Thai Analysis: Heading Towards Lawless Society?

webfact

Heading towards Lawless Society?

BANGKOK:-- On the past weekend, two separate murders took place late Saturday night and early Sunday morning (April 21-22), killing five people. In the first incident, a teenage motorcycle street racing gang threw a bomb at a group of people who complained about their behavior, causing two deaths. In the other incident, a man and two female club singers were shot dead in a drive-by shooting. There are stories about murders everyday in the news, most of which are caused by personal disputes and love affairs. These stories are often ignored or soon forgotten by the public.

The fact that arms and war weapons were used in many murder cases leads to the question of how can ordinary people gain access to heavy weaponry so easily as if Thailand was a lawless country.

It is commonly known that underground businesses such as drugs, arms trafficking and other illegal trades are all interconnected. The spread of war weapons among the ordinary people could be a result of growing drug dealing networks. As illicit drugs have become more accessible today than before, the same could happen in the case of arms. In today's society where people seem to value money more than moral principles, those shady businesses have expanded more rapidly because some people could do just anything to accumulate their wealth.

Meanwhile, a surprise raid on the Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison early Sunday morning (April 22) yielded a large haul of prohibited items including mobile phones, tablet computers and drugs. Drug and arms trade could never flourish without corruption by public officials. It might not be an exaggeration to say that they are partly funded by corrupt officials.

Corruption is a major factor that helps drugs and arms networks to germinate, take deep roots in and rapidly weaken Thai society. There is no quick fix to this problem. But if the government really intends to solve it, it must tackle the problem at its root cause, which is corruption.

Hopefully, we will hear less in the news about vicious killings involving the use of war weapons by ordinary people.

Editorial, Kom Chad Luek, Page 4, April 23rd, 2012

Translated and rewritten by Wacharapol Isaranont.

Please note that the views expressed in our "Analysis" segment are translated from local newspaper articles and do not reflect the views of the Thai-ASEAN News Network.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest issue for me is that while the thugs run around with heavy weapons, ordinary people are left with no tools to defend themselves or their families. The BiB are not much help when you live in the country and the nearest officer is 30 minutes or more away when you call.

How can you have a lawless society in a country where there is no law to start with?

If there are laws here then noboby seems to obey them.

There was an 18 year old Siam Uni student shot dead 50 ft from my front door. I heard it all.

No police ,no door knocking, no investigation not even any police tape sealing off the area....nothing.

As an Australian criminal once said in court ...".in Asia there's plenty of places to hide a body."

How can you have a lawless society in a country where there is no law to start with?

There was an 18 year old Siam Uni student shot dead 50 ft from my front door. I heard it all.

No police ,no door knocking, no investigation not even any police tape sealing off the area....nothing.

As an Australian criminal once said in court ...".in Asia there's plenty of places to hide a body."

A country with no laws would be lawless. I don't quite know when they started heading away from a lawless society to be able to start heading back towards it.

Still safer than my neighborhood. Before I moved into my house a guy was killed by a prosititute and left on a bust cornor, drive by across from my house neighbor shot dead, Man killed by 2 fellows on a day long crime spree, and a cop shot and wounded 2 blocks from my house and the shooter killed by cops 4 blocks away. Sorry Thailand on a crime spree not compared to my neighborhood in the good old USA.My house was also broken into once a year for 5 years. I feel safer here.

• Like 1

It does not really matter what country you live in or where you go on holiday. All it takes is one drunken or drugged up or pissed off individual to create a news incident. I lived in a small village in the UK, population of around 9,000. But it made the press when Customs bagged Suffolks largest ever recorded drugs haul of around £9m.

In the two years I lived in the village, there were several cases of arson, many drunken brawls at the weekend after closing time, two of which resulted in deaths. It is not just the larger cities that have lawlessness. I had to call the Police to my home on one occasion and it took them 35 minutes to arrive.

Ok so we do not have the blatant corruption that is plainly obvious in Thailand, but in EVERY Western country (well maybe not Sweeden, Switzerland, Norway and Denmark) the problems are much greater.

The problem will get worse before it gets better.

In 1992, my stepsister and her baby were murdered by her estranged boyfriend. He got "life" and was out in 2010. There is no deterent to any criminal anymore.

