Work Permit, Syphilis Test.

Why all the concern over having to get a Syphilis test for a work permit.

Are you scared of needles or possibly the results. The cost should not be of no concern.

Do you really not understand the concerns about irrational requirements by a foreign govt on people trying to work in that country?

What puzzles me most is that my wife had to take this test to work with 2-3 year olds. I was under the distinct impression that syphilis is sexually transmitted...so how does that affect working with 2-3 year olds? Is it thought that having "relations" with this age group is OK as long as you DON'T give them a nasty infection?

It's because everyone has to do it.

As someone posted it's aimed at people from surrounding countries where so many of the girls work as waitresses or in the hotel industry. Jobs where the girls are well known to do extra work.

Everyone should look at it as a good thing as you wouldn't know if you had it otherwise, this way you know you have it within a year and can cure it before it gets to the incurable stage.

Several nonsense posts removed. Although reason is open to question the fact is other countries are experiencing an increase and it is highly contagious in early stages, which is what the new check is for, and it is treatable so probably a good thing all around.
Several nonsense posts removed. Although reason is open to question the fact is other countries are experiencing an increase and it is highly contagious in early stages, which is what the new check is for, and it is treatable so probably a good thing all around.
I think you should state your sources - don't you?
The requirement syphilis testing was introduced because of the high incidence of infection in the migrant labour force from neighbouring countries, primarily Cambodia & Myanmar both of which have experienced a big increase in transmission, so Lopburi is right. If you don't want to believe it, that's fine. You can look up your own sources.

This is exactly what the doctor who tested me at Sukhumvit Hospital told me.

Are you scared of needles or possibly the results. The cost should not be of no concern.

Do you really not understand the concerns about irrational requirements by a foreign govt on people trying to work in that country?

How can you say they are irrational requirements.

Many (most in fact) countries have requirements for a medical exams to confirm that an applicant has no communicable deceases for visas that allow you to work and/or stay for a period of time.

How can you say they are irrational requirements.

Many (most in fact) countries have requirements for a medical exams to confirm that an applicant has no communicable deceases for visas that allow you to work and/or stay for a period of time.

Irrational - why single out Syph 3?

The requirement syphilis testing was introduced because of the high incidence of infection in the migrant labour force from neighbouring countries, primarily Cambodia & Myanmar both of which have experienced a big increase in transmission, so Lopburi is right. If you don't want to believe it, that's fine. You can look up your own sources.

...and this is palpable nonsense.

...and this is palpable nonsense.

Possibly; I'm just reporting what I was told by my doctor. However, a quick search suggests he's far more likely to be correct than you!

"According to the Phamit2 project manager, the Pattanarak Foundation plans to initially focus on HIV testing among migrant worker populations, and then move on to testing for syphilis.

Saw Abow reported to IMNA that after conducting testing in three provinces – Ubonrathani, Kanchanaburi, and Kalasin – Pattanarak medics confirmed 11,000 syphilis cases, signaling a serious need for sex/STI- related education in all three regions.

The Pattanarak Foundation, which is run under the Phamit2 program, is supported by Global Fund in its fight against HIV/AIDS and syphilis within disadvantaged populations in Thailand."

http://democracyforb...-survey-claims/

Edited by lopburi3
Remove Bangkok Post quote per forum rules

I cant understand the concern with this matter. I am more than happy to comply with reasonable requests required by the law of the land.

I recently renewed my WP (this is the second year I have been required to provide a blood test for Syph, I am employed by the Thai Govt.). 150 baht reimbursed by my employer.

Though I was fairly confident I didnt have it I can now be sure. If I did have it then I would be grateful to know anyhow so as I may accept life saving treatment, then re-test. I fail to see how this test can cause a problem for anyone. I accept that it is a dangerous disease on the rise in neighbouring countries and quick research will confirm this. Any effort to stop it must surely be welcomed. So far the arguments purported by those against the test on this forum fail to convince me. Perhaps it is an attack on my privacy then again I have the choice if I wish to work here or not.