Chiang Mai Among Top Global Destinations

webfact

I'm a Chiang Mai fan, I don't think there are many places in the world between October and the start of the Smokey season. That's when the majority of travellers visit the city. At that time of year the city and surroundings are outstanding, during the Smokey season it's a tragedy and the tourists bail out, but then for a while in April it returns to being magical, Songkran is amazing in CM.

Once they sort out the air links CM will seriously take off as a winter tourist destination, and if they can sort the smoke problem ( unlikely ) it will extend the season by another 6 weeks.

CM I love you!!! wub.png

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Siam Reap?

Siem Reap of Angkor Wat fame

yes and?

I know maybe a handful people who know Angkor Wat and I know a thousand who love Pataya and come there every year. (more the lonely males)

So I doubt that statistic.

Sounds like you know a top quality group of people

If you look at the destinations on the list, you will see some

great locations that offer great experiences to the tourists.

What does pattaya have to offer?

We all know what Pattaya has to offer, don´t we?tongue.png

Many travellers are like sheep they go with the flock, never strike out into the unknown, just package tours and package holidays, attractively sold and discounted to the punters. This list is better named the top 50 best hyped destinations.

I thought that Trip Adviser catered mainly(about 90%) for Back Packers so the survey could be right as all the places have hundreds of cheap,cheap Back Packer Hostels and Homestays. Think about it.

I thought that Trip Adviser catered mainly(about 90%) for Back Packers so the survey could be right as all the places have hundreds of cheap,cheap Back Packer Hostels and Homestays. Think about it.

I agree

Siam Reap?

yes and?

I know maybe a handful people who know Angkor Wat and I know a thousand who love Pataya and come there every year. (more the lonely males)

So I doubt that statistic.

So few people know of the two cultural centres in Asia, it's shameful isn't it!

Edited by chiang mai

Maybe our American friends on here could tell us why Chicago rates so high? By International travellers?

Maybe I have missed out by never going there.

Most Us cities save New York, San Francisco, Los Angles, San Diego, and a few more on the eastern seaboard all look the same.

You are not really missing to much.

• Like 2

Backpackers like low-cost travel, and many of those destinations are definitely not cheap, e.g. Sydney and Tokyo.

It's interesting that neither Bangkok nor Phuket are on either list.

Siam Reap?

Siem Reap - The Defeat of Siam. (Is this correct?)

Just about correct.

Siem/Siam. Reap/ree-up, flattened,leveled.

The town was named for Cambodian victories over the Thai in the late 16th century when they took advantage of Thai weakness brought on by the Burmese sacking of Ayudhya in 1569.

Siam Reap<Angkor Complex> deserves that spot if you have ever been there it is amazing it is also a good value for the money.That area is testament to human achievement on a global scale. It is a diamond in the rough of still squalid Cambodia. I like Chiang Mai<Whole region too> also I spend 6 days there every Song Kran and Lo Katong there a really great city especially in the old town at night riding bikes. Pattaya has hookers but that is pretty much everywhere in Thailand so it really does not count as a unique destination.

17/25 lived in 3 13/25 lived in 1 <HCMC is a dump! at least it was when I lived there>

Edited by BigRick

Maybe our American friends on here could tell us why Chicago rates so high? By International travellers?

Most Us cities save New York, San Francisco, Los Angles, San Diego, and a few more on the eastern seaboard all look the same.

You are not really missing to much.

Chicago is considered one of the top cities in the world by ARCHITECTS. The skyline by the massive lake is ... awesome. It has also emerged as a great restaurant city. Even foreigners should check out Wrigley Field for a baseball game and to explore the phenom of American fatalism in Cubs fandom! It is a good destination for international tourists also (except winter) because you get both the expected international melting pot but also the great metropolis of the American heartland. Plus an interesting public transport system in the "L" and remarkable commuter train system as Chicago is the railways hub of the nation. (Also on offer, great museums, good theater scene, famous Blues music scene, fun nightlife.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

They obviously don't come during the burning season or they don't like breathing.

And they have been led around with blinkers on as they also obviously don't see the mountains of stinking trash dumped by the roadside everywhere outside of the old city - where it seems some attempt for appearances and face is made to keep it clean and trash free.

Now it's world traveler showoff time.thumbsup.gif

How many of the top world 25 have you been to? (17 of 25)

How many have you lived in as a resident? 3

I'm impressed!

I used to be in the travel business and can only manage 15 but I have lived in 4, London, Chiang Mai plus Paris and Florence short term..

I'm a Chiang Mai fan, I don't think there are many places in the world between October and the start of the Smokey season. That's when the majority of travellers visit the city. At that time of year the city and surroundings are outstanding, during the Smokey season it's a tragedy and the tourists bail out, but then for a while in April it returns to being magical, Songkran is amazing in CM.

Once they sort out the air links CM will seriously take off as a winter tourist destination, and if they can sort the smoke problem ( unlikely ) it will extend the season by another 6 weeks.

CM I love you!!! wub.png

Blether is of course mistaken, CM is a dreadful place to live and the burning/polution problem is dire. It's boring here because there's no girlie bars and it's overcrowded and there's no beach, there's lots of other stuff wrong with the place so if I were you I definitely wouldn't bother visiting, comming to live or retiring here, please!

(Blether, toe the party line on this point in future, do you want the place overun with Pattayaites? Only negative reports from this point on, understood?)

Oh sorry, I thought it was Shanghia they were talking about, oh no, don't go to Chiang Mai. It's a terrible place. I hate it. sick.gif

Some people here seem to forget that Tripadvisor is, above all, a business, not a non-profit organisation....

I bet you can buy your way up on that list!

(Otherwise Amsterdam would have been in the top 25 too, perhaps even in the top 10 but we Dutch are known for our stinginess...)

Chicago is an amazing city, on an inland sea, amazing architecture and people actually live in the city centre, unlike most US cities. Shame about the surroundings unless you like flat and dull. If only it could be moved a few hundred miles east or west.....

London?

Now it's world traveler showoff time.thumbsup.gif

How many of the top world 25 have you been to? (17 of 25)

How many have you lived in as a resident? 3

No intent to brag or BS but I seem to score 23/25 of world destinations (Shanghai & Buenos Aires to go) and 17/25 of Asian. Only lived in 3.

Travel is a highly addictive drug!

Heaven knows how CM got on the list, must have cost TAT a fortune.

London?

Not sure you see too many backpackers in Bora-Bora either!

Chicago is an amazing city, on an inland sea, amazing architecture and people actually live in the city centre, unlike most US cities. Shame about the surroundings unless you like flat and dull. If only it could be moved a few hundred miles east or west.....

I worked in Chicago for a few years and what JT and folium says is a pretty good assessment. Regarding the surroundings, it's not that much of a drive to some very nice camping sites. Also, some very nice parks and the Lake Shore Drive beaches in the city. Though on a long weekend I would often drive up to Toronto which, at the time, was a great place to visit.