Calling Uk

leftcross

i've never called the uk in just over a year of being in thailand but tried to do it yesterday. i just couldnt get through .... did anyone manage to???

first off i tried my landline in the apartment (bangkok) but as soon as i did 001 i got an engaged tone. i went outside and bought a lepso card from the 711 and tried the phone there but got the same, this time after putting the required prefix in. i didnt even get to the stage where i could put the number in...

now i may be doing something wrong so i dont know what the problem is...

can anyone help?

Edited by leftcross

I made 2 calls to the UK yesterday no problem.

are you are dialling the right numbers bearing in mind it has been so long since you last called. ?Its so Easy to forget.

for a TOT line try putting in 008 44 then miss off the first 0 of the number than you should be able to get through.

Therefore 008 44 1189 44444 would get you to Reading

008 44 208 560 7254 would get you to outer London

If not using TOT just try the 44 then the number, bear in mind that if you are calling London (area code (01208 for example-) you need to drop the first 2 numbers thus 208 is all you need, followed by the next set of local area numbers.

Good Luck

TP

but as soon as i did 001 i got an engaged

Isnt the code 0044?

The UK international dialling code is prefixed +44. Though to dial outside of Thailand you need to prefix that with 001 so dialling the UK would be 001 44.

Though TOT offer's a much less expensive service: 008 and 007. I normally use 007 as it provides a clearer line to the UK.

I have just spoke to someone in the UK and got through first time. Dialling: 007 44 (UK area code-leave the '0' out) followed by the number.

I hope this helps.

:o

but as soon as i did 001 i got an engaged

Isnt the code 0044?

The UK international dialling code is prefixed +44. Though to dial outside of Thailand you need to prefix that with 001 so dialling the UK would be 001 44.

Though TOT offer's a much less expensive service: 008 and 007. I normally use 007 as it provides a clearer line to the UK.

I have just spoke to someone in the UK and got through first time. Dialling: 007 44 (UK area code-leave the '0' out) followed by the number.

I hope this helps.

Spot on Chopper.

I would add that the reason 007 is 2 baht more is it,s a better quaility service and isn,t supposed to have break up or noisy transmission. in simple terms.

I have experienced the difference by trial and yes it was better.

The charges are as follows:- 008 is 7 baht per 1 minute. 007 is 9 baht

These are for U.K. only don,t forget.

It,s never going to break the budget and means we can all contact home if we wish, including our ex,s HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG.

Now more serious stuff again....................

I can quote others if anyone wants them from TOT info. with pleasure.

Another point i have discovered that i find brilliant is that if i ring on my mobile the

007 and 008 numbers, i get billed on my AIS invoice.

This saves me getting an international bill and Telewiz where i pay my mobile told me there is an agreement between AIS and the other telephone Co. but only for again 007 and 008.

You do not or should not get duplicate billing for the calls, i never have. :D:D:D

marshbags

I can't find information on 009 for internatinal calls - any enlightenment?

I used to have to use 009 to access international calls from my mobile and it was for general access on all mobile phones AIS advised me when i purchased my mobile and requested international facilities.

It was / is used for access via credit cards, i.e. cat phone net ect.

Now i can use 007 and 008 the same as a land line,

A big improvement as sometimes it was difficult using the old access number 009 as i had to try several times on occasions.

There may be other reasons that are relevant that i am not familiar with...............

marshbags :o:D:D

I used the TOT line without problems last night - so thanks all who gave me advice.

I also checked out the LENSO website to see if I had been doing anything wrong, or if there was any information about the service being down.

They have a 'contact' section so I described what had happened and sent my phone number. To their credit, a lady called this afternoon to apologise. She said the lines had been down because of Christmas. Now, this isn't much use to me but at least they had the decency to call to explain.