Inflation In Thailand

In the paper that cannot be quoted there is an opinion piece about the latest set of inflation figures published by the government, showing April's inflation rate at 2.47%, which seems to belie the general belief that inflation is rising rapidly and has the potential for getting out of control.

The Commerce Minister insisted that their figures were correct and based them on two food items which they said had actually fallen. He then invited reporters to accompany him to the market to prove the point. Unfortunately the reverse was the case; the food items were more than the examples he used in his basket of items. Apparently the reporters omitted to disclose that. Do any financial services companies publish more realistic inflation figures for Thailand?

Inflation is different for everyone, so some people may see prices rising but others may not, depending on what sort of thing they usually buy. Some things just be going up in price, but personally I haven't noticed any price rises. There may be the odd thing that's a little more expensive sometimes, but I don't spend any more than i did this time last year. What do people perceive to be going up in price? and what things are going down in price?

Just one example - the laptop I just bought is better spec but much cheaper than the one I bought three years ago. That saving more than makes up for minor increases in some other things.

Also, rental prices on condos don't seem to be any higher than a year or two ago. I'm actually paying less for a better place. Could just be be that i made more of an effort to find somewhere, but prices don't seem to be increasing in the condo market.