Thaksin Back In UK, Eyeing US

Lite Beer

Again, you're tripping. There is NO way that is going to happen. Period. Bet the house.

This is sounding more like a way to diss Obama. No president would get involved in a situation like this. It's diplomatic insanity.

Yep not even the Kennedy's.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Nation/Asia News Network

Sunday, Apr 29, 2012

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived in the United Kingdom on Friday night and would stay in that country for about a week, his spokesman said yesterday.

Noppadon Pattama, former foreign minister who also acts as Thaksin's legal adviser, said the fugitive former PM would travel to the UK more often although he would mostly live in the city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

"He will travel more frequently between London and Dubai. He feels comfortable while in England. He has a house in London and the city is a centre of the world's news and information. He is likely to travel more often to England but he will mainly live in Dubai, where people can meet him more conveniently," he said.

Noppadon said Thaksin was also considering travelling to the United States to meet his Thai supporters there.

This is the only source that I have found that actually states Thaksin is in the U.K.

However the source of the information given to the press is hardly the most reliable source that one could find or trust

The quote in question is nothing more than a mirror of comments already made by Noppadon who is the paid lackey of Thaksin, the truth may be somewaht different , time alone will tell.

Perhaps Amsterdam might open his mouth or perhaps Amsterdam isn't being retained any longer due to his poor performance.

Perhaps this might just be a better graphic statement.

jjj77.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Well the FACTS are Thaksin was a bail jumper and also prosecuted for fraud. He still has I believe an international warrant out for his arrest. He cannot claim that if he came back to Thailand and faced the courts that he would be politically discriminated against unfairly as after all it IS his political cronies in power here right now and with his sister as PM incredible though that is. So if he feels he is innocent then why does he not come back now and hand himself in to finally and fairly face an open minded and unbiased appeal court and stand by its results and serve any punishment imposed on him like a real man. He is at least 100% most definitely guilty of bail jumping and that IS a criminal offence on its own for sure.

SO WHAT IS THE UK DOING NOT ARRESTING HIM AND DEPORTING HIM BACK TO THAILAND?? Makes me ashamed to be British when they do this sort of disgusting thing as after all Britain is a complete member of Interpol and MUST respect international law irrespective of how much money the convict has, come on Britain get real will you!!!!!!!!!! Britain always makes a lot of noise when our escaped convicts are given refuge in other countries yet hipocritically they then allow a well known wanted fugitive refuge in the UK, IT IS JUST NOT ON, AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE no matter what your thoughts are on Thaksin as that is irrelevant as the facts say he IS a wanted fugitive and Britain as well as all Interpol signed up states must comply with the law..

OK calm down. I believe you have fallen for the democrat party lies hook line and sinker. There is no interpol red notice on Thaksin issued, there never was. The government of the time lied about it.

He has no chance of ever entering the USA. They know who he is.

Perhaps. But denying him entry would be a diplomatic statement considering the reality of who is the PM of Thailand at the moment. That's why I say if he does enter the U.S. he might as well book a direct flight to Thailand.

Knowing how corrupt the current government in the US (my home country) is I don't think they would bat an eye. Obama might even bow to him like he does to leaders of other governments.

how corrupt is the current US government, let's say, in comparison to the previous US government?

The answer would depend on who the person (who answered that question) voted for, I suspect..............

Well the FACTS are Thaksin was a bail jumper and also prosecuted for fraud. He still has I believe an international warrant out for his arrest. He cannot claim that if he came back to Thailand and faced the courts that he would be politically discriminated against unfairly as after all it IS his political cronies in power here right now and with his sister as PM incredible though that is. So if he feels he is innocent then why does he not come back now and hand himself in to finally and fairly face an open minded and unbiased appeal court and stand by its results and serve any punishment imposed on him like a real man. He is at least 100% most definitely guilty of bail jumping and that IS a criminal offence on its own for sure.

SO WHAT IS THE UK DOING NOT ARRESTING HIM AND DEPORTING HIM BACK TO THAILAND?? Makes me ashamed to be British when they do this sort of disgusting thing as after all Britain is a complete member of Interpol and MUST respect international law irrespective of how much money the convict has, come on Britain get real will you!!!!!!!!!! Britain always makes a lot of noise when our escaped convicts are given refuge in other countries yet hipocritically they then allow a well known wanted fugitive refuge in the UK, IT IS JUST NOT ON, AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE no matter what your thoughts are on Thaksin as that is irrelevant as the facts say he IS a wanted fugitive and Britain as well as all Interpol signed up states must comply with the law..

OK calm down. I believe you have fallen for the democrat party lies hook line and sinker. There is no interpol red notice on Thaksin issued, there never was. The government of the time lied about it.

