Question About Going To Conrad And Jungle Club With Toyota Fortuner

I am hoping that someone out there can help me out with this. I would like to go to the jungle club and conrad but I have been informed that you can only use 4X4 to go up the high hills for both places my question is, in the toyota fortuner there is 4 gears

H

HL

N

LL

Any idea on which one I am supposed to use to go up hill and then down the hill. Any help or comments or suggestions is needed. Thanks

I used to use low 4WD in my Suzuki jeep. The Fortuna in low would be a doddle. Its the 4WD bit that is important (so I was told by It at the Jungle Club). Sorry - I have not been to the Conrad in a vehicle, but if you can get to the Jungle Club there will not be a problem.

Toyota Fortuner in Thailand has permanent Four wheel drive.

If you put it in HL. Then you will be in high ratio four wheel drive with diff lock engaged

If you put it in LL you will be in Low ratio with diff lock engaged.

If it's in H that's just for normal driving.

For Jungle club it will go up just fine in H

For coming down, if you want some help from engine braking using the big gear shift ( the one on the right! ) in 2 or 1 should be more than enough. ( That's assuming it's an auto gearbox )

Cheers.

Edited by nod

we used to go jungle club on 125 honda 1st gear about 10 years ago,so low gear, as in 1st and slowly.

Since earlier this year, the road up to jungle club is concrete. Far easier now to get up and down. Going down, use lowest gear, and avoid breaking all the time. The brakes will heat up and start to fade, before you are at the bottom of the hill. Use engine breaking by choosing lowest gear. I don't know what kind of differential lock is used in the Fortuner, but generally be careful locking a diff on hard dry surfaces, as it will wear down your transmission. In corners both front tyres will want to rotate at the same speed. However the outside tyre needs to cover more distance in a turn. So the wheel will grind over the hard surface. At wet and soft surface, that is fine, but on a dry hard surface, it is not good. Anyway you will notice, by the complaining noise coming for your front wheels.

Don't know about road to Conrad. But the view from jungle club is worth it!

As far as I remember, there aren't any hills on the road to Conrad. I haven't been there for over 1 year but last time parts of the road leading to their construction wasn't paved yet. But it's only about the last 2 km or so where the road turns out from the main road towards Conrad. The roads to Thong Tanot and Phang Ka are all concrete and good.

As far as I remember, there aren't any hills on the road to Conrad. I haven't been there for over 1 year but last time parts of the road leading to their construction wasn't paved yet. But it's only about the last 2 km or so where the road turns out from the main road towards Conrad. The roads to Thong Tanot and Phang Ka are all concrete and good.

You're right, apart from the last 2-300 meters or so. I've done it on a pushbike, and it's insanely steep! When I first read this I assumed the OP was referring to some off road destination that only those with 4WD's have heard of.