Aussie Dsp

sandgroper2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we goooooooooo....welfare bashing...the right of the right...everyone on welfare is cast in the same mold...if you can live on those payments in Australia then your a miracle worker, magician even, thoughtless ignorant pigs a lot of you guys are.

They make it dam tough for people to get those payments, they make it dam hard and its next to nothing. And what about jacking up the retirement age? how about us guys in the trades with worn out shoulder joints working to 70?...

Armchair critics worried about a few scams that get by, why dont you hunt down corruption in politics and police force with the same zeal.

Im going home in a few months and if my shoulders dont come good im going for a DP and i wanna live here casue i dont have pain in the hot weather.....................You rednecks...new right....far right....make me sick to my stomach

They dont have warm weather in Oz then?smile.png

Granted some areas in the winter become very cold indeed, but this is usually the time that grey nomads migrate further north.

Doesnt this apply for under 35's ?

To head north, the rent would be more than the DSP.Fact.

I would think it depends on the severity of your illness as whether to seek medical treatment here. Health care in Thailand for farangs isn't cheap IMO, especially if you want a decent standard of care and not in a government hospital. A friend of mine was diagnosed with bone cancer recently, the treatment in Thailand would have sent him bankrupt, he had no choice but to return to Australia.

Right, I should clarify. When I said cheaper you (they) need to take into account the cost of travelling back to Australia (quite possibly return tickets not just for themseves but also partner and possibly children, accommodation in the relevant city, etc. And what about if follow-up treatment was necessary?So taking advantage of "free" health care is not always such an attraction as some might at first think.

Obviously the costs would need to be weighed up, in my friends case the cost for chemo, bone marrow transplants, lengthy hospital stays, injections at over $1000 a pop has already hit the several hundred thousand dollars mark.

Bone marrow transplants are costed about $250,000 to $300,000.

You can knock to OZ health care system all you like, especially when it doesn't give you the rolls royce service off the bat. But it is world class, and it provides more than most at cost per patient that is a whole lot less that most other places.

I have roto cuff tendonitis , both shoulders, there is a 30 month wait before i can get operated on.

Here we goooooooooo....welfare bashing...the right of the right...everyone on welfare is cast in the same mold...if you can live on those payments in Australia then your a miracle worker, magician even, thoughtless ignorant pigs a lot of you guys are.

They make it dam tough for people to get those payments, they make it dam hard and its next to nothing. And what about jacking up the retirement age? how about us guys in the trades with worn out shoulder joints working to 70?...

Armchair critics worried about a few scams that get by, why dont you hunt down corruption in politics and police force with the same zeal.

Im going home in a few months and if my shoulders dont come good im going for a DP and i wanna live here casue i dont have pain in the hot weather.....................You rednecks...new right....far right....make me sick to my stomach

They dont have warm weather in Oz then?smile.png

Granted some areas in the winter become very cold indeed, but this is usually the time that grey nomads migrate further north.

Doesnt this apply for under 35's ?

To head north, the rent would be more than the DSP.Fact.

We are not talking rent we are talking homes on wheels fact!biggrin.png

giddyup...what a stupid statement....between welfare bashing and income of tradesman...shows you want a moron you really are...you got no idea.

Generalizing with no known facts you shoot your big mouth off......

I hope one day soon you need to go on DP or retire early and have to live on the crap they wanna dish out to you.

I don't actually see any constructive criticism here, just verbal diarohhea. I'm a moron because you don't want to hear what I have to say? Instead of just firing off abuse try to be a little more creative and actually present a valid argument.

Edited by giddyup

Obviously this is to prevent the scam that previously existed where Aussies on DSP were spending 13 weeks (max. allowed) in Thailand, returning to Oz for a few days and then flying back for another 13 weeks. I'm glad they are closing the loophole. Getting granted a DSP by Centrelink is far too easy and too many people are taking advantage of the situation.

Hey mr giddyup.

How many times have you applied for the disability support pension,was it granted and if it was granted,were you taking advantage of the situation? If you never applied , how do you know?

I didn't think so.

No doubt privately funded Australian retirees are quite happy to spend their tax payer supported superannuation overseas so I can't see why they should begrudge a DSP recipient who also contributed to his pension with his taxes.

Those that do should work out how much they got back in tax refunds on their super payments over the years.

