did you get your cast iron thingy ??

I think you should have a crack at forging you own from scratch.

And post pictures..

easier to get in touch with raro. He had good ones for sale. As he is a mod I would hate him to hit me over the head with it. The bruise would make welts from sbk's whip look like fun.

Edited by harrry

where did you get your cast iron thingy ??

I think you should have a crack at forging you own from scratch.

And post pictures..

I hate to split hairs here... but will anyway smile.png

Cast Iron is....well.... cast.

... not forged.

Really, are you sure?

Backyard blast furnace, even better!

Can't see what could possibly go wrong with that..