Good Travel Insurance Hard To Find

ezzra

Been trawling the TV travel and insurance sections for good advise on travel insurance and

not much is there,

I'm about to embark on a long trip to the state with few stop overs and as such Murphy's law

is and will be, i have a good chance of some misfortune happening to me be it missed

connections, cancellation and delays of flight loss of baggage and health issues,

( for over 60 y.o travelers )

All the travel insurance companies i have looked at, big and small, were offering products

all over the spectrum, with Pre-existing medical conditions, trip cancellation, loss of

luggage and delays coverage being most paramount on my list,

Many good policies are offered ONLY to the residents and citizens of this or that country

and it become tedious, time consuming and confusing at time to select one suitable coverage,

Any contributions to the above will be much appreciated,

World nomads are good if you're young or doesn't have and Pre existing conditions which they will not

cover, the closest one is BUPA but they are asking nearly $ 500 for a reasonable cover,

World nomads are good if you're young or doesn't have and Pre existing conditions which they will not

cover, the closest one is BUPA but they are asking nearly $ 500 for a reasonable cover,

I would have thought that with pre existing conditions and traveling to the States $500 is pretty good.

We use World Nomads as they will cover expats that are already outside their own country. I deal with travel insurers and their emergency cases every day work at and there are some companies I wouldnt touch with a barge pole. World Nomads has a very good reputation.

I also liked that they were happy to put into writing that they would evacuate my Thai spouse to Australia if there was a medical emergency, rather than back into the Thai medical system. For many insurers this not the case, they will often only evacuate someone to their country of citizenship.

I used travel insurance in my younger days, however as I didn't die in a wrecked inferno spread across a bleak uncharted landscape I started to think, just maybe the chances of problems are actually small and that is how they make their money. So 30 years ago stopped using insurance completely, and guess what, it seems I am part of the majority that doesn't actually need it. Yes, yes, I know but what if it gets you next time? Saved enough over the years to pay for it many times over. Consider if the majority claimed (or were not cleverly refused) how do insurance companies make such substantial profits? Live in fear or just live. Not a go at Kojak, just a differing outlook.

I used travel insurance in my younger days, however as I didn't die in a wrecked inferno spread across a bleak uncharted landscape I started to think, just maybe the chances of problems are actually small and that is how they make their money. So 30 years ago stopped using insurance completely, and guess what, it seems I am part of the majority that doesn't actually need it. Yes, yes, I know but what if it gets you next time? Saved enough over the years to pay for it many times over. Consider if the majority claimed (or were not cleverly refused) how do insurance companies make such substantial profits? Live in fear or just live. Not a go at Kojak, just a differing outlook.

Tell that to the guy here who got hit on his scooter, spent 3 months in the hospital. Can't pay the bills so the police put him in the pokey the day he got out of the hospital. Me thinks insurance would have been a good thing?

I'm like you, have not used medical insurance for years, and I'm 55. My claim was for a robbery that happened to us while in Portugal. Paid for the insurance! But the reason I got the insurance was for medical expenses in case of an emergency.

We use World Nomads as they will cover expats that are already outside their own.

I've used World Nomads for years and whilst I never needed to make a claim, they seem to be ok.

Unfortunately now I have reached the ripe old age of 65 they will not provide me with cover.

We use World Nomads as they will cover expats that are already outside their own.

I've used World Nomads for years and whilst I never needed to make a claim, they seem to be ok.

Unfortunately now I have reached the ripe old age of 65 they will not provide me with cover.

Like fine wine, you're well aged!!

The Idea of not insuring oneself on a trip to the state thinking that " accidents happened to other people,

not to me" is too much of a wishful thinking,

I will keep looking and if i come across a policy that is suitable to my requirements i will

share it with all,

Work related aside, I've never carried insurance - but that's the way I roll. I understand your concern for states, I force my GF to buy ins. Last year was BUPA, this year is CENTRAL SMART INSURE underwritten by some group my GF recognizes as a big ins group here in Thailand.

Travel insurance is accident and emg treatment insurance, don't know why they would even cover you for anything that would fall under 'pre existing'. That is a proper plan.

You may have issues making a claim if you are US citizen, with temp Thai travel ins making a claim in US.

For travel insurance - look to UK, they have lots more on offer, travel and gap year kinda stuff. US is such a dinosaur.

Edited by bangkokburning