Monthly Cost Of Living In Phuket

petercallen

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>A person who has a child at the BIS told me he paid $6000 a year or 15500 baht a month

Unfortunately, your friend either had a child there years ago, or he's way off base on the above.

For Y1 and above, school is near to 400K plus 100K "endowment fee"

http://www.bisphuket...es2011-2012.pdf

Two of my friends have their kids in the final year at BIS costs are almost 600,000 baht/year for last their last 2 years, ( lunches and required trips included) if they don't need the bus ( which adds another 50,000)

PLUS the 140,000, refundable endowment and 100,000 NON refundable deposit

Edited by phuketrichard

>>A person who has a child at the BIS told me he paid $6000 a year or 15500 baht a month

Unfortunately, your friend either had a child there years ago, or he's way off base on the above.

Two of my friends have their kids in the final year at BIS costs are almost 600,000 baht/year for last their last 2 years, ( lunches and required trips included) if they don't need the bus ( which adds another 50,000)

Fair enough, i only know what i was told not having children myself

I also know there are a lot more than just school expenses with children

what a rip off !!

what a rip off !!

I agree approx $20,000 to sent a child to school for one year plus other costs

what a rip off !!

I agree approx $20,000 to sent a child to school for one year plus other costs

For many parents at the school I expect that they don't see spending that sort of money as being a rip off but actually a good investment in their kids future. 20k a year is pretty insignificant for some people nowadays...

Well what to say the jury has spoken about the cost of living and our existence on Phuket, but I allow me, “There is a time for everything in life” also in Phuket.

Deep, very deep.

So deep in fact, that a thicko like me doesn't have the first idea what you are talking about.

Any cerebral types out there that can translate?

Well what to say the jury has spoken about the cost of living and our existence on Phuket, but I allow me, “There is a time for everything in life” also in Phuket.

Deep, very deep.

So deep in fact, that a thicko like me doesn't have the first idea what you are talking about.

time for his meds ....<deleted> ..got me .....

Deep, very deep.

I'll take a stab at it.

"The smoker you drink, the player you get".

Deep, very deep.

Deep, can it be your inability to go beyond your own lifestyle!

A couple at age 40 with children wherever in the world normally have a higher cost of living than a couple past the midlife crisis age and done with children and mortgages.

Just as a 25-40year old just dumped in Phuket probably will (not always) have a different view on what is attractive here and different needs than someone which comes here 20 years ago.

So it is a time for everything in life.

Here's a few expenses to think about. 2 kids int'l school, that's minimum 700K/yr. How about insurance for the cars, house and health insurance for the family? Petrol on taking kids to and from school 5 days/week? Between these three items above that's close to 1 million baht right there. Throw in auto repair, home repair, electric, cable, food, eating out, going out, etc. and you're looking at a minimum of 120K/mo living an ordinary lifestyle.

120k!! I have a great life style on 40k per month, I have 2 small bikes, one big bike, one car, rent a nice house, gf and her daughter, we want for nothing!!

Same here except it does not cost us as much as you, we pay no rent

No children and no bars but have everything we want when we want it

Here's a few expenses to think about. 2 kids int'l school, that's minimum 700K/yr. How about insurance for the cars, house and health insurance for the family? Petrol on taking kids to and from school 5 days/week? Between these three items above that's close to 1 million baht right there. Throw in auto repair, home repair, electric, cable, food, eating out, going out, etc. and you're looking at a minimum of 120K/mo living an ordinary lifestyle.

120k!! I have a great life style on 40k per month, I have 2 small bikes, one big bike, one car, rent a nice house, gf and her daughter, we want for nothing!!

Again it all depends on how much money you have the sort of person you are and what lifestyle you prefer.

Does this mean that the cheap-skates win this "debate" and the spend-thrifts lose?

Does this mean that the cheap-skates win this "debate" and the spend-thrifts lose?

There are no winners or losers just sensible people who must live on a budget, even the wealthy must budget it's just a completely different amount.

There are no winners or losers just sensible people who must live on a budget, even the wealthy must budget it's just a completely different amount.

The losers are the ones that don't budget

• Like 1

No it means we enjoy life without wasting money and never run out of money

Not like some people who claim they could spend 1M baht a month if they had it

• Like 1

I did not include cars, we have a new one on order, i i did not include hollidays

our last one in december cost approx $16700 for 2 weeks i am talking about

everyday living expenses, and i am sure a lot of the anonomus readers who

follow this forum would like to know what they are

Spell check is still not working for me on this forum, when i try the screne just

goes blank

The everyday living expenses you mention is a lie to yourself. As you forget all the expensive costs and purchases. You do not have an insurance, right? This must be included, or medical visits and medicaments. You already stated that you had an expensive holiday, divide all holidays and trips by 12 and add it to the monthly costs. Motorbike purchases, cars, even your house somehow must be included. I am sure you never ever buy cloth, you never ever buy a cell phone or a laptop, all these costs must be included in the monthly costs. Ok maybe you buy a laptop only every 3 years so divide it by 36 but include it. When people say they live on every day expenses as low as 30k but when they add up all the additional costs and come out at 80-100k then this is wrong as people who really really only have that small amount may think they can live on that amount, which is not true.