Australia also welcomes the contributions to the economy by foreign retirees living there who have no restrictions on where they spend their money.

Recent figures show this is more than twice what Aussie pensioners spend living overseas if the Old Age Pension is included.

The outraged should take comfort that the new legislation will make the DSP much more difficult to achieve and those who do manage to get on it will face stricter work requirements.

Anyone requiring more information and a discussion environment free from ill informed comments give me a PM.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

I would like to introduce some civility and argument based on facts into the discussion.

On the internet I have looked but have been unable to find the answer to the following question ...

How long after you have been assessed as qualified for the DSP do you have to resubmit for a work assessment test?

Or ... does permeant, mean just that ... once assessed as 'unfit' to work, then never does the welfare recipient have to resubmit for the 'work test' ?

Just so that it's clear, my opinion on the subject is that … welfare, of ANY form, is a privilege and not a right BUT there is certainly a place for welfare in a caring compassionate society.

Obviously this is to prevent the scam that previously existed where Aussies on DSP were spending 13 weeks (max. allowed) in Thailand, returning to Oz for a few days and then flying back for another 13 weeks. I'm glad they are closing the loophole. Getting granted a DSP by Centrelink is far too easy and too many people are taking advantage of the situation.

Hey mr giddyup.

How many times have you applied for the disability support pension,was it granted and if it was granted,were you taking advantage of the situation? If you never applied , how do you know?

I didn't think so.

How do I know what? Don't understand your question. If you mean how do I know it's easy to get a DSP? You only have to look at how many got a DSP last year, 13,000. BTW, I'm 69 living here on a superannuation pension, plus a small top-up OAP.

Edited by giddyup

Hey mr giddyup.

I didn't think so.

How do I know what? Don't understand your question. I'm 69 living here on a superannuation pension, plus a small top-up OAP.

Giddyup, wasnt the OP's post in relation to people aged 35 and under on DSP?

Rather than yesterdays rant, I would have thought it preferable to explain your "beef" with DSP.

So from what I gather you are a self funded retiree with a small top up pension is that correct? Are you extracting too much from your Super fund hence your small OAP?

Nothing critical about your post Giddyup, but I genuinely would like to learn please.

Eddie

No doubt privately funded Australian retirees are quite happy to spend their tax payer supported superannuation overseas so I can't see why they should begrudge a DSP recipient who also contributed to his pension with his taxes.

Those that do should work out how much they got back in tax refunds on their super payments over the years.

Australia also welcomes the contributions to the economy by foreign retirees living there who have no restrictions on where they spend their money.

Recent figures show this is more than twice what Aussie pensioners spend living overseas if the Old Age Pension is included.

The outraged should take comfort that the new legislation will make the DSP much more difficult to achieve and those who do manage to get on it will face stricter work requirements.

Anyone requiring more information and a discussion environment free from ill informed comments give me a PM.

+1 well said

Hey mr giddyup.

I didn't think so.

How do I know what? Don't understand your question. I'm 69 living here on a superannuation pension, plus a small top-up OAP.

Giddyup, wasnt the OP's post in relation to people aged 35 and under on DSP?

Rather than yesterdays rant, I would have thought it preferable to explain your "beef" with DSP.

So from what I gather you are a self funded retiree with a small top up pension is that correct? Are you extracting too much from your Super fund hence your small OAP?

Nothing critical about your post Giddyup, but I genuinely would like to learn please.

Eddie

I don't see anywhere he mentions people under 35. My "beef" as you put it, is with people exploiting the system, I don't care if it's dole bludgers or DSP rorters.

Yes, my super pension is assessed by Centrelink as income and my OAP is reduced accordingly. My super pension is paid as a set amount (indexed to CPI), I have no say as to how much I get every month, that was determined when I retired by how much I'd contributed.

I am 62 and on a DSP (not by choice) with a small top up from a small super saving, I found it difficult and stressfull to get and people who lable me a bludger, well they can kiss my A**, worked hard and paid my tax since i was 15

I don't condone the rorters either, There were 136 Centrelink officers charged with fraud last year. They (Government) try to keep this quiet it just dosnt look good.

I am 62 and on a DSP (not by choice) with a small top up from a small super saving, I found it difficult and stressfull to get and people who lable me a bludger, well they can kiss my A**, worked hard and paid my tax since i was 15

It kinda depends if your a bludger or not (wonder what that word means but i think i do). If you tried other jobs and just could not do anything else and could not be re schooled. Then no your not a bludger.

