2 Year Uk Tourist Visa For My Baby

I have a 8 month old son with my Thai gf. He was born in Bangkok and my name is on the birth certificate, he has my last name. We have already got him a Thai passport.

We would all like to go to the UK soon and again at Xmas and at some time next year, so I would like to get my girlfriend a 2 year UK visa this time (before our son was born we have visited the UK twice before on 2 separate 6 month visas).

We will all be travelling together both ways.

I think my son requires his own UK visa, correct? Or can his visa be applied for, and combined with the mother's visa?

Is he eligible for a 2 year UK visa or is there a restriction on the maximum visa period for babies?

If not, is he currently eligible for a UK passport and what is the fastest method to get it while we are in Thailand?

TIA.

I do not have my birth certificate in Thailand, which I understand I need to apply for my son's UK passport.

If he travels on a tourist visa can he apply for a UK passport when he is in the UK?

Also, what I really need to know, can he get a 2 year UK tourist visa now in his Thai passport?

Thx.

As his mother has had previous UK visit visas and, presumably, complied with the conditions then there is no reason why she cannot obtain a 2 year one, or longer, this time. If she is granted a 2 year one then her son should be as well.

Be warned, though, that if the ECO decides for some reason to grant a shorter period than applied for there will be no refund of the difference in fees.

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

I cannot say for sure, but provided you can produce the necessary documents to show he is British I can see no reason why he cannot apply for a British passport in the UK even though he entered with his Thai passport.

Once he has one, remember to use his British passport to enter and leave the UK and his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. If he enters Thailand with his British passport he will be treated there as a British citizen, not a Thai one.

To apply for his British passport you will need a notarised translation of his Thai birth certificate. This will be easier and a lot cheaper to obtain in Thailand than in the UK.

Is it possible to apply for a Passport in the child’s name while the child is still in Thailand, thus removing the need for a Visa into the UK?

At what age can a Thai child get a Passport for another country?

Apologies to the OP in asking additional questions ...

Got my sons passport whilst we was living in Bangkok and he was only few months old age doesn't matter, was a bit of a hassle but worth it in the end. What you need to get necessary forms from British embassy your gf/wife's birth certificate translated, child's birth certificate translated (many translation agents can be found hanging outside the embassy) and original copy of your passport. Not sure if it's the same for everyone but I also ha to submit photo copy's of my parents passport. Hope it helps

As his mother has had previous UK visit visas and, presumably, complied with the conditions then there is no reason why she cannot obtain a 2 year one, or longer, this time. If she is granted a 2 year one then her son should be as well.

Be warned, though, that if the ECO decides for some reason to grant a shorter period than applied for there will be no refund of the difference in fees.

See VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

I cannot say for sure, but provided you can produce the necessary documents to show he is British I can see no reason why he cannot apply for a British passport in the UK even though he entered with his Thai passport.

Once he has one, remember to use his British passport to enter and leave the UK and his Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand. If he enters Thailand with his British passport he will be treated there as a British citizen, not a Thai one.

To apply for his British passport you will need a notarised translation of his Thai birth certificate. This will be easier and a lot cheaper to obtain in Thailand than in the UK.

Thanks for the reply.

I've read some conflicting things on the net.

I don't think children (babies) can get a UK visa longer than 6 months.

I think that non nationals cannot apply for a UK passport in the UK, it has to be done through the consulate in Hong Kong via the British Embassy in Bangkok. However, as I am his father and he is entitled to a UK passport does that make him a non national, thus is he able to apply for a UK passport whilst in the UK?

If anyone knows better, please tell me. Next opportunity I will ask at the British Embassy in Bangkok, I was just trying to clear this up asap.

Is it possible to apply for a Passport in the child’s name while the child is still in Thailand, thus removing the need for a Visa into the UK?

At what age can a Thai child get a Passport for another country?

Apologies to the OP in asking additional questions ...

1. Yes, this is the best way, however I think you need your original birth certificate which I do not have here in Thailand.

2. I think you can apply at any age. I have read about parents getting their 3 month old a UK passport. We got our son his Thai passport when he was about 4 months old. That was really easy.

We got our son his Thai passport when he was about 4 months old. That was really easy.

Well now I am confused.