So for me only the really spent amount is what counts.

Edited by yannic

I did not include cars, we have a new one on order, i i did not include hollidays

Spell check is still not working for me on this forum, when i try the screne just

goes blank

The everyday living expenses you mention is a lie to yourself. As you forget all the expensive costs and purchases. You do not have an insurance, right? This must be included, or medical visits and medicaments. You already stated that you had an expensive holiday, divide all holidays and trips by 12 and add it to the monthly costs. Motorbike purchases, cars, even your house somehow must be included. I am sure you never ever buy cloth, you never ever buy a cell phone or a laptop, all these costs must be included in the monthly costs. Ok maybe you buy a laptop only every 3 years so divide it by 36 but include it. When people say they live on every day expenses as low as 30k but when they add up all the additional costs and come out at 80-100k then this is wrong as people who really really only have that small amount may think they can live on that amount, which is not true.

I include Insurance, cell phone is 4 years old cost 2600 baht and still works well

I include my wifes and my own medical expenses

Holidays are what i chose to have and are not part of my average monthly cost of

living

If you read my OP you will see what i consider monthly living expenses are and what

i do not include

Why not include the purchasing of things like a house, pay a sensible price you then

do not pay rent and the property gains in value, should i take the capitol gains

away from my average monthly cost of living, the answer is no

goes blank

I include Insurance, cell phone is 4 years old cost 2600 baht and still works well

Holidays are what i chose to have and are not part of my average monthly cost of

living

If you read my OP you will see what i consider monthly living expenses are and what

i do not include

Why not include the purchasing of things like a house, pay a sensible price you then

do not pay rent and the property gains in value, should i take the capitol gains

Holidays or trips to your homecountry or trips in Thailand are costs you have, you don't include it your monthly costs are not accurate. Ok you have a big advantage, no kids and you have your own house. But still costs of purchases of cloth and other things need to be included.

Where? I'd love to see that.

I'll buy you a bottle of Bundaberg if you can show me that post.

or.....could it be another mis-read post by you?

Edited by KarenBravo

goes blank

living

i do not include

Holidays or trips to your homecountry or trips in Thailand are costs you have, you don't include it your monthly costs are not accurate. Ok you have a big advantage, no kids and you have your own house. But still costs of purchases of cloth and other things need to be included.

I include clothes, and our last holiday was not to my home country just somewhere we wanted to go to

It did not affect the standard of living we have, its a trip we did once and once only, should i inlcude

the cost of the holiday as a added monthly expense divided over the rest of my life

If I had 1m a month I am quite sure I could spend it!!

Post 18 If i had a bunch of money i would spend a million a month

PC, nice to meet you. Ive decided to shift in with you for a month and see firsthand how the heck you can live on 30K Baht a month. Im in BKK and have given up on budgeting on a monthly basis. I am here as expat and earn an indecent salary with tax benefits but would dearly love to get some discipline into my living costs...

My rent is 55K per month Cable electricity and a water bill that defies any logic, rhyme or reason probably takes that to 60K. I give my Gf about 20K every month and send home for the children about 110K a month as well.

Try and bank/ save money for rainy day but cannot seem to get food/ insurances/ drinks and social life below 100K per month.

So welcome to your new roomy for a while....

Whats your address. will be there Saturday.... cheers

Oh my god are you crazy or just have to much money that you don't care, you give your gf 20k per month!! crazy!! I give my gf nothing and she is still with me after 3yrs, yes I have paid for a new house for her family which was 500k but they will get nothing else!! we live a great life and want for nothing!! you people with so much money are cannon fodder for the Thai girls!!

Yes probably a case that i don't care that much re money, never have never will . Money always seems to come in but probably i would not be buying the gf family a house.. actually prefer to buy assets that i can use or won fully. Ive had same gf for two years and out if that 20K she runs the house and buys clothes and stuff so not excessive in my book.

Each to their own here of course...

Rent 3500bath Food 15000bath Nights out 5000bath Petrol 1000bath

21K without rent is that for one or two people

Just one!

Sounds about right, the reason i started this topic is because people in Australia

asked how much it costs in Thailand a month for everyday monthly expenses

We actually spend around 50K a month which covers everything except major

purchases, car/pickup, holidays etc which are not everyday monthly expenses

>>I'm in California right now though and gas, wine and many things are a lot cheaper than Thailand.

I was in KL a few weeks back and besides adult beverages, I found KL to be quite a bit cheaper than Phuket, not that I would live there, but Phuket is not the bargain it was years ago.

Phuket is probably the most expensive place to live in Thailand

How does KL compare to Bangkok

My vote goes for Samui, everything has to be taken in via the ferry

even krabi beach area is more. 7/11 prices are much higher there than Phuket