If you were 30 when you got in it and you never re schooled and just thought it was your god given right then yea IMHO your a bludger. I think DSP is there for the people in need and it should always be there. To keep it good for those really in need they need to weed out the bludgers.

It kinda depends if your a bludger or not (wonder what that word means but i think i do). If you tried other jobs and just could not do anything else and could not be re schooled. Then no your not a bludger.

If you were 30 when you got in it and you never re schooled and just thought it was your god given right then yea IMHO your a bludger. I think DSP is there for the people in need and it should always be there. To keep it good for those really in need they need to weed out the bludgers.

bludger [ˈblʌdʒə]

n Austral and NZ informal

1. a person who scrounges

2. a person who avoids work

3. a person in authority regarded as ineffectual by those working under him

Worked in the civil industry since 15 years old ended up supervising, serious heart problems, company insurers and WPH&S crap make me unemployable and why should I retrain now

Worked in the civil industry since 15 years old ended up supervising, serious heart problems, company insurers and WPH&S crap make me unemployable and why should I retrain now

No need in That case, my dad got heart problems too. He went to a less stressful job and worked less days a week. That worked for him would not work for everyone. But he enjoys his job that might also be a point.

giddyup...what a stupid statement....between welfare bashing and income of tradesman...shows you want a moron you really are...you got no idea.

Generalizing with no known facts you shoot your big mouth off......

I hope one day soon you need to go on DP or retire early and have to live on the crap they wanna dish out to you.

It seems quite easy to get DSP in Oz, if your a tradesman and your arm is shot you can try some other jobs where i come from. It wasn't like that before but now it is. (good too) I mean just because your shoulder does not work does not mean there isnt anything else you can do.

I feel that DSP and stuff are only for those in real need and that really cannot do any work anymore.

It isn't easy Robb. My mother who had polio as a child, and now the after affects of it are flaring up in her 60's can't get on it and centrelink have defined her as fit to work, despite the fact that her left side is pretty weak. What keeps her going is that she's an natutally energetic person.

But others do point out, it can appear to be 'easy' to get on it. Sure, there are the dodgy doctors and there are also those who know how to scam the system.

One of the reasons is that that so many people do get onto DSP is that there is not always an effective 'half way house' in the welfare system between unemployment benefits and the DSP.

As such, the DSP becomes a long term 'dumping ground' for longer term unemployed - and on DSP there is little obligation to try and find work. A dirty little secret from both sides of politics...putting people on DSP artifically lowers the unemployment levels.

And as the DSP pays more, it is catching up on the budget bottom line.

Before in the Netherlands we had something similar where our form of DSP was used as a dumping ground for unemployed and with little checks if they could really work. In the end it was no long affordable and people were checked again now more stringent.

I am all for helping those in need but the abuse of the system just makes me angry. By abusing it they punish the people who really need it.

Like edwinclapham said im all for people who have worked for 45+ years but at 35 and being able to live outside the country is crazy of course. At that age you can easily go for a career change. Seems the good always suffer under the bad.

It's the same in all Europe nowadays especially Britain where the benefit system is destroying the economy and attracting foreign scroungers by the plane load. Our welfare system exceeds our income tax bill so more and more taxes are being introduced. Your increasingly liberal politics will eventually destroy your country and destroy its work ethic. Wait till the demand from China for your minerals collapses.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

what do you have that makes you dsp?

Think people are not seeing the forest for the trees, whether john Smith is fit or not to work is not what this is all about. Joe Hockey has said that Australia should not be following the European welfare system, but should follow the Asian system. They are not just changing the DSP, but hacking in to all the social security. Seems that even though I have worked since I was 15 and moved to Thailand at 53 years old, I will not be eligable for the OAP as I will be classed as a non resident.

People forget that the original system was like the UKs, you paid into a pension fund. The Government just took the money and changed the rules. What we will end up with is a system where you will work until you die and if there is no work you will live in a box eating from soup kitchens.

The Government has acted no differently than the banks in the GFC, they screwed up and now want someone else to pay and that someone is the tax payers and the poor. Jim

Think people are not seeing the forest for the trees, whether john Smith is fit or not to work is not what this is all about. Joe Hockey has said that Australia should not be following the European welfare system, but should follow the Asian system. They are not just changing the DSP, but hacking in to all the social security. Seems that even though I have worked since I was 15 and moved to Thailand at 53 years old, I will not be eligable for the OAP as I will be classed as a non resident.

