Bogus Beggars Around Bangkok

upinthesky

Quite often times when I was having coffee at starbuck, eat at Mcdonale, beggars with dirty clothes came up to me and ask for money. I said I want to offer them a free meal but they refused and insist me to give them money so I told them to go away. There is no reason for me to give them my money unless they are starving, but they are not. I wonder why the staffs allow them to enter the restaurant and walk around asking people for money?

P.S. Sorry I am not a good story teller.

Edited by upinthesky

About 4 months ago, myself and my wife were in a branch of Bangkok Bank at a well known shopping Mall near our home, next to us was an old lady having problems with putting money into the CDM, my wife assisted her, and she credited about 6,000 baht into an account, about 1 hour later we saw the same woman on the steps of the bridge next to the shopping Mall begging for money, with bandages on her hands, they were not there earlier.....

About 4 months ago, myself and my wife were in a branch of Bangkok Bank at a well known shopping Mall near our home, next to us was an old lady having problems with putting money into the CDM, my wife assisted her, and she credited about 6,000 baht into an account, about 1 hour later we saw the same woman on the steps of the bridge next to the shopping Mall begging for money, with bandages on her hands, they were not there earlier.....

I didn't know that 'beggar' is a profession here in Thailand.

I think you got the point now thanks to beano2276. I am interested:

But if you were a beggar would you accept a free meal at mcdonalds when you know they wont allow you sit down and eat because it might disturb other customers?

But if you were a beggar would you accept a free meal at mcdonalds when you know they wont allow you sit down and eat because it might disturb other customers?

yes called "take-away"

In Austria I saw once a woman giving food fo a beggar who than got aggressive, because she is damaging his business....

He wants money not food

• Like 1

The basic human survival needs are food (and water), clothing, and shelter. Starving isn't the only manifestation of critical need.

and shelter is far less critical a need in an environment where hypothermia is nigh impossible

There's a fairly well known beggar always on the same corner in the Sydney CBD.

Some news type documented his daily take and it turned out to be about AUD$ 60,000 per year.

There every day,sleeps on the street corner.

If done well, anything can be a money spinner,even begging.

A lot of beggars are part of a syndicate, often run by gangs / mafia. They have to make money and the prime spots are protected. If they are coming in asking for money, it's because they have a target. Anyway, I'm not sure a thai beggar would actually want a Starbucks sandwich. Cripes, even I don't.

Starbucks Tuna salad sandwiches are quite good - but a little light on the tuna for the price. However, beggars can't be choosers, so not bad for free.

I beg to differ.

Some time ago I was approached by a typically scruffy looking street person who asked for a smoke.

I reached for my pocket and "sure,but they are menthol"

he said "Nah, f&^% that shit"and walked off...

• Like 1

Those CDM slots can give nasty cuts. :rolleyes:

Now you know. Most are conmen. Most in Bangkok are actually Cambodian and come specifically to beg. There are even farang beggars. There used to be a european guy who would beg at BTS stations, with a sign that said he needed money a ticket home, only he did it for years. Other times I've been approached by farang in Khao San and Suhmkumvit and told they were robbed and needed money, only to be approached again by the same guy with the same story a few days or weeks later.

Better to donate to a charity if you want to help someone, most beggars are not legit and you have no way of knowing if they are or not.

Ha, you must be joking or on crack. Ever heard the term; beggars can't be choosers?

In Thailand ALL beggars are scammers as ANY street is "owned" by someone and NO ONE begs without paying off the "owner."

A lot of beggars are part of a syndicate, often run by gangs / mafia. They have to make money and the prime spots are protected. If they are coming in asking for money, it's because they have a target. Anyway, I'm not sure a thai beggar would actually want a Starbucks sandwich. Cripes, even I don't.

It's human trafficking and fraud supported by the BMA officers that control every square centimeter of footpath.

They have imported over 500 Cambodians and occupy valuable begging turf around Bangkok.

Many have horrific injuries that turn a stroll down the footpath into a stomach turning, street of horrors.

The organizers drop them off, pick them.

It would be interesting to place several mock beggars in these reserved places some morning and watch to see who comes along and throws them out.

It's unfortunate that some poor starving Thai is not able to go out and beg a few coins for a meal.