PPP were in power when he was found guilty I believe.

On the whole I couldn't care less what he does but there is one part of this story that makes me mad;

"He has a house in London"

Prick. He and his ilk do so much to try and stop farangs owning a house in Thailand. I would assume all the politicians own houses outside of Thailand. A-holes.

Who's the Aresoles the UK or them, i know what i think, dont you just wish the UK was the same, i certainly do. Even if he wanted to lift it i doubt he would be allowed to, even as PM.

He will go there, and be welcomed with open arms. The US is consumed with greed and the prospect of welcoming his ill gotten gains will have the lobbyists in a feeding frenzy.

My guess is that the U.S. government will discreetly send him a signal NOT to come until he has "worked out" his legal problems in Thailand. We'll see. As usual, he is testing the waters.

I think we should first thank the US government. It is the one who sent a clear messages to the junta who took power after the military coup that if they still want to receive "help" money, Thailand should return to democracy as soon as possible.

Now the USA has problem on its own and don't want to be involved in Thailand internal problems. So I guess the message is clear, solve your problem by yourselves and please don't involve the USA, we have already enough problems on our own.

Of course they will let him in, they know in the not to distant future they will be dealing with him as PM of Thailand, Amreica does not have many friends in this region so near to China. He will be welomed with open arms. After all there maybe a whiff of a decent arms contract in the future, few more apache's, F16 etc.

USA has dealt with every corrupt regime going so why not him.

• Like 2

On the whole I couldn't care less what he does but there is one part of this story that makes me mad;

Prick. He and his ilk do so much to try and stop farangs owning a house in Thailand. I would assume all the politicians own houses outside of Thailand. A-holes.

He didn't start the fire...it was always burning since the world was turning...:)

I think we should first thank the US government. It is the one who sent a clear messages to the junta who took power after the military coup that if they still want to receive "help" money, Thailand should return to democracy as soon as possible.

Now the USA has problem on its own and don't want to be involved in Thailand internal problems. So I guess the message is clear, solve your problem by yourselves and please don't involve the USA, we have already enough problems on our own.

Did you forget to finish the sentence?

we have already enough problems of our own creation all around the world.

I can't really think that Thailand gets much help money from the US. Help with what? I don't think Thailand would crumble if the US did not hand out the 16m USD they did last year. What happens to it? Is it hush money to hide more secret cells? tea money for something or other such as keeping Chevron in its prime position? Subsidising the cordial agreement of trade to make sure only Americans can own a business here? Intriguing.

The reserves in the Gulf will be gone in 20 years at the latest, quicker if Chevron keeps drilling 200+ wells a year. The help will drift off soon

smile.png

Maybe this is why they can't be bothered to get involved; nothing here for them any more.

Edited by Pseudolus

hit the nail on the head there clap2.gif

Of course they will let him in, they know in the not to distant future they will be dealing with him as PM of Thailand, Amreica does not have many friends in this region so near to China. He will be welomed with open arms. After all there maybe a whiff of a decent arms contract in the future, few more apache's, F16 etc.

Couldn't agree with you more Marstons, and considering China just about owns the USA, maybe they'll put him up for president too....

You can pontificate all you want, but the facts remain, Obama will never meet with Thaksin as long as his legal problems remain active in Thailand. That is so obvious it isn't even debatable.

How can a prediction for the future be a fact? Surely something can only be a fact once it has happened or not happened up until that point in time?

I also predict Obama will not go on national television and announce he was actually born in Kenya. FACT. Answered?

Or that his familly tree is muslim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr.

You can pontificate all you want, but the facts remain, Obama will never meet with Thaksin as long as his legal problems remain active in Thailand. That is so obvious it isn't even debatable.

How can a prediction for the future be a fact? Surely something can only be a fact once it has happened or not happened up until that point in time?

I also predict Obama will not go on national television and announce he was actually born in Kenya. FACT. Answered?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr.

Exactly, double standards!

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia....rack_Obama,_Sr.

Why post such a thing that is a known fact? He doesn't need to go on t.v. about it. He wrote a best selling book about it. Geez! Bizarre.

Maybe he can pay some of the tax he owes the British Government while he is here?

Have you paid yours there? Or here?

London is full of foreigners buying up all the property and making it unaffordable for the locals so I agree with the last poster.

But... you are here aren't you... or at least aspire to be, no? You want to buy a house and land here but deny the same for someone who prefers the UK to Thailand?

Don't jump to conclusions...

He didn't start the fire...it was always burning since the world was turning...smile.png

The old karaoke kid might fancy banging out "I Am An Innocent Man' but not "Honesty"

Couldn't agree with you more Marstons, and considering China just about owns the USA, maybe they'll put him up for president too....

