Do You Ever Meet Up With Thaivisa Members

eek

Just wondered how many of you are ok with meeting other Thaivisa members.

Do some of you look forward to the Thaivisa meet-ups or avoid?

Have you ever decided to meet a few members because you feel you got to know them a bit over time via the forum?

Im a relatively private person, so although ive met a couple of members, its usually over some time of knowing them through the forum.

Ive never been to a thaivisa meet-up.

I go through phazes of posting on thaivisa, but its rare for me to post anything regarding my personal life, or anything particularly personal about me.

Just had a mini panic ( as sad as that may seem) because a member i know posted my real name..(now removed). Just that i feel uncomfortable about people i havent given my name to, seeing it. Maybe thats strange?!

Anyway...just wondered if other members feel their privacy is important, or dont mind the whole world (ok well, not world, but thaivisa) knowing who they are and all about them.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to meet you Ms eek, privately...just so that you know how much that I admire you...and it would certainly have nothing to do with published photographs of your splendid legs...just some small drinks and some small laughter; ha, ha (as the ice tinkles in the glasses and ignoring the slobbering over the thighs)

(I would also like to see sbk in similar circumstances as she is a siren and could take down anyone and their foolishness in a minute...an engaging discussion is always an advantage...tinkle, tinkle)

'hey, I've run out of money...can you guys get the next rounds?...'

some years ago when the step daughter was little she came up to some big tattooed guys playing pool in a bar on Nana and everyone was delighted with the little girl and then tutsi was able to fool around with some of the female bar staff and get away with it... har, har...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I have asked many expats (mostly Brits) if they are on Thai Visa and they have so far always said no (and normally they say they haven't heard of it)

Do you think they are really just trying to protect the privacy of their online persona?

Many TV members do try to meet up. It never works.

The number of times I have gone to a bar or resteraunt only to walk out in confusion becasue the fit burly Ex SAS or well dressed International Banker with the obviously Hi So Generals daughter wife could not be found amongst the fat old guys with hookers or farmers daughters on their arms is boggling.....

Maybe they were just having me on......I tell you, that's no way to treat an ex-interntional lock and his Na Ayudhya covergirl wife

• Like 2

I have asked many expats (mostly Brits) if they are on Thai Visa and they have so far always said no (and normally they say they haven't heard of it)

Do you think they are really just trying to protect the privacy of their online persona?

I wish you would stop asking mate. Its getting really irritating! biggrin.png

I only ever asked one expat this question more than once and that individual was a pre-op transsexual who was wearing hot-pants and a tee-shirt saying "I love Arsenal" on both occasions... I hope these revelations don't damage your TV reputation too much... I just thought other members deserve to know the truth

Not at all mate. carmine keeps moaning about you...that's all I was saying. tongue.png

Ive never been to a thaivisa meet-up

neither have i. but over the years more than a dozen TV-members have been guests in my house and i couldn't care less that they know my real name and the names of my dogs. come to think of it... some even know my wife's first name and the brand of Port wine that is usually served. should i be worried? huh.png

I've only ever met Thai Visa members who are known business owners, but there are a few others I would like to meet either through curiosity or because I think we might have something in common that would serve as the basis of a friendship. I think there's a big difference between offering advice and input on a forum such as this and comming to understand some of the views of individual members and beomming real friends - the former is more of a social service whereas the latter is very personal. Having said that Eek, we've "spoken" a few times and I'd be happy to meet up for lunch or a coffee sometime, I think it would be really neat.

Afterthought: at the heart of this matter is the reason why people post on Thai Visa, if the motives are right there's a chance that frienships can arise as a result. But then you get into the weirdness of dual personalities of keyboard warriers vs the real nature of the person themselves. I know, I think too mut!

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

I meet Thai Visa members pretty often as they stop by my shop and say hi. Also, I have been to a few of the meet-ups and always met someone nice that I did not know before. I have met eek a few times and she is as pleasant in person as online.

I have never (knowingly) met any of the Thia Visa posters whose posts bother me, but I have seen a few at the Thai Visa parties sitting alone in a corner not making eye contact with anyone. Thai Visa used to make everyone wear a name tag with their nick on it, but I think that they have stopped that.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Much to the irritation of our older more change averse members, our Chiang Rai sub forum went through what might be called a social networking phase.