People forget that the original system was like the UKs, you paid into a pension fund. The Government just took the money and changed the rules. What we will end up with is a system where you will work until you die and if there is no work you will live in a box eating from soup kitchens.

The Government has acted no differently than the banks in the GFC, they screwed up and now want someone else to pay and that someone is the tax payers and the poor. Jim

You may find the following info I received via an email from Centrelink of interest.

A customer does not have to remain an Australian resident to continue to receive Age Pension while overseas and the overseas absence can be for any reason. For both temporary and permanent departures, the rate of payment after 26 weeks will paid at a proportional rate calculated by using the person's own Australian working life residence (WLR)

If a person has more than the maximum WLR of 25 years, the rate of pension will not be affected. If a person has no WLR (for example, they arrived in Australia after reaching age pension age) then the proportional rate will be nil and payment will cease 26 weeks after departure from Australia.

For permanent departures, only the basic pension and Pension Supplement Basic amounts are paid. Any add-on payments received, such as Rent Assistance (RA), will be cancelled from the date of departure. For temporary departures the supplements will stop after 13 weeks

If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure.

• Like 1

You may find the following info I received via an email from Centrelink of interest.

A customer does not have to remain an Australian resident to continue to receive Age Pension while overseas and the overseas absence can be for any reason. For both temporary and permanent departures, the rate of payment after 26 weeks will paid at a proportional rate calculated by using the person's own Australian working life residence (WLR)

If a person has more than the maximum WLR of 25 years, the rate of pension will not be affected. If a person has no WLR (for example, they arrived in Australia after reaching age pension age) then the proportional rate will be nil and payment will cease 26 weeks after departure from Australia.

For permanent departures, only the basic pension and Pension Supplement Basic amounts are paid. Any add-on payments received, such as Rent Assistance (RA), will be cancelled from the date of departure. For temporary departures the supplements will stop after 13 weeks

If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure.

The bottom line is the killer and I read somewhere that if you have not resided in Australia for 2 years prior to appling it may not be granted. Jim

I think that people who want to comment on the OAP should go to this link as there might be others there that are interested in your comments.

This is about the new rules being introduced for the Australian DSP, which is completely different.

The link to the OAP thread is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/163135-australian-aged-pension/page__st__650

Sorry if this offends any one , but this is my two bobs worth.

Why dont we just cancel everything...each to his own survival of the fittest...get you armalite and 10,000 rounds a concert bunker and a years supply of food.

Of course we can expect a tax cut cant we? no more council rates, just pay for water used forget about maintenance of streets parks and gardens and sewerage system, have 10 kids to support us in our old age or when our backs are broken.....yeah it could be a good solution especially for the guys who disposable of human getting so ill that they need government assistance.

Unless I am missing something, there has never been a fund. All taxes simply went into consolidated revenue.

http://www.abs.gov.a...78!OpenDocument

Here is the kicker, and a dissapointing kicker for most.

Your (and my) taxes were never set aside in a seperate account and saved for us. What we paid in our taxes during our working lives were used to pay others peoples pensions.

When you reach retirement, it will be the taxes of those in the work force funding your OAP/DSP

So unless you had a private pension via your company (which is probably unfunded anyway!), or you had the forsight to get TPD/income protection insurance, then you are subject to the whims of the goverment of the day. Afterall, YOUR/MY tax money was spent the year it was earned, so you probably have to blame Bob Menzies, Harold Holt, Gough, Malcolm for not setting aside your tax dollars for use on you, at a later date.

What little Jonny, Crazy Kev and (monotone) Jules have in the coffers from this working generation is all that they have to work with, and they can spend it how they want...

The peversity in the system is why they introduced personal superannuation accounts in the 80's as well as complusory contributions. Note that this is an important reform, underestimated by most. It is pretty unique in the world (espeically the complusory aspect) and even in the US - home of the free marketeers - issues such as privatising social security in the way Australia has done it is just about political poision.

Note I haven't spoken to the equity of the matter. That is an entirely seperate subject.

But I think it is wise that people understand the system how it is, rather than how they wish it should be or how they imagined it to be.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1