You Know It'S Hot In Thailand When...

connda

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know its hot in thailand ...When the cheap charlies buy two bottles of Leo and sit out side the 7/11 all day

Just because some Thais are poor it is no reason to make fun of them. Maybe all they can afford is one or 2 bottles between the 3 or 4 of them.

Just because you are a westerner with more money doesn't give you the right to insult Thais who don't have any.

Perhaps you should consider moving on to a different country.

Maybe he was referring to westerners in the first place?

you know its hot in thailand ...When the cheap charlies buy two bottles of Leo and sit out side the 7/11 all day

Just because some Thais are poor it is no reason to make fun of them. Maybe all they can afford is one or 2 bottles between the 3 or 4 of them.

Just because you are a westerner with more money doesn't give you the right to insult Thais who don't have any.

Misunderstandings

• Like 1

You know its REALLY hot when you get brainless responses such as this one....Who mentioned Thai's as being the "cheap Charlies" ?

Edited by supaprik

WOW that one hit a nerve...is it because 1. you drink Leo 2. or are partial to drinking beer outside 7/11 ?

"Why dont I leave ?.....after 1300 odd posts sure you come up with something more orginal than that...pretty disappointing retort

• Like 1

WOW that one hit a nerve...is it because 1. you drink Leo 2. or are partial to drinking beer outside 7/11 ?

"Why dont I leave ?.....after 1300 odd posts sure you come up with something more orginal than that...pretty disappointing retort

Well, if Thai people sitting outside 7-11's drinking beer bothers you I would suggest moving, as its pretty common. In western countries there are enforced laws against loitering. Perhaps that might be preferable to you.

When its particularly warm, I prefer to drink my Leo in the shop, and get the benefit of the aircon

Of course, the staff normally get a bit arsey, so I stand just outside in front of the doorway to get a cool draft on my withers.

SC

• Like 2

Then is he saying it is ok for Thais to sit outside 7-11's and drink beer, even share one among 4 people, but if a westerner does it (even has a bottle of his own) then there is something wrong with that?

I find that even more insulting as it seems to insinuate that westerners are "above" that and should be held to a different standard than "inferior" Thais.

Have some respect for Thailand and its people, please!

Well, if Thai people sitting outside 7-11's drinking beer bothers you I would suggest moving, as its pretty common. In western countries there are enforced laws against loitering. Perhaps that might be preferable to you.

Why do you jump to the conclusion that we're Thai, just because we sit in the street drinking Leo outside 7-11 all day?

I think you are in thrall to your racist stereotypes, so you are, but.

SC

Please direct me to anything I have written which suggested I was talking about Thai's ?....for someone who has supposed to have lived in the country and is at one with with their Thainess you would know in theThai context, the term "Cheap Charlie" actually refers to a specific demographic of Farang.. so why all the hostility ? Is it too hot outside 7/11 today for you to sit an have a Leo ?

• Like 1

You think someone would find other people's drinking habits so bothersome that they'd up-sticks and re-locate to another country because of it??? huh.pngcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Then is he saying it is ok for Thais to sit outside 7-11's and drink beer, even share one among 4 people, but if a westerner does it (even has a bottle of his own) then there is something wrong with that?

I find that even more insulting as it seems to insinuate that westerners are "above" that and should be held to a different standard than "inferior" Thais.

Have some respect for Thailand and its people, please!

From what I can make out he never mentioned Thais and also didnt actually say there was anything wrong with sitting outside 7-11. Just that they would do it because it is hot. And referring to them as cheap charlies hardly holds them in a higher standard than Thais.

I'm struggling to convince myself that you are not trolling here. I find it impossible to believe that someone would jump to an incorrect conclusion like you have and then come up with these wild and baseless accusations.

• Like 1

Please direct me to anything I have written which suggested I was talking about Thai's ?....for someone who has supposed to have lived in the country and is at one with with their Thainess you would know in theThai context, the term "Cheap Charlie" actually refers to a specific demographic of Farang.. so why all the hostility ? Is it too hot outside 7/11 today for you to sit an have a Leo ?

