Ritual Ceremony For New God Statute

Smokemachine

I don't think he said he wanted to get monks. He was curious as to if it were necessary or not.

No, it doesn't make a difference if you have monks come and bless it or not. It has to do more with your faith and conviction in the Buddha (different situations).

For the future, it may be wise to refrain from using the word 'God' or 'god' when referring to a Buddha image (it's inviting more debate, the definition of 'god', etc.)

Edited by hookedondhamma

Tibetan / Vajrayana Buddhist often take their statues and things to high lamas to be blessed and empowered. Maybe this is the PO's thought but I don't think Theravadins do this. True or not?

Tibetan / Vajrayana Buddhist often take their statues and things to high lamas to be blessed and empowered. Maybe this is the PO's thought but I don't think Theravadins do this. True or not?

Hi Jawnie. I can't speak for the whole but I have seen, both here and in the U.S. Thai Buddhists who have 'asked' for their Buddha image to be blessed by monks. I think it may be something you just may find everywhere.

Hi Jawnie. I can't speak for the whole but I have seen, both here and in the U.S. Thai Buddhists who have 'asked' for their Buddha image to be blessed by monks. I think it may be something you just may find everywhere.

Yes, I see it all the time, both in Thailand and the U.S. The people bring the statues to the temple, the monks wrap a white string around the statue, pass is down to the other monks sitting in the ceremony and do a blessing. I have been in several of these ceremonies.

Well, the usual practice is to give the Buddha statue to monks to pray and give blessing. But there are different type of statues so wondering is it will do just to ask the monk or the "white shirt" I don't know what the name.

Well, the usual practice is to give the Buddha statue to monks to pray and give blessing. But there are different type of statues so wondering is it will do just to ask the monk or the "white shirt" I don't know what the name.

I've never seen anyone in white shirts do any ceremonial stuff. But then again, I'm in the monastery at all hours of the day.

There are different statues according to the period of history, the country that made them, and then you have the 7 different postures for the days of the week, etc. But the truth is they're all of the Buddha, so they're all the same; though they may have different stories that accompany them.

Unless you really need it for personal comfort, if I were you I'd just be content with my reverence to the Buddha, which wouldn't be expanded or contracted by acquiring someone for its blessing. The real blessing comes from right practice and livelihood.

Remember at the end of the day, those of us who are Buddhist all bow down to the same Buddha.

I've never seen anyone in white shirts do any ceremonial stuff. But then again, I'm in the monastery at all hours of the day.

There are different statues according to the period of history, the country that made them, and then you have the 7 different postures for the days of the week, etc. But the truth is they're all of the Buddha, so they're all the same; though they may have different stories that accompany them.

Unless you really need it for personal comfort, if I were you I'd just be content with my reverence to the Buddha, which wouldn't be expanded or contracted by acquiring someone for its blessing. The real blessing comes from right practice and livelihood.

Remember at the end of the day, those of us who are Buddhist all bow down to the same Buddha.

Yea.. U are right

<snip>

Yea.. U are right

Now, you are just being a very naughty boy.

Beware, karma will catch up with you.

Oh, BTW, theoretically you can not exist because 0o Kelvin can not be reached.

A KelvinLow ... but not zero.

Why don't you leave these nice folks alone and teach me the intricate art of Trout fly fishing

flyfisherman.gif

... given your posting style ... I reckon you would be good at that ... and I'm hopeless.

Edited by David48

RE: God Statue

that's an interesting term!

my Thai language teacher refers to the Buddha in the wat as a Buddha statue.

my Thai wife says she was taught as a tour guide to refer to these creations as a Buddha images. The reasoning is that a statue is an actual representation of a person, whereas an image is a symbolic or stylized creation. Buddha images vary over time and cultures. No one knows what he really looked like. All represent not only the historical person but the Awakening he discovered and taught, it seems to me, and are therefore probably images.

This leaves me wondering, is it proper to say Buddha statue, or is that a patent misstatement?

P.S. I wouldn't say God Statue if you paid me!

RE: God Statue

that's an interesting term!

my Thai language teacher refers to the Buddha in the wat as a Buddha statue.

my Thai wife says she was taught as a tour guide to refer to these creations as a Buddha images. The reasoning is that a statue is an actual representation of a person, whereas an image is a symbolic or stylized creation. Buddha images vary over time and cultures. No one knows what he really looked like. All represent not only the historical person but the Awakening he discovered and taught, it seems to me, and are therefore probably images.

This leaves me wondering, is it proper to say Buddha statue, or is that a patent misstatement?

P.S. I wouldn't say God Statue if you paid me!

In the states I've heard everything with the exception of 'God Statue.' Then again, at my temple we English speakers just use the Thai equivalent. Then again, we picked up a whole new vocabulary of words in Thai, most likely because we'd never heard them in English.

I'd say use whatever you want, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others or yourself :-)

Hi

I think the Op may be referring to so called Buddhist statues and the brahmanical or Hindu ones such as Ganesh and the like.

Buddhist monks would probably only 'bless' the Buddhist ones, but many Buddhists, including monks, see no difference between Buddhist statues and Brahmanical ones.

Incidently no statue is regarded (by some Thais) as having any 'power' until it is blessed. So praying (yes praying) to an unblessed statue would be regarded as a waste of time.

What would the Buddha think about all this I wonder?

bankei