Assuming that you needed your son's birth certificate to get the Thai Passport and you got it when he was 4 months old.

Now your son is 8 months ... you are still in Thailand presumably ... but you don't now have his birth certificate for the UK Passport?

What am I missing?

We got our son his Thai passport when he was about 4 months old. That was really easy.

Well now I am confused.

Assuming that you needed your son's birth certificate to get the Thai Passport and you got it when he was 4 months old.

Now your son is 8 months ... you are still in Thailand presumably ... but you don't now have his birth certificate for the UK Passport?

What am I missing?

I don't have MY birth certificate with me in Thailand, which, if I understand the requirements correctly, the original is needed to apply for my son's UK passport.

Got my sons passport whilst we was living in Bangkok and he was only few months old age doesn't matter, was a bit of a hassle but worth it in the end. What you need to get necessary forms from British embassy your gf/wife's birth certificate translated, child's birth certificate translated (many translation agents can be found hanging outside the embassy) and original copy of your passport. Not sure if it's the same for everyone but I also ha to submit photo copy's of my parents passport. Hope it helps

Thanks for the reply, what is an "original copy", i,e, when you said "original copy of your passport"? Do you mean I have to send my passport away with the application or a signed photocopy of every page of my passport?

What about my son's Thai passport, does that have to be sent with the application?

Thanks for the reply, what is an "original copy", i,e, when you said "original copy of your passport"? Do you mean I have to send my passport away with the application or a signed photocopy of every page of my passport?

What about my son's Thai passport, does that have to be sent with the application?

Sorry for confusion was typing on my phone, photo copy of every page of passport should be fine the embassy understands you need your original passport. What I meant to say was original copy of your birth certificate they won't accept photo copy of that. Don't need to send your sons Thai birth certificate either if you paying by bankers draft or from your account you pay to the Hong Kong embassy but it gets issued in the UK all that is explained on the leaflets you can pick up at the embassy, took me 3-4 weeks

Sorry for confusion was typing on my phone, photo copy of every page of passport should be fine the embassy understands you need your original passport. What I meant to say was original copy of your birth certificate they won't accept photo copy of that. Don't need to send your sons Thai birth certificate either if you paying by bankers draft or from your account you pay to the Hong Kong embassy but it gets issued in the UK all that is explained on the leaflets you can pick up at the embassy, took me 3-4 weeks

Thanks. So based on that I do not have everything to apply for his UK passport right now so I am going to need a visa for my son to go to the UK next month and I'll sort out his UK passport in the future.

So, does anyone know:

1. Can a baby get a 2 year UK tourist visa?

2. Can I apply for my son's UK passport while we are in the UK?

Cheers.

As per 7x7's post. If your wife gets a 2 yr visit visa there is no reason why the baby should not as well.

You can apply for a copy of your own birth certificate on-line from anywhere in the world. I doubt they would post it to a Thai address but an email to the Registry office may be helpful! If not apply for it and pick it up in the UK when you arrive.

Yes you should be able to apply for a British passport for a child when you are in the UK:

http://www.direct.go...ation/DG_183772

''Applying for a first British passport while visiting the UK

Your British passport can only be delivered to a UK address – don't book any travel until it has arrived

If you're aged 16 or over and have never held your own British Passport, you can't apply using an urgent service. For your first adult passport, you have to apply using the standard application process.

You’ll need to attend an interview and should allow at least six weeks for the application process. However, some of the supporting documents for your application may need verification. The application process could take longer if these documents are from abroad

If you’re under the age of 16, you can apply for your first child passport using the urgent ‘one-week Fast Track’ service.

Your British passport can only be delivered to an address in the UK. Don't book any travel until your new passport has arrived.''

The sooner you get the correct paperwork the sooner you can apply to get a British passport for the baby.

A six month visa for the first trip (if there is not enough time to get a passport) and get a British passport in time for Christmas. Six month visa is pretty cheap!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

As said, there is nothing in the rules to say that a child cannot have a visit visa valid for longer than 6 months, nor that anyone has to have a 6 month one the first time they apply. It all depends on the circumstances.

The child has a mother with a good travel history and who is applying at the same time as the child, therefore I can see no reason why the child should not be given the same term as the mother.