Being an egalitarian, I'm not accustomed to these racist terms (cheap charlie referring to ones race etc)

I was under the impression that a cheap charlie was a tightwad, didn't know it referred only to Caucasians.

I commonly see Thais drinking beer outside 7-11.

Again I ask, are you saying it's ok for Thais to drink outside 7-11's, but when white people do then you are justified in ridiculing them?

Being an egalitarian, I'm not accustomed to these racist terms (cheap charlie referring to ones race etc)

I was under the impression that a cheap charlie was a tightwad, didn't know it referred only to Caucasians.

Again I ask, are you saying it's ok for Thais to drink outside 7-11's, but when white people do then you are justified in ridiculing them?

I think any international jet-setter would look a bit second-rate, sitting drinking Leo outside 7-11, rather than sipping champagne at the Mandarin with the rest of us.

I've never seen Thais drinking outside 7-11, but then I prefer to turn a blind eye to the short-comings of others, rather than being offended by them.

I'm guessing that you are like a precision Swiss watch, and don't need winding up, but I'll post this anyway, just in case

SC

• Like 1

I think any international jet-setter would look a bit second-rate, sitting drinking Leo outside 7-11, rather than sipping champagne at the Mandarin with the rest of us.

I've never seen Thais drinking outside 7-11, but then I prefer to turn a blind eye to the short-comings of others, rather than being offended by them.

I'm guessing that you are like a precision Swiss watch, and don't need winding up, but I'll post this anyway, just in case

SC

Quite interesting how people here view things; if you make posts pointing out behavior of people and then attribute it to their race, don't be surprised when people are taken aback.

Amazing

..you buy groceries including meltable items such as chocolate and butter from the supermarket, stick it in your bike box, and find that short journey really wasnt short enough. Next time silly me is going to be buying some ice at the same time.

Its hot in Thailand when my peasant neighbours sleep outside of their wooden houses.

Miss my old apartments big balcony, because i used to enjoy just that whenever it was really hot. Balcony camping. Had electric sockets out there too, so could plug in a fan if needed. Loved it. (Yes, i had aircon, just that i prefer natural air).

• Like 1

Its racist to assume all westerners are caucasians.

Miss my old apartments big balcony, because i used to enjoy just that whenever it was really hot. Balcony camping. Had electric sockets out there too, so could plug in a fan if needed. Loved it. (Yes, i had aircon, just that i prefer natural air).

No issue with mosquitoes?

Hey Dantilly, i bought mosquito netting and made it the right size for the balcony. Was perfect. Could dine out there too. Was really nice when i plugged in a soft lamp. Probably spent more time out there than inside. If you have a good balcony, fix up a mosquito net, its worth it.

You beat me to it...

Cant wait for his next retort....suppose next he will accuse me of being a beerist as I am discriminating against Leo drinkers

You beat me to it...

Cant wait for his next retort....suppose next he will accuse me of being a beerist as I am discriminating against Leo drinkers

To be honest I thought you were being discriminatory against people called Charles. Why can't the term be Cheap Cedrics or Cheap Cliffords? Hell why not spray the whole barrel and call them Cheap Caucasians.

• Like 1

Just as an aside, regarding "Cheap Charlie" comments that go on here (in Thailand). For me there is a difference between being "cheap" and being "frugal". Im careful with money, im not cheap, im careful... and i admire the quality in others.

As another aside, i actually like the taste of Leo. Much much more than Heineken. Had a cold leo last night, with lots of ice, and watched The Italian Job (the original with Michael Caine).

But this is all very much offtopic.gifsorry.gifph34r.png (is using too many smiley emotions and enjoying it a sign of too much heat? ermm.gifunsure.pnghuh.pngpassifier.gifmellow.png )

• Like 1

I wouldn't be worried about mosquitoes, i'd be worried about rain with electric sockets on the balcony.