I think he already has his eye on a future presidency closer to home........

Edited by bigbamboo

Interesting link here concerning Thaksin and his finances dated 29th April 2012.

Could indeed explain a thing or two as to his actions , and possibly Amsterdam's silence, no money no honey !!

http://www.plushasia.com/article/1353

Thaksin down to his last 500 million U.S. $ ?

Maybe he can pay some of the tax he owes the British Government while he is here?

Have you paid yours there? Or here?

London is full of foreigners buying up all the property and making it unaffordable for the locals so I agree with the last poster.

But... you are here aren't you... or at least aspire to be, no? You want to buy a house and land here but deny the same for someone who prefers the UK to Thailand?

Pathetic reply - all people are asking for is equal treatment

Maybe for the honest few. The rest of them are just as bigotted and nationalistic as our hosts. They deserve each other.

I really do believe if Thailand would be more easy with foreign ownership off houses and residences this would boost the economy and increase cofidence from foreigners in Thailand. The current laws make it to risky for many to investment. Laws who prevent huge landpieces who can endanger food supply within Thailand I can understand, but all the rest is not fair. Thais can buy abroad. Farangs and expats here have to deal with risky and expensive loopholes. Neighboring countries are more easy and become more and more attractive. Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Birma are inviting retires and second house owners. Even in China a foreigner can buy. The houses and properties I talk about are not affordable for the average Thai. Only for the wealthy ones and with the current legislation Thailand only helps them, to become more wealthy. This is not at all beneficial to majority off Thais only to the happy few. The happy few can buy cheaply small plots from less fortunate Thais. Creating this way from several small plots one big one and sell it in a expensive and overpriced way as "freehold". There is no fair deal or competition for the small land or house owner. The market is exclusive for wealthy Thais.

Unless Burma has made changes in the last few weeks you are still only allowed 30 days visa. Because of the slow opening up of politics in Burma people think it has went fron closed off society to full open in only a few months. Hate too bust your bubble but not much has changed and retirees are not being welcomed with open arms. With all of it faults Thailand is still the best place too retire.Canbodia still abackwater 30 years behind thailand, Philippines lousy food and lots of crime, Laos communist, malaysia to many muslims, and Burma 30 years behind and military dictatorship.

It couldn't have been explained in a better way

unusually intelligent....great contribution

Well There is no mention of Thaksin being in London in the British media, so unless they no longer think of him as newsworthy I don't think he is here. If he is here he won't stay long, the weather is terrible, cold wet and strong winds. Definitely not the sort of weather to pop along to his other house in Guildford for a round of golf.

PPP were in power when he was found guilty I believe.

Yes indeed that is correct I had forgotten that so hardly would have been biased against him at the time with I remember even his brother-in-law as the PM (now his sister, just unbelievable if it wasn't for real) so the case against him must have been pretty damning if high level strings could not have as usual been pulled for him.

I am calm Phiphidon, but just bloody annoyed at the UK's hippocracy as usual when politicians in the UK have to resign even over relatively minor motoring offences when there is any doubt about untruths being told or shagging one of their secretaries. Just compare that to the serious crimes of bail jumping let alone fairly and justly convicted (yes when PPP were in power!!) of fraud against the Thai people and this country still unbelievably talk about him coming back and maybe back into Government. I find that totally incredible and I state that sincerely and truly even though I am firmly politically more aligned to the TRK/PPP/PTP party than to the more right wing but clearly far more credible Democrats.. I really did think that there was an international arrest warrant out for him so are you sure of your facts there stating there was never such a warrant?? Surely anyone who jumps bail would automatically have an international warrant for arrest issued. Anyway I am only repeating what I read here and in newspapers a few years ago about him being on the Interpol list but other than those reports there is no way I can prove whether this is factual or not, but then can you with your statement either ?? If so please quote the source of the info as I accept with no other reliable info that you may indeed be correct with what you say, but would like to know the true facts on this issue. Either way a bail jumper IS a criminal no matter whether he was even a PM or Judge or any other high up official, no question of that in anyone's mind unless folk really are deluding themselves about this creature.

Edited by rayw

I think you are wrong. In the UK, if you work hard, you can do anything you like. Just check out the Times Rich List issued today; take away the landed gentry and the rich imports of various nationalities, you are left with a lot of people who started with nothing, and are now loaded. Anything is possible if you work hard enough. There are also a lot of once rich people who have pissed it all away. Not wanting to start a Thatcher argument where I guess you would be on the "she is the antichrist" side of the fence, the area you worked in shows the danger of having all eggs in one basket; how you act when you face adversity.