Edited by Sibbo

alot of truth in this article imo , a few other cotributing factors , again imho , is the complete trash on thai tv , i think the same happened to the U.S , they are all about beautiful people leading idylic lives in huge houses driving top of the range cars , this creates envy in a society with little chance of ever getting a decent job with any prospects , ......sure there is alot of crime in the UK too , but the british made programmes are not to blame , they are far more ''down to earth'' and realistic with ordinary people having everyday problems that every generation and all classes can relate to , you don't see too many gunfights in the jungle on coronation street {the worlds longest running soap},... as thais are so quick to copy anything from the west or korea and japan so quickly it just shows how gullible and naive thais are, and the gov;t should be censoring this cr*p , but tend think showing a pair of breasts or someone smoking is more of a priority,...............PATHETIC !

• Like 1

javabear #3   Spot on, All the bib are tied up in the town station, I have spoken before the word WHY ???when the way to solve many problems is to have a police house in every village--say-2 in a Tambon.  all villages would be in control, everyone is therefore known to the policeman, and most of the time what they do. Being there is a deterrent ie., drugs, domestic abuse, drunkenness.  This also would bring a better feeling between family and police. Accidents also would have someone there on the spot to call for services.  GET rid of these village heads, most of them are getting money and do nothing but involve themselves in local corruption.  This is a proven method, to reduce crime, BUT try telling Thais that, seems to me they like it like it is, as there are so many loopholes and crevices to creep into.

An article that shows that some reporters have thier ear to the ground, so to speak, the big difference between corruption here and in our countries of origin is this, here it is in your face, everyone knows about it and are happy to live with it so long as they are able to get on with thier lives while ingoring the rest of the world, back home it is more covert, people know it happens and some people are willing to do something about it, back home if you get caught in corruption you face a jail term, here if you try to report it you will either be asked to pay an investigation 'fee', or you'll end up 'committing suicide'. So long as there is cultural indiference toward corruption there will be no pressure on anyone who is in government or in law enforcement who is either only marginally corrupt or untarnished by corruption to do anything. Until then, enjoy the show as you watch life go by.

Edited by TomTao
  • Like 1

javabear #3 Spot on, All the bib are tied up in the town station, I have spoken before the word WHY ???when the way to solve many problems is to have a police house in every village--say-2 in a Tambon. all villages would be in control, everyone is therefore known to the policeman, and most of the time what they do. Being there is a deterrent ie., drugs, domestic abuse, drunkenness. This also would bring a better feeling between family and police. Accidents also would have someone there on the spot to call for services. GET rid of these village heads, most of them are getting money and do nothing but involve themselves in local corruption. This is a proven method, to reduce crime, BUT try telling Thais that, seems to me they like it like it is, as there are so many loopholes and crevices to creep into.

your dead right,....but its not only a fact in thailand, the UK needs some of the same too , .....no such thing as a ''local bobby '' anymore , and thus goes any local knowlege !

*Deleted quote edited out*

Thailand has always been far worse than almost anywhere and if the real numbers were available it would be far worse than far worse. It appears the deep South war is doing very well crime wise - only 5,200 killed in 7 years. This is highly commendable when you consider nationally over 20,000 people are killed every year with guns alone. Isn't it obvious - Thailand is at war and has been for a long time. Problem here is many criminals are on police payroll and people are a little bit too sensitive to criticism (no-one fails and no-one is a bad person or makes mistakes) - perhaps this is a good thing as an attempt to stop it could end up like Mexico - execution of witnesses. Or is it worse than Mexico? Thailand is number three for gun murders after South Africa and Colombia. Also if a scooter follows 10cm behind your scooter at 140km/hr for 15km in an attempt at getting you to fall off, if they can overtake you they will kick you down taking your bag while you lie dying. Now the police I have been informed that an attempt is not a crime so there is no need to give this man a visit - the police say Thailand is not the same as foreign countries. They say there is no reason to investigate. By the way this kind of crime is rife. Does it sound familiar farang inexplicable falling of bikes? It really makes me laugh when farang here think police will help farang. Please learn Thai and ask Thai people if the Thai police will help farang. The corruption sadly is nationwide. I thought it was just in tourist spots but sadly rotten to the core throughout.

Edited by Scott
deleted quote edited out
  • Like 1

The biggest issue for me is that while the thugs run around with heavy weapons, ordinary people are left with no tools to defend themselves or their families. The BiB are not much help when you live in the country and the nearest officer is 30 minutes or more away when you call.

30 minutes? In Bangkok it can take up to 3 days! Mainly due to traffic and the fact the the BIB are finishing off their break/lunch/dinner with a few well deserved beers!

In San Francisco, bars must be closed by 2am. Exactly. If the cops have a special liking for the establishment they will be there counting down the last seconds, and if at exactly 2am one person still has a drink in their hand WAMMO! I'm not sure what the terms are now, but it used to be the first time you got a warning and a hefty fine. Second time they take away your alcohol licensing. That's it.