Members sometimes meet at external functions like the Hash or Expat Club. We formed a monthly Potluck while some get together to ride motorbikes. Some will meet for coffee and there are usually a few TV members at Sunday Brunch at the Meridien. Of course one meets more people who are not members of TV but that is to be expected.

My first forays into the online world were fraught with trepidation and I remained guarded for some time. Over time my feelings changed. I do guard personal information that could lead to identity theft but I enjoy meeting the readers of my blog and the occasional TV member.

Finding people you genuinely like or have much in common with is another matter. Still Chiang Rai is quite spread out so when one has the occasion to venture to town for the day, it is nice to have spontaneous encounters while there.

I can’t speak for the bar crowd but one suspects their experiences might vary. I enjoy knowing who is who, even if only to know who to avoid when you see them again.laugh.png

• Like 1

... I do guard personal information that could lead to identity theft ...

Everyone is different and if the opportunity presents itself, I would love to chew the fat with a few of the guys (and girls) here.

My character is that of an open person, so I care not what people know of me but agree with villagefarang above and guard that carefully.

I one I want to meet the most is that 'spotted buffalo' !

Sadly IanForbes passed into cyber oblivion while I was away on holidays and hope that he will be respectfully remembered for all his good work ... I would have liked to shouted him a beer or two.

RIP IanForbes ... drunk.gif

... I do guard personal information that could lead to identity theft ...

Everyone is different and if the opportunity presents itself, I would love to chew the fat with a few of the guys (and girls) here.

My character is that of an open person, so I care not what people know of me but agree with villagefarang above and guard that carefully.

I one I want to meet the most is that 'spotted buffalo' !

Sadly IanForbes passed into cyber oblivion while I was away on holidays and hope that he will be respectfully remembered for all his good work ... I would have liked to shouted him a beer or two.

Says account no longer active. Do you have any information?

Ive never been to a thaivisa meet-up

neither have i. but over the years more than a dozen TV-members have been guests in my house and i couldn't care less that they know my real name and the names of my dogs. come to think of it... some even know my wife's first name and the brand of Port wine that is usually served. should i be worried? huh.png

No don't worry. The port's great by the way. :rolleyes:

Met quite a few when the Thaivisa football team was running, not sure how many are still members though - a few I still see posting occasionally.

Other than that met ex-Admin Huski, Mig16, ex-mod Khutan, Greg from Sunbelt... think that's about all.

I have no inside gossip or information, just given a heads up from some of the boys that he was lost to us when I returned from holidays.

I'm sure our thoughts are with him

... but also mindful that this is eeks posting and don't want to detract from that.

Privacy is important to me and I respect others privacy also.

There are a few TV members I would love to have around for a barbie etc and I am sure it will happen at some stage.

I wouldnt go the a "Meet" , not big on large gatherings.

I meet up with a few TV members on a regular basics, (Mountain biking) I would be happy go to any meet-up for a few wets and nibbles….I’d even be happy to wear a name tag. I would love to put some faces to ‘handles’ and I think if your genuine enough when posting on TV………..What’s the problem.

I have no inside gossip or information, just given a heads up from some of the boys that he was lost to us when I returned from holidays.

I'm sure our thoughts are with him

... but also mindful that this is eeks posting and don't want to detract from that.

Hmm, one of the best posters on TV and his account is now flagged as inactive. Only one way that could have happened.

I meet up with a few TV members on a regular basics, (Mountain biking) I would be happy go to any meet-up for a few wets and nibbles….I’d even be happy to wear a name tag. I would love to put some faces to ‘handles’ and I think if your genuine enough when posting on TV………..What’s the problem.

Tonto21, I agree, but me thinks that some of the members here were truly honest ... there would be more then one name tag on each shirt?

Maybe even the Mod's, to liven up the proceedings occasionally, have a doppelgänger ... purely an unsubstantiated rumour, of course!

Tonto21, I agree, but me thinks that some of the members here were truly honest ... there would be more then one name tag on each shirt?

Maybe even the Mod's, to liven up the proceedings occasionally, have a doppelgänger ... purely an unsubstantiated rumour, of course!

There is only one of me....I dunno how the rest of ya keep up....all seven of ya....

• Like 1