International Driver'S License

Hi Friends,

Just got my Thai driver's license today. I intend to go back home and use it there. I checked and it's quite all right. But the Thai license is all Thai. So I guess I'll have to have international one. My question is: where do you get that?

Thanks for info

Did you not get the new type.

That one is in Thai and English

But, the International driving permit would be nice.

The license is available from the Local Land Transport office or the same place where you obtained the DL

If you have the one-year license, so sorry, no IDL

Did you not get the new type.

That one is in Thai and English

But, the International driving permit would be nice.

The license is available from the Local Land Transport office or the same place where you obtained the DL

If you have the one-year license, so sorry, no IDL

I just looked at it again. it's Thai and English, Under "car" it says "temporary car", I don't know what that means. and yes, this is a one year license.

I am not sure which country you originate from, but i belive a International licence can only be used in countries other than your own!

I use a International licence in Thailand, that was issued to me in saudi arabia, although i'm a UK citizen. The reason being i don't want my UK licence taken from me from if i commit a traffic violation.

Drive safe

Chris.

I use a International licence in Thailand, that was issued to me in saudi arabia, although i'm a UK citizen. The reason being i don't want my UK licence taken from me from if i commit a traffic violation.

Good point, I never thought of that.

Under "car" it says "temporary car", I don't know what that means. and yes, this is a one year license.

"Temporary Car" means that it is a a Temporary License (Only valid for 1 year).

I agree the wording is confusing.

After the year. you go back and without any tests (maybe only reaction and color) you will get a 5 years license, which will expire on your Birthday.

Congrats with the license

You don't say where you are from, and a 1 year Thai license is no good in the UK, without a Thai International Driver's Permit, not License.

I find the whole thing a bit strange though when the license is already in Thai and English why would you need it translated to English. ?

The only use of a IDP is if you go to a non English speaking country.

Here's one quote from one of the ads, rather funny I think. biggrin.png

The International Drivers License translation is printed in 12 languages: the six United Nations official languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese) as well as German, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish Greek, Korean or Farsi. It is also easy to apply for and does not require taking a driving test. Please note that we do not issue International Driving Permits or Licenses nor are these documents intended for legal driving use. blink.png You are required to have valid government issued driver's license to operate a vehicle!

You say you have checked I would check again be careful out there.

Edited by Kwasaki

You don't say where you are from, and a 1 year Thai license is no good in the UK, without a Thai International Driver's Permit, not License.

I find the whole thing a bit strange though when the license is already in Thai and English why would you need it translated to English. ?

The International Drivers License translation is printed in 12 languages: the six United Nations official languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic and Chinese) as well as German, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish Greek, Korean or Farsi. It is also easy to apply for and does not require taking a driving test. Please note that we do not issue International Driving Permits or Licenses nor are these documents intended for legal driving use. blink.png You are required to have valid government issued driver's license to operate a vehicle!

I

I have rented vehicles in the UK on my Thai license, so it is good in the UK for a temporary option. However, if staying in the UK you need to get a UK license, or IDP.

I am not sure which country you originate from, but i belive a International licence can only be used in countries other than your own!

Drive safe

Chris.

Not quite, it can only be used in countries other than the country that it is issued by. So in the OPs case, anywhere but Thailand.

The point of the IDP is that it shows the local police in the country you visit that your country license, which you must also carry with you, is real. The police in Timbuktu may not have seen a Thai license before and may not be able to distinguish it from your library card.

That 'ad' that you posted the extract from appears that it comes from one of those companies that sell so called International Driving Licenses to anyone, rather than authorised government bodies that issue genuine International Driving Permits to holders of their nations driving license.

• Like 1

I

I have rented vehicles in the UK on my Thai license, so it is good in the UK for a temporary option. However, if staying in the UK you need to get a UK license, or IDP.

Yes, you can hire in UK with Thai license but was yours a 1year license that is what is trying to be sorted out here, what is understood you cannot use a 1 year Thai license in the UK.:)

The point of the IDP is that it shows the local police in the country you visit that your country license, which you must also carry with you, is real. The police in Timbuktu may not have seen a Thai license before and may not be able to distinguish it from your library card.

That 'ad' that you posted the extract from appears that it comes from one of those companies that sell so called International Driving Licenses to anyone, rather than authorised government bodies that issue genuine International Driving Permits to holders of their nations driving license.

Yes, IDL & IDP !! you are actually pointing out what I am trying to say. :D

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, thought I would bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

I've just got my 5 year Thai License and I was wondering if I would be able to use it in England when I go back next month for Xmas. I currently have no English License, no provisional etc.

Do I need to apply for an international drivers license/and or permit. Or is my 5 year License enough?

Thanks

I've just got my 5 year Thai License and I was wondering if I would be able to use it in England when I go back next month for Xmas. I currently have no English License, no provisional etc.

Do I need to apply for an international drivers license/and or permit. Or is my 5 year License enough?

Thanks

You need to apply for a Thai IDP

Thanks

No, Thai drivers license is enough, no need for an IDP.

• Like 1

Thanks

No, Thai drivers license is enough, no need for an IDP.

Sorry, mea culpa, was having a brainstorm or something sad.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply's. So there's no need for me to get an International License at all then?

I'm going to be back in the UK for 3 weeks, how do I go about legally driving my brothers car for that period. I just need to be added to the insurance and I'm good to go? Sorry for the noob questions, I've never driven in England!

Edited by ha55ha

Thanks for the reply's. So there's no need for me to get an International License at all then?

I'm going to be back in the UK for 3 weeks, how do I go about legally driving my brothers car for that period. I just need to be added to the insurance and I'm good to go? Sorry for the noob questions, I've never driven in England!

As stevie boy says no need for IDP you can drive up to 1 year on a 5 year Thai driving license, after that you have to take a UK driving test.

Yep !! Just make sure your insured even if the policy says any other driver, I would also say make sure the insurance company know and confirm with you any other driver includes driving with a Thai license, insurance companies love a cop out if there's a claim.