Nine Bodies Found Hanging From Bridge In Mexico Border City

News_Editor

Nine bodies found hanging from bridge in Mexico border city < br /> 2012-05-05 04:19:59 GMT+7 (ICT) NUEVO LAREDO, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- Nine bodies were found hanging from a bridge in a northern Mexico border city on Friday morning, officials said, in what appears to be the latest violence as a result of the country's deadly drug war.At around 1 a.m. local time on Friday, the bodies were found hanging from a bridge in the Mexican border city of Nuevo Laredo, which is located in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas and lies directly across the U.S. city of Laredo in Texas. The bodies, which were identified as five men and four women, were blindfolded and showed signs of torture, according to local authorities. They were hanged from the Colosio bridge which is located at the Colosio Boulevard and National Highway intersection in Nuevo Laredo.A large sign was also found along with the bodies in which alleged criminal members of 'Los Zetas' drug cartel claimed responsibility for the murders, saying the victims were members of the Gulf Cartel. The sign said the killings were carried out because the victims 'heated up the place' and brought the attention of security forces with their attacks.As the Mexican drug war continues, the country's Attorney General office (PGR) has said at least 12,903 drug-related killings were reported between January and September 2011, although figures for the entire year are not yet available. This will likely bring the total figure for 2011 to more than 17,000, the highest annual number yet. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-05-05

Armed by US gun shops/dealers and funded by US consumers of drugs shipped in via/from Mexico, I'm sure the families of the approximate 60,000 killed in Mexico since the start of the conflict there in 2006, think that the "War on Drugs" championed by US governments is a resounding success.

Heaven forbid that the US government might actually look at the question of domestic drug demand (as opposed to just laying it off on the non-voting foreign suppliers), or clamp down on the flow of weaponry (can't upset the NRA in election year's), that's of course when the ATF isn't dishing out weapons to criminals in pathetically flawed "sting" operations.

• Like 1

The war on drugs, like a lot of wars, is far from being a stellar success. I always find it interesting when everyone points the finger at the US. If the US didn't have guns....if the US people didn't like drugs....if the....if the.

What if the police and gov't in Mexico did their job? Oh, I suppose it's the US's fault that the country has an ineffective gov't and a corrupt police force.

• Like 2

The war on drugs, like a lot of wars, is far from being a stellar success. I always find it interesting when everyone points the finger at the US. If the US didn't have guns....if the US people didn't like drugs....if the....if the.

What if the police and gov't in Mexico did their job? Oh, I suppose it's the US's fault that the country has an ineffective gov't and a corrupt police force.

To a large extent it is.

• Like 1

The sign said the killings were carried out because the victims 'heated up the place' and brought the attention of security forces with their attacks.

I suppose the nine torture victims hanging from a bridge won't heat up the place with security force attention much.

Does the US appoint the government of Mexico? Does the US hire the police in Mexico?

It's the drug money, mostly from the US that makes the corruption and the cartels/gang possible.

Does the US appoint the government of Mexico? Does the US hire the police in Mexico?

Does the US supply weapons to these drug gangs? Weapons that have been used in many murders, including at least one American Federal Agent, a border guard. Operation "Fast and furious", which The Obama administration, especially Attorney General Eric Holder are still desperately trying to cover up. To suggest that The US bears no responsibility for the ongoing situation in Mexico regarding the drug cartel related violence is naive in the extreme.

I don't know, but what I do know is that the US government has sold weapons to drugs gangs, how much more involved can they be? A stoned population is an easy population to control. The Brits took China by making opium readily available to the population!

I don't know, but what I do know is that the US government has sold weapons to drugs gangs, how much more involved can they be? A stoned population is an easy population to control. The Brits took China by making opium readily available to the population!

So if the US sold them the ropes, then the US is responsible for the hangings, right?

The cartels can hang people, dispose of the bodies near the police stations and all this is the fault of the US?

The issue of drugs is an international problem. The US shares a responsibility in this problem. Mexico does as well.

• Like 1

So if the US sold them the ropes, then the US is responsible for the hangings, right?

The cartels can hang people, dispose of the bodies near the police stations and all this is the fault of the US?

The issue of drugs is an international problem. The US shares a responsibility in this problem. Mexico does as well.

But the US has just jailed Victor Bout for 25 years for selling weapons that were eventually allegedly used to kill US servicemen! You can't have it both ways.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Let's stay on the topic, which is not about Victor Bout.

True! (but it was a very useful counter argument don't you think ;) )

But these people were hung from a bridge. They weren't shot. I suppose the US government isn't selling them enough ammunition?

Agreed on both counts. We were straying on to the more holistic issue of drug cartel crime in Mexico, for which the US must bear some responsibility. As for these folks rope was probably cheaper (did you know that 9mm bullets cost $1.50 each in Thailand ! )

Let's stay on the topic, which is not about Victor Bout.

True! (but it was a very useful counter argument don't you think wink.png )

But these people were hung from a bridge. They weren't shot. I suppose the US government isn't selling them enough ammunition?

Agreed on both counts. We were straying on to the more holistic issue of drug cartel crime in Mexico, for which the US must bear some responsibility. As for these folks rope was probably cheaper (did you know that 9mm bullets cost $1.50 each in Thailand ! )

I think that you will find that the hangings, together with the 12 people who were decapitated also in Nuevo Laredo, was intended to send a message in a horrifically dramatic way and with far more shock factor than a lead injection. I think the drug lords can just about afford a carton or two of ammunition.