What time did you say the bars have to close by in Bangkok?

Law in LOS will never be taken seriously until the police are issued uniforms that have no pockets.

If the uniforms have no pockets, they're just going to be stashing the money down their underpants, which is even more disgusting. There's going to be some pretty stinky money circulating around Bangkok.

and education,corruption,education,selfishness,education,greed , education,discapline ,education ,justice , education ,xenophobia , education,racism ,education , honesty,education , yaba , education , insulation , education , and education

Are you kidding? Thailand 20,000 gun homicides, Malaysia 10. There is something very wrong. My advice get home by 5.30pm and lock your doors. Thailand is a war zone. The statistics don't lie. And the Police are in business with the crooks. If you don't believe me - ask any Thai. People are evil whether the government is yellow or red - and my God the police and crooks don't change a habit of a lifetime because of political parties. Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

... the cultural values of a society are largely driven and sustained by the spiritual values of the predominant religion(s).

... after 12+ years living and working here, up close and personal, my opinion is the Thai's greed is greater and stronger than the Thai's Buddha.

... Thais are not particularly prepared for self-introspection, especially on an issue as sensitive as the defacto state religion - the unique, Thai-branded Theravada Buddhism ... so, the question of Thais' inferior cultural values might be denied by Thais, and the entire issue uncomfortably avoided in their child-like ways.

... no great moral leader appears on the Thai radar anywhere to inspire and stir in Thais a greater humanity ... no Mahatma Gandhi ... no Aung San Suu Kyi ... no Nelson Mandela ... for that reason, I suspect changes in Thai values will not occur, and Thai cultural values will continue to corrode.

... I have long been preparing my Thai children to leave Thailand, should they decide their quality of life will be better in another nation.

... corruption + incompetence = Thailand ... it is a mathematical certainty.

... so deeply saddening to have to witness this ... I wonder what the Thais' Buddha would say?

Yep, you would be safer in the war zone of the deep South statistically. How ironic. Crime is that bad out of the Muslim areas.

... the cultural values of a society are largely driven and sustained by the spiritual values of the predominant religion(s).

... after 12+ years living and working here, up close and personal, my opinion is the Thai's greed is greater and stronger than the Thai's Buddha.

... Thais are not particularly prepared for self-introspection, especially on an issue as sensitive as the defacto state religion - the unique, Thai-branded Theravada Buddhism ... so, the question of Thais' inferior cultural values might be denied by Thais, and the entire issue uncomfortably avoided in their child-like ways.

... no great moral leader appears on the Thai radar anywhere to inspire and stir in Thais a greater humanity ... no Mahatma Gandhi ... no Aung San Suu Kyi ... no Nelson Mandela ... for that reason, I suspect changes in Thai values will not occur, and Thai cultural values will continue to corrode.

... I have long been preparing my Thai children to leave Thailand, should they decide their quality of life will be better in another nation.

... corruption + incompetence = Thailand ... it is a mathematical certainty.

... so deeply saddening to have to witness this ... I wonder what the Thais' Buddha would say?

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

This is because the police are afraid and understandably. My God i never seen anyone more fearful in my life when I met police about my attempted robbery. They were at the end of their tether with fear. I sympathise with them. They get around with handguns and Honda Waves 100cc while the drug lords get around with M16s and bullet proof Mercedes. I side with the police. It's better to stay home. That's what they did with me when there was an attempted robbery. The feeling is that as long as you don't do anything things won't get worse. And I guess I agree with them. 20,000 gun murders a year is a lot better than 50,000 gun murders. To attack this front on would end up in gun fights erupting every hour of the day and innocent bystanders getting killed in the cross fire with the drug lords getting the upper hand with their M16s versus handguns. Police are naturally playing the game of self preservation. Edited by heiwa

Well we have the situation in the US (all the West is the same) where Big Business and Banks own the regulators and any government, where does that fit in with the law enforcement, except via selective application, which is what the law is all really about. Corzine, a friend of Obama, at MF Capital steals billions from his clients segregated accounts and hands it to JP Morgan, is he doing jail time, has he even been charged? Anyone that does any reading knows there are countless examples of fraud and theft at the wealthy end of town that never gets prosecuted, there are separate laws for the rich and poor, so it was in feudal days and so it is now. How is Thailand any different? If anything it is probably goes on here on a much smaller scale.

Enacting a government gives that government and its apparatus control over us, any surprise that long ago the corrupt figured that one out, or that the politicians and bureaucrats lever that power for personal gain? The great irony is that that Thailand for all its faults and similarity to the Wild West offers much greater freedom to those that live here than any western country.