Marrying My Thai 'Wife' But Not Changing Her Surname

TIT

Hello,

I am a UK national living in Thailand and have been with my Thai girlfriend for the last 6 years and we are about to have our second child. We are considering possibly moving back to the UK in a year or so, so I have mentioned to her about it being better if we were married legally in that case as it will make it easy for her to get into the UK. She has quite a bit of land and property here in Thailand and is worried about the whole minefield of having to change all the papers/deeds/id's etc etc if she takes my name. Neither of us are too bothered about the whole name thing but we just want to know if anyone from the UK knows whether if we were to get legally married but she was to keep her Thai surname would she still be ok to get into the UK being married to me but without my family name?

If anyone has an light they can cast on this it would be most appreciatted.

Thanks

Under UK law there is no need for a woman to take her husband's surname upon marriage; it is up to her.

Therefore, whether she takes your surname or not will have absolutely no bearing on any UK visa application she may make.

As you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for more than 2 years there is no need to marry simply to obtain a UK visa; she can apply as your unmarried partner.

You may find UK Settlement Visa Basics useful.

May I suggest that if you have any questions on the visa process itself that you start a new topic in the Visas and migration to other countries forum.

She can travel on her passport in her name and as your wife. I did and UK border agency guy told me leave it that was has visa is in her married name in original passport. She cam leave all her ID in her name if she likes.

This is based on experience only and what we did and what we were advide by the UK border agency.

Personally i would try and persuade going through th ename change on the documents as you then have your name on some of the goodies instead of it all being in hers. I would think sh ewould be very worried about the name thing if it meant putting your name on her property, it certainly is not a minefield as i also went through that process.

Still as Sir Paul Macarrtney said we were so much in love at the time i never worried about such things, to the then Ms Mills.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your advice on this guys. We have decided to marry but she will keep her name. I'm really not bothered about her taking my name or being on her title deeds etc. I know we could get into the UK without even marrying but as we have already pretty much been married for 5 or 6 years its no biggy to make it legal for our kids. Thanks again