Also, I would say that every country since records began have long-term mass-inequality; I struggle to think of a country that does not, as well as one where the common or garden chap on the street does not accept it, and therefore tolerate it. Even countries set up with a philosophy to stop this really are the prime examples of this.... China...soviet union as was....

I didn't like Thatcher much but I recognise that her government improved the UK economy hugely & were far better than the 80's Labour alternative. And I still consider Blair & his little coven were the worst leadership the UK ever had. Ironically my mining-estate was safer during the Thatcher years because the police were there arresting drunk ex-miners and telling people to go back home. Nowadays the police don't even want to go near that estate during night-time.

My contention stands : if you are a kid living on that estate, and you are being chased home from school by drug-addicts driving stolen cars who try to run you down for a laugh, and its too dangerous to walk the streets half the time, plus no jobs in the area and mass-alcoholism, bad home-life, the chances of you excelling as a business-leader is small. For many people in those areas it is simply survival one day to the next, unlike rich kids who can focus on their schooling and career direction, knowing they dont have to work to buy food etc. You mention there are many people on the rich list who are self-made and from poor backgrounds, there's also a lot of poor people who have won the Lottery and got rich that way, but the fact is that they are the tiny minority, I was talking about the majority of people from poor backgrounds.

I also don't hold up USSR or China as exmples of succesful meritocracy. However the first water-filters also failed but people kept trying to improve them until we got decent water-filters. I believe meritocracy & rule of law is the 'only game in town'. Thaksin is the opposite of meritocracy - he gives jobs to his family members ahead of people who are more worthy of those jobs. He considers himself above the law and 'untouchable', by that he undermines the second pillar of meritocratic lawful society. My point was that it is no surprise that the Uk government accepts him because white-collar crime is not a big deal unless the victims are in the Uk, and his money is always welcome anywhere. The fact he is he is guilty of not only white-collar crime, he also funded & headed an uprising which led to many deaths & injuries, but is also not an issue for the Uk since it was not in the Uk.

Edited by Yunla

Yes indeed that is correct I had forgotten that so hardly would have been biased against him at the time with I remember even his brother-in-law as the PM (now his sister, just unbelievable if it wasn't for real) so the case against him must have been pretty damning if high level strings could not have as usual been pulled for him.

I am calm Phiphidon, but just bloody annoyed at the UK's hippocracy as usual when politicians in the UK have to resign even over relatively minor motoring offences when there is any doubt about untruths being told or shagging one of their secretaries. Just compare that to the serious crimes of bail jumping let alone fairly and justly convicted (yes when PPP were in power!!) of fraud against the Thai people and this country still unbelievably talk about him coming back and maybe back into Government. I find that totally incredible and I state that sincerely and truly even though I am firmly politically more aligned to the TRK/PPP/PTP party than to the more right wing but clearly far more credible Democrats.. I really did think that there was an international arrest warrant out for him so are you sure of your facts there stating there was never such a warrant?? Surely anyone who jumps bail would automatically have an international warrant for arrest issued. Anyway I am only repeating what I read here and in newspapers a few years ago about him being on the Interpol list but other than those reports there is no way I can prove whether this is factual or not, but then can you with your statement either ?? If so please quote the source of the info as I accept with no other reliable info that you may indeed be correct with what you say, but would like to know the true facts on this issue. Either way a bail jumper IS a criminal no matter whether he was even a PM or Judge or any other high up official, no question of that in anyone's mind unless folk really are deluding themselves about this creature.

Now the truth that had been kept secret during the two and a half years when the Democrat-led government was in power has finally come to light when new Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul revealed that ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was never on the wanted list of International Police, or Interpol, from the start.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1046931

Thanks for that Phiphidon. Hmm but how reliable is that source I have to ask? There are, or certainly were, sources claiming the complete opposite so how do we know which to believe? Needs to come from a supposedly unbiased source like Interpol themselves but this would be unlikely to happen of course. Anyhow on has to ask why would Interpol refuse to issue the warrant at the request of a member state's police force?? He was a full judiciary Thai court tried and convicted person who had bail jumped, which in itself is surely enough to justify issuing an Interpol arrest warrant anyway.

All smells pretty stinky to me and makes you wonder if Interpol too can be brought off by immorally rich and corrupt fraudsters. What a <deleted> corrupt rotten world we seem to live in these days. When will honesty come back as the prevailing force for good hmm ?

Edited by rayw

Hope he's brought a brolly? The weather is lovely at the moment; drought to floods within a couple of weeks.

Som nam na UK

Too much wealth has been concentrated on the capital in my generation. The strongest nation on earth (Germany) has the right approach with a geographically distributed economy.