Apparent Ed Visa Renewal Change

I spoke to a friend of mine who is on an ED visa at a Bangkok Thai language school. Apparently, he does not go very often and has blown off the bi monthly tests. Apparently most people at the school do the same. Over a beer today he mentioned that he got an email warning from his school about an apparent change in policy at the immigration department for the 90 day renewal. I asked him to forward me the email as he does not use Thai Visa and I figured a lot of members might want to keep this in mind and bring the attendance sheet with them.

Name of school redacted, I am not sure about TV policy on naming companies and do not wish to have problems.

Dear all 1-year ED Visa students,

Please be informed that the Immigration Office will no longer extend your 90-day ED visa unless you have class attendance or test results provided by LX. This is the very important requirement officially announced by the Immigration Office. Therefore, you should regularly attend the class and take the test.

Regards,

Announcement:

Thai immigration officials have just announced that in order to renew any visa, all foreigners will be required jump through a flaming ring of fire, over a tank of sharks, while riding a motorcycle backwards!

Subject to satisfactory approval from the respective immigration officer.

Announcement:

Thai immigration officials have just announced that in order to renew any visa, all foreigners will be required jump through a flaming ring of fire, over a tank of sharks, while riding a motorcycle backwards!

Honestly, it is not that unreasonable. It was only a matter of time, if this is across the board that is. If you have an visa to engage in something you should probably have to prove you go? I do not know, I guess switch to a Muay thai school...

Announcement:

Cant really see the problem here, A person has been granted a visa on the grounds of getting an education and Immigration want to see if you complying with the requirements of being issued the visa...ie are you being educated ?

Not unreasonable at all. The same thing happened in Japan several years ago. Many people came on a language education visa, skipped class and faded into the woodwork. Basically they came, got under the table jobs and rarely if ever attended class. The government cracked down and now a minimum attendance is required. It was a nice littler earner for many, many schools.

I wonder how much money the government would save if they did not insist upon 90 day renewal and just decided "well, they applied for a visa for a year, we issued it, so see you next year; stay safe smile.png " I might try and sell them a time and motion study for their departments on the premise that the officialdom would have the same money coming in (kickbacks, that is) but with less avenues and people to take them, the boys at the top could get more. They get richer; we have an easier life. Win all round I say.

Edited by Pseudolus

I wonder how much money the government would save if they did not insist upon 90 day renewal and just decided "well, they applied for a visa for a year, we issued it, so see you next year; stay safe" I might try and sell them a time and motion study for their departments on the premise that the officialdom would have the same money coming in (kickbacks, that is) but with less avenues and people to take them, the boys at the top could get more. They get richer; we have an easier life. Win all round I say.

You are sadly deluded to think that rationality and efficiency are even considered as valid concepts here, much less goals to strive for, least of all by any organization connected to the government.

In fact it's the complete opposite - the primary goal of a Ministry is jobs for the boys, and raising revenue through its regulations is the means to that end, as well as of course the sideline in tea money, which believe me gets passed upstream quite efficiently thank you. Thus the more work created the better and no consideration at all given to the convenience of foreigners (as is most likely the case back home BTW).

In fact making things inconvenient and expensive has the intended side effect of helping to keep out the real riffraff, and making sure we all understand we're only temporary guests here subject to removal at their whim at any time, and gives the Thai population the impression they're keeping close tabs on us obviously dangerous degenerates.

Its not unreasonable, but if I was on an ED visa, I would not like it! Being on retirement extensions, I have to comply with the money seasoning requirements, which BTW, I consider unreasonable especially for people living here for many years.

• 2 months later...

Can you please link me to this official announcement, in Thai or English> Thank you. I don't know about the 90 day Ed visa referenced but My one year ED visa requires notification of staying in Thailand every 90 days.

macjet