Thai Air Force Plane Skids Off Bangladesh Runway

Thai Air Force plane skids off Bangladesh runway

image_2012043018162602F73B2E-D282-F141-A6A50ECA0C631668.jpgimage_2012043018164102F775AC-AB0A-FB3F-C3D8BF7F75D182BF.jpg

DHAKA: -- A Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) transport aircraft carrying 15 people skidded off airport runway in Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka on Monday while it was landing, with two passengers reportedly suffering minor injuries, according to an RTAF spokesperson.

Thai Air Vice Marshal Monthon Satchukorn told Thai News Agency in an telephone interview from Dhaka that the RTAF ART72-500 was commissioned at Wing 6 at Don Mueang Air Force Base and was on a regular drill mission aboard.

He said the aircraft skidded off the runway while landing in Dhaka. It slipped to hit the concrete wall and the right wing was damaged.

Two pilots on a flight training mission were slightly injured, he said, adding that there were 15 pilots and engineers on the plane.

Marshal Monthon said the cause of the accident was not yet known, but that RTAF is sending a team of investigators to probe the incident as soon as possible.

The aircraft departed Don Mueang at 6am this morning on a training mission beginning today and ending Friday (April 30-May 4) and touched down at Dhaka at 9am and was to continue on leave to New Delhi, India.

Wing Commander Surasak Sukbang, Squadron 603 commander, led the training, he said.

The ATR72-500 aircraft is a twin-engine turboprop short-haul regional airliner built by the French-Italian aircraft manufacturer ATR. The RTAF has commissioned four ATR72-500 aircraft since 2009, each having a 30 passengers capacity. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-01

Looks dry. Mechanical failure or pilot error. No reverse thrust with props, so potential failed brakes. Either way, embarrassing for any military to have an engineering fault....particularly with that many pilots and engineers on board!

Looks dry. Mechanical failure or pilot error. No reverse thrust with props, so potential failed brakes. Either way, embarrassing for any military to have an engineering fault....particularly with that many pilots and engineers on board!

No reverse thrust. But they feather the props to aid braking.

Please google

ATR72-500 reverse thrust

and revise your comment.

The Landing Checklist of Atlantic Sun Airways says:

After Touchdown Apply Reverse Thrust, at 60 kts: Cancel Reverse Thrust

most likely the runway wasnt wide enough. similar to thai drivers where the road never seems to be wide enough, even if its two lanes. there is always the compulsion to come drive on the other side. i see in the picture there is a road that runs alongside the runway hence the thai pilots god given right to land there if he wants. I suspect it may be a genetic thing, thai culture and certainly not his fault. rolleyes.gif

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

"Two pilots on a flight training mission were slightly injured, he said, adding that there were 15 pilots and engineers on the plane."

They think that's proof of their innate intelligence but to my mind this is proof of the larger logistical problems with Thailand.

• Like 2

"Two pilots on a flight training mission were slightly injured, he said, adding that there were 15 pilots and engineers on the plane."

They think that's proof of their innate intelligence but to my mind this is proof of the larger logistical problems with Thailand.

And just how many of those other pilots do you think were on the flight deck at the time of the incident? Do think a little!

• Like 1

And just how many of those other pilots do you think were on the flight deck at the time of the incident? Do think a little!

That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making. I can only shake my head...

also if you look closely at the second picture. orange roof, looks uncanily like a somtam mobile shop. the pilot may have seen it and been distracted momentarily thus causing the skid. whistling.gif

Ah yes; looks like they were trying to stop by for fried noodles and misjudged it a bit.

Is that your professional opinion as a civil aviation engineer ?

• Like 1

Things happen. The email I received this morning indicated the co-pilot lost his marbles in a cross wind landing and it was a failed hand over to the Cpt.

Only takes 2-3 seconds of confusion. Essentially for a moment in this case you have two people fighting each other for control.

A little bit off subject, how cool is this though.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/video-boeing-727-deliberately-crashed-in-desert-for-tv-371267/

Note to Self, avoid airports near som tum shops when traveling on TG !!!

"The French manufactured Thai Air-force ATR72-500 that is operated by the Royal Thai Air Force was written off yesterday in a

crash in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. Airport sources said that a primary investigation revealed that at 8:51am (local) the pilot under instruction lost control of the aircraft because of a crosswind. Of the 15 people on board, eight were Thai Air Force pilots on a cross country familiarization exercise. They were flight planned to continue to Delhi the next day, 1st May."

With the french built ART72-500 all it takes is a halfway strong crosswind and they go off the track.

This is the same plane that did this same thing on Samui a year or so back..

I HATE THESE PLANES. Even on a good day they scare the piss out of me on landing.

I try to avoid EVER having to fly them, because you ALWAYS have to land sometime.

Pretty ironic that a plane load of thai pilots crashes.

But not surprising with this plane.

Edited by animatic

Please google

ATR72-500 reverse thrust

and revise your comment.

The Landing Checklist of Atlantic Sun Airways says:

After Touchdown Apply Reverse Thrust, at 60 kts: Cancel Reverse Thrust

Pleased to be corrected. Even more embarrassing for the Thai Air Force then.

• Like 1

Again, pleased to be corrected. Though all you have actually done is try to belittle me and provide nothing of use yourself. Well done to you. I trust you sat back in your chair with your chest all puffed out and then.....

• Like 1

most likely the runway wasnt wide enough. similar to thai drivers where the road never seems to be wide enough, even if its two lanes. there is always the compulsion to come drive on the other side. i see in the picture there is a road that runs alongside the runway hence the thai pilots god given right to land there if he wants. I suspect it may be a genetic thing, thai culture and certainly not his fault. rolleyes.gif

w00t.gif Do you mean drunk flying?smile.png

Yeah, you should probably go back to your home country where the pilots drive better huh?

I didnt know anybody went to Bangladesh.cheesy.gif

On a serious note, Cox's Bazar on the coast is supposed to be quite nice and perhaps some of the less populated areas as well.

Again, pleased to be corrected. Though all you have actually done is try to belittle me and provide nothing of use yourself. Well done to you. I trust you sat back in your chair with your chest all puffed out and then.....

Aww you got me thumbsup.gif

Not many folks do go to Bangladesh --they visit them in Bradford or Brick Lane London. Looking at the sleeping aircraft, in the foreground looks like a motor bike lane, if it is then he was going opposite to the flow of traffic. Could the crew be looking for asylum ???? one way to do it.

probably all 15 of them
  • Like 1

Feathering aligns the blades with the airflow to reduce drag and is used in the event of an engine failure on one wing. Fine (flat) pitch would aid braking if reverse pitch was not available.

Edited by laobali

Feathering aligns the blades with the airflow to reduce drag and is used in the event of an engine failure on one wing. Fine (flat) pitch would aid braking if reverse pitch was not available.

Excuse me my bad I'm going to have to change my morning drink. Good to see a educated or resarched answer.