Departing Australia For Thailand

I have 2 friends wanting to visit Thailand for a holiday in June.

1. They have Australian Passports.

2. I am under the impression that they don’t have to have a Tourist Visa stamped into their Passports when they exit Australia and that the Immigration at the Thai airport stamps a 30 day Tourist Visa in their Passports on entry. Is this correct?

3. If they wish to stay longer than 30 days, is it better to have a Tourist Visa stamped into their passports before leaving Australia. Or is it just as easy to have it done here. What is the cost.

Edited by Crossy
Fixed font size

There's many ways this can be done, and I suppose it would depend on how many days total they need. 7 days, go for the extension, 14 days, do a land border run, 30 days can be an air flight to another country (and return same day), but in all honesty, I'd be just applying for the appropriate tourist visa before hand. Less hassle.

If staying longer than 30 days, it's best, and cheaper, to have a tourist visa. You get 60 days permission to stay on entry and that can be extended for 30 days(1900 baht).

I would suggest getting a Visa before going because every time I visit Thailand I end up staying longer and with a 60 Visa, it's much easier.

The Thai Consulate in Brisbane has the reputation as being one of the friendliest.

Here is their web address as it changed recently.

http://www.thaiconsulate.org/

Cost is $45 for a standard 60 day single entry.

Instructions from their web page is here ... http://www.thaiconsu...d=90&Itemid=109

David48 cowboy.gif

EDIT:- OH, if near Brisbane then simply post the passports in and include an Express post sachet with the application. My turnaround time was 5 days including post times from within QLD (not BNE)

Edited by David48

One more potentially IMPORTANT point.

If they do not have a Thai visa already, it's possible that either their airline in Oz, or Thai Immigration at Swampy, might not allow them to travel. UNLESS they have a ticket or reservation IN HAND showing departure from Thailand within that 30-day block of time.

So, having a Tourist visa, good for 60-90 days, is just less hassle all around.

Mac

If they do not have a Thai visa already, it's possible that either their airline in Oz, or Thai Immigration at Swampy, might not allow them to travel. UNLESS they have a ticket or reservation IN HAND showing departure from Thailand within that 30-day block of time.

Mac

or...

1. Cash or Credit Card to prove that you can sustain yourself overseas and enough funds to purchase a return ticket.

2. An onward ticket to a Country out of Thailand (not necessarily Australia)

If neither of the above or a return ticket to oz... they will not check you in.

Mac

or...

1. Cash or Credit Card to prove that you can sustain yourself overseas and enough funds to purchase a return ticket.

2. An onward ticket to a Country out of Thailand (not necessarily Australia)

If neither of the above or a return ticket to oz... they will not check you in.

1. may work on some airlines but probably not on most. It is the duty of the airline to make sure that you meet the entry requirements for the destination country and having "Cash or Credit Card to prove that you can sustain yourself and enough funds to purchase a return ticket" do not meet the requirement set out by Thai Immigration for visa exempt entry. The requirement is that you already hold a confirmed ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

However, I agree with your second point that you do not need a return ticket. A ticket out of Thailand within 30 days to any country should be OK.

Sophon

Please also be aware of Thailand's bizarre regulation that passports must have at least 6 months to go before expiry or Immigration will refuse entry.

You do know that "Thailand's bizarre regulation" is not soley a Thailand Immigration thing don't you, Try entering the USA/UK/Australia (to name a few) they all have the same "bizarre regulation" and Iam sure many other countries as well.

EDIT: Seems the UK rule is that passport must be valid for 3 months past the departure date.

Edited by Spoonman

Please also be aware of Thailand's bizarre regulation that passports must have at least 6 months to go before expiry or Immigration will refuse entry.

Firstly, many countries require six month validity on your passport so it's not an unusual requirement (e.g. Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore). Secondly, Thailand is not one of the countries with this requirement, they changed that some time back and the passport now only have to be valid for the duration of the intended stay.

Sophon

As said without a Visa or a ticket leaving within 30 days they face not being allowed on the flight.

Do most airlines issue both the departing and returning boarding passes when you check in for your outbound flight? I have done this many times but just can't remember. I vaguely remember not getting my return flight boarding pass until I checked in at the airline counter on my way out of Thailand.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=13.896186,100.613920

Then how can you prove to immigration that you have an outbound ticket so that they'll let you in?

The airline provides you reservation/ticket information when purchasing your tickets, even on the internet, I just print the e-ticket information for both flights.