Postage From Home - Customs Fee

Jimjim1968

Hi,

I get parcels from my mum a few times a year, and it's always good fun.

The fun has gone out of this activity, actually I have asked her not to send any more, due to the new custom fees I now have to pay.

It used to be 7baht at the gate to the postie.

These days, there is no notification. My wife and my mum track the parcel. The last one had been sitting in the post office for 6 weeks. Went I went down to get them (2 parcels together) they stung me for 2,000 baht.

The only word I got out of them was :"customs".

Every parcel encounters this problem now, so, not being too rich, I have, sadly, called it a day.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Could be something to do with the value of contents your Mum is entering on the customs label. No matter what the value is tell her to mark a low amount, about 15 quid if from England, then customs don't bother with them. I receive a parcel every month and have never had a problem and have never even been asked for this mystery 7 Baht.

• 6 months later...

This thread is a little old, but my question is the exact same topic.

I have also received packages with no customs fees, even somewhat recently in early 2012. I once had a very large package delivered that was worth $300, but I don't remember now how the shop marked it on customs...I did pay a tax but it wasn't exorbitant.

Recently my friend sent me a package that was actually something I'd ordered to have delivered to HIS place when I was visiting home. There was a shipping delay and I didn't receive it before returning to Thailand--super annoying. He ended up enclosing a small gift with it, putting it in a larger box, and the only thing I written on the customs form is the gift (not the box of clothes I ordered, which he hadn't opened anyway).

It was 580 baht in tax. He's already paid $20 in shipping. It's just too much! I'll check around for other paperwork, but there were 3 copies of the sheet that says "customs" and only lists "gift."

By the way, this isn't happening in reverse, is it? When I send valuable packages to the US, I mark their actual value! Are my friends/family paying a tax and just not telling me? I assume not as I've never paid before, but this has me worried.