List Of Cars Built In Thailand?

Is there any list of which models are built in Thailand? Or does one just go to the manufacturer websites and look at the price and figure it out that way?

Just wondering which cars are a better 'value' (although I guess since the second hand market is good here, it doesn't matter so much as you'll get a lot of your money back if you sell it in within a few years

Hi, I can't give you an exact list but there are plenty of highly knowledgeable board members on here; MRO, for example, has an encyclopaedic-knowledge of motors and will probably give you the list you want. In a nutshell, Honda and Toyota depreciate less than other brands and the excise tax on single-cab pickups is the lowest (3%) so these vehicles offer the best value, I think. MRO wrote the definite explanation of car-taxes in Thailand here.

Based on that and looking at some of the hybrid prices on the web, I guess those are all imported.

It seems the only real sweet spot is pickup trucks < 3250cc or cars with small engines.

Other than that, looks like you're going to pay double to triple what one would pay in the US.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Hi, I can't give you an exact list but there are plenty of highly knowledgeable board members on here; MRO, for example, has an encyclopaedic-knowledge of motors and will probably give you the list you want. In a nutshell, Honda and Toyota depreciate less than other brands and the excise tax on single-cab pickups is the lowest (3%) so these vehicles offer the best value, I think. MRO wrote the definite explanation of car-taxes in Thailand here.

I think you are a bit back to front Honda and Toyota hold the better secondhand car values I guess.

Isuzu and others come second. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Based on that and looking at some of the hybrid prices on the web, I guess those are all imported.

It seems the only real sweet spot is pickup trucks < 3250cc or cars with small engines.

Other than that, looks like you're going to pay double to triple what one would pay in the US.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

Your opening up an old herring, you are in Thailand, if you are going to compare prices with USA and Europe when deciding to buy a car/truck in Thailand, you are better off doing a forum search.

Im not complaining about the taxes just trying to get around them.

Im just wondering which nice cars are built in se Asia with a hybrid or moderately sized engine so as to minimize taxes.

It's easy to find the economy cars that are priced right.

Nice cars and minimal taxes is an oxymoron here. Even the locally built German cars are almost 300% higher than in the US even with an engine of less than 220 hp.

BMW 520i in TH 3,599,000 http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/vehicle/specs.php?lang=en&id=612958&new=1

Same car in the US $46,000 http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/BMW_5-Series/prices/

So 120K vs 46K USD, or 3.6 million vs 1.4 million THB

Also make a difference on exchange rates, my 1st new car here with the GBP @ 74 baht = the same car in UK was almost 4,000 baht cheaper here, now a day with the exchange being less then 50 baht = the same car type is more expensive than UK, but just over 1,000 baht more than back in 2004..

So take the BMW 520i as you say = 3.6 million, but look back to 2005 = 3.8 million, so is cheaper now in Thailand, also bet the exchange rate $ or baht is different...... so is cheaper in Thailand now, but works out more expensive if converting to $ then back in 2005 if you know what I mean