However, the point is moot in your circumstances. As Bob has pointed out the child only needs a 6 month one because after that he will a British passport and so no need of any sort of UK visa. And a 6 month one will be cheaper.

However, to ease the ECO's mind and avoid possible questions, I would mention in your covering letter why you are applying for a 6 month visa for him (no time to get you birth certificate and so no time to get a British passport for him) .

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was asking specifically about a child obtaining a UK visa longer than 6 months is this:

To come to the UK as a child visitor, you must be able to show that:

you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you will be accompanying an academic visitor)

Which implies that a child cannot get a longer tourist visa. For us however, I am planning to have a UK passport for him for our next trip in December so a 6 month visa should now suffice.

Thanks for the help. b

Edited by KunMatt

However, to ease the ECO's mind and avoid possible questions, I would mention in your covering letter why you are applying for a 6 month visa for him (no time to get you birth certificate and so no time to get a British passport for him) .

Yeah, I have been thinking about that. I am going to apply for a 2 year UK visa for my gf but at the same time only a 6 month visa for our son. I'm not sure how I should explain it so it doesn't complicate her application. I've read that it is a cause of concern for the ECO when a UK partner and baby have a UK passport as the Thai gf is deemed less likely to return to Thailand. Should I say I intend to apply in the UK for the passport, in Bangkok when we return, or just "sometime in the future"?

No visitor, with certain exceptions which do not apply to most of us, is allowed to spend more than 6 months in the UK; which is what the paragraph you have quoted means. It does not mean a child visitor cannot have a long term visit visa.

From VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

Care should be taken when considering long term visit visa applications from child visitors. They should only be granted a visa which is valid to 6 months past their 18th birthday. For instance, a 14 year old applying for a 5 or 10 year long term visit visa, the visa expiry date should be limited to the date that is 6 months after the applicant's 18th birthday

If your partner does get her 2 year visit visa it does not mean she can spend 2 years in the UK; she can't. She can visit the UK as often as she wishes during the 2 year life of her visa; provided she spends no more than 6 months in the UK on any one visit and no more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK, although the latter is a convention not a rule.

Reason to return can be a problem for spouses/partners of British citizens, especially when they have children. However, from your OP it appears that you live together in Thailand; correct? If so, then you are her reason to return. Provide evidence of your living together and a copy of the relevant page of your passport to show your immigration status in Thailand.

If you live in the UK then you will need to explain why she just wants to visit and not settle in the UK with you.

I would say that you intend to apply for your son's passport while in the UK as this will explain why his mother is applying for a 2 year visa but he is only applying for a 6 month one.

Given the history outlined in your earlier posts, I can see no reason why you should have any difficulty; provided you are open and up front about everything.

No visitor, with certain exceptions which do not apply to most of us, is allowed to spend more than 6 months in the UK; which is what the paragraph you have quoted means. It does not mean a child visitor cannot have a long term visit visa.

From VAT1.4 Visa validity - What period for a multiple entry visit visa?

Care should be taken when considering long term visit visa applications from child visitors. They should only be granted a visa which is valid to 6 months past their 18th birthday. For instance, a 14 year old applying for a 5 or 10 year long term visit visa, the visa expiry date should be limited to the date that is 6 months after the applicant's 18th birthday

If your partner does get her 2 year visit visa it does not mean she can spend 2 years in the UK; she can't. She can visit the UK as often as she wishes during the 2 year life of her visa; provided she spends no more than 6 months in the UK on any one visit and no more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK, although the latter is a convention not a rule.

Reason to return can be a problem for spouses/partners of British citizens, especially when they have children. However, from your OP it appears that you live together in Thailand; correct? If so, then you are her reason to return. Provide evidence of your living together and a copy of the relevant page of your passport to show your immigration status in Thailand.

If you live in the UK then you will need to explain why she just wants to visit and not settle in the UK with you.

I would say that you intend to apply for your son's passport while in the UK as this will explain why his mother is applying for a 2 year visa but he is only applying for a 6 month one.

Given the history outlined in your earlier posts, I can see no reason why you should have any difficulty; provided you are open and up front about everything.

Nice one! Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.

Yes, we live in Thailand together, built a house here together, there is no reason for her to want to stay in the UK.

Cheers.