• Like 1

It's human trafficking and fraud supported by the BMA officers that control every square centimeter of footpath.

They have imported over 500 Cambodians and occupy valuable begging turf around Bangkok.

Many have horrific injuries that turn a stroll down the footpath into a stomach turning, street of horrors.

The organizers drop them off, pick them.

It would be interesting to place several mock beggars in these reserved places some morning and watch to see who comes along and throws them out.

It's unfortunate that some poor starving Thai is not able to go out and beg a few coins for a meal.

Me thinks it would be better for someone to follow their rides when

they are picked up after there days work. See where they are taken,

how they live and how they are treated.

But like everywhere else around the world, the saying goes ...

"not my business, I do not want to get involved"

Rarely by choice.

Now you know. Most are conmen. Most in Bangkok are actually Cambodian and come specifically to beg.

No, they are victims run by the mafia=police, so you can't help them except at great risk to youself, other than offering nutritious food, which most by the way are happy to accept, especially formula for the babies.

The younger ones are purchased and not with their real mother anymore, the truly maimed often victims of loansharks etc, or actually mutilated to increase the sympathy factor.

Don't give them money. Nor the elephant guys, although I'm please to see they're getting rarer these days at least in downtown BKK

> It's unfortunate that some poor starving Thai is not able to go out and beg a few coins for a meal.

In non-tourist areas they are, but they do have to turn over a percentage of the take to the "owner" of their territory.

Me thinks it would be better for someone to follow their rides when they are picked up after there days work. See where they are taken, how they live and how they are treated.

Such experiments would be IMO be very risky to the integrity of your physical person. Maybe the Grey Man should be asked to take an interest in these (very real) matters.

How can a beggar be 'bogus' or a 'con-man'?

Surely a beggar is simply that - a beggar. There is no rule or law that says a beggar can't be rich, and must necessarily be destitute.

At the end of the day, as a punter you have a simple choice - give them money or not. What they do with it - whether it's spent on food, booze or the latest iPad - is not your concern, surely?

• Like 2

Some poor Thais can and do beg. It is simply a conspiracy theory among farang that you can not do so without being some kind of mafia slave. Police don't remove them for the same reason they don't remove them back home, they have better things to do. That's why even farang can find a place to beg without getting hassled too much, that one Dutch guy was begging at BTS stations for years. Most Thais simply choose not to beg, they do some profession like lottery ticket selling instead. Most beggars are Cambodian, and despite what some farang think are not intentionally crippled for begging, most are land mine victims. No one intentionally cripples people in Cambodia when there are thousands of real cripples everywhere you look.

How can a beggar be 'bogus' or a 'con-man'?

Surely a beggar is simply that - a beggar. There is no rule or law that says a beggar can't be rich, and must necessarily be destitute.

At the end of the day, as a punter you have a simple choice - give them money or not. What they do with it - whether it's spent on food, booze or the latest iPad - is not your concern, surely?

City officials and gangsters colluding to exploit the maimed Cambodians and divert donations meant for the poor into their own pockets.

That is a huge problem.

• Like 1

Totally disagree.

If a druggie/drunk asks me for cash that s/he's going to spend on drink or even more dangerous substance abuse I'm not helping them by complying and will definitely give them something useful but not convertable to cash instead.

With these specific cases, the cash you give them is 99% going to their evil abusers so again you're just perpetuating the evil.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Some poor Thais can and do beg. It is simply a conspiracy theory among farang that you can not do so without being some kind of mafia slave. Police don't remove them for the same reason they don't remove them back home, they have better things to do. That's why even farang can find a place to beg without getting hassled too much, that one Dutch guy was begging at BTS stations for years. Most Thais simply choose not to beg, they do some profession like lottery ticket selling instead. Most beggars are Cambodian, and despite what some farang think are not intentionally crippled for begging, most are land mine victims. No one intentionally cripples people in Cambodia when there are thousands of real cripples everywhere you look.

You obviously haven't gotten to know any of them personally.

There's a short-haired tom-looking girl, 19 now, hangs out around soi 7 helping to supervise the shoe-shine kids, I've known her for over 10 years now, go down and have a chat with her how it works.

You're deluding yourself. . .