Anyhow it does not shift the situation that the killings are over the ability to transit drugs into the US to meet demand, and the drug gang weaponry is largely supplied from the US. At the last count there are 8000 gun shops along the border and while folk in AZ and NM like their toys that does seem a little generous provision of such suppliers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2011/dec/08/mexico-drug-wars-us-guns

The difficulty that I am having with this thread is that it is about the situation in Mexico, but most of the comments seem to be about the US.

It's true that the movement of drugs into the US is a very big part of the problem, but the murders are in Mexico.

Thus far, very little discussion of what is/isn't being done in Mexico by the Mexican authorities.

The difficulty that I am having with this thread is that it is about the situation in Mexico, but most of the comments seem to be about the US.

It's true that the movement of drugs into the US is a very big part of the problem, but the murders are in Mexico.

Thus far, very little discussion of what is/isn't being done in Mexico by the Mexican authorities.

Sadly the 2 are inextricably intertwined. Drugs move north, cash and guns south. Border towns like Nuevo Laredo are the literal chokepoints.

See map below and article about how it's like stamping on a lump in a carpet....Until the demand equation is addressed there will always be a willing supplier.

http://www.economist.com/node/21540289

Edited by folium

And sadly, no comment about Mexico, the situation in Mexico, what efforts the Mexican government is making....or saying...or doing. That is my point.

(Some of which your link starts to address--thanks).

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Armed by US gun shops/dealers and funded by US consumers of drugs shipped in via/from Mexico, I'm sure the families of the approximate 60,000 killed in Mexico since the start of the conflict there in 2006, think that the "War on Drugs" championed by US governments is a resounding success.

Heaven forbid that the US government might actually look at the question of domestic drug demand (as opposed to just laying it off on the non-voting foreign suppliers), or clamp down on the flow of weaponry (can't upset the NRA in election year's), that's of course when the ATF isn't dishing out weapons to criminals in pathetically flawed "sting" operations.

What you say is very true. Being from Texas I have seen it with my own eyes, but I'm a bit curious as to why you make it sound as if it is America's job to fix this problem. If there were no supply of drugs making it to the border, then dealers would have to go elsewhere for their supply, which of course then would have to dealt with, but if Mexico's police, military and government weren't so corrupt, if they actually took care of their own business then the whole thing would be a non-issue. Contrary to popular belief, it is not America's job to take care of every other countries' problems, be it drugs or anything else. America has done that for too long and look at the shape the country is in. You are a fool if you think that the NRA supports supplying guns to drug cartels and criminals. The war on drugs is never going to be won if OTHER countries, i.e. Mexico and Columbia to name a couple, don't clean their own side of the street and stop depending on others to solve their problems for them.

Corruption won't stop until the money does.

The drug money makes it all possible. If the the buying countries gave cheap dope to anyone who wanted it the cartels would collapse In a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Just like the Mafia disappeared after the end of prohibition.

The connection is inescapable. Stop the war on drugs, and I mean worldwide, not just on the part of the U.S. Then you can dismantle the drugs gangs before they can adjust and gain revenues elsewhere.

I find this hanging business a bit odd.

- The people are usually found hanging from the same bridges. For example, the bridge of Los Lobos located in Tepic, Nayarit, is where you go to hang someone.

- The police wait for "anonymous" calls to go find the dead people.

- These bodies are strung up in plain view of everyone, yet no one sees anything.

One would expect that the police would have the good sense to have a camera or a stakeout team at the bridge. It's always the same bridges. These killers are not one for variety in their selection of venues. I guess they need the right height and sight lines or something.

I have a feeling some of these are killings have local authority involvement. People are fed up and vigelantes are usually a side effect when a country descends into lawlessness.

BTW, the gun sales to the drug dealers do not all come from the USA. Yes, a large number of TRACEABLE firearms are shown to originate in the USA, but most of the firearms are untraceable and are sold by Mexico's friends in Central America or come from the former east bloc countries. The Ukraine and Belarus are suppliers. Of the TRACEABLE firearms, about 70% can be shown to have US origins, while 30% are non USA sourced. The AK47 is one of the more popular weapons and to the best of my knowledge is not sourced from the USA.

For actual numbers on the subject please see the data at atf.gov

Edited by geriatrickid

What you say is very true. Being from Texas I have seen it with my own eyes, but I'm a bit curious as to why you make it sound as if it is America's job to fix this problem. If there were no supply of drugs making it to the border, then dealers would have to go elsewhere for their supply, which of course then would have to dealt with, but if Mexico's police, military and government weren't so corrupt, if they actually took care of their own business then the whole thing would be a non-issue. Contrary to popular belief, it is not America's job to take care of every other countries' problems, be it drugs or anything else. America has done that for too long and look at the shape the country is in. You are a fool if you think that the NRA supports supplying guns to drug cartels and criminals. The war on drugs is never going to be won if OTHER countries, i.e. Mexico and Columbia to name a couple, don't clean their own side of the street and stop depending on others to solve their problems for them.

The flow of drugs does not stop at the border. Many drug gangs increasingly also run the wholesale distribution as well as the trafficking. To supply the market, crossborder flows from Mexico are far easier than via the Carribean so it is the obvious point of entry into the USA.

The problem is obviously not for the USA alone but wherever there is a demand for a product, suppliers will meet it.

Re the corruption of Mexican officials and policemen, the cash rich nature of the business enables the gangs to buy whoever they want and buy whatever equipment (including weaponry) they desire. This cash comes from sales and the weaponry can be relatively simply bought in the US compared to Mexico. As previously noted some weaponry also comes from Honduras and Guatemala and there is some evidence of weapon shopping in the Balkans.

Never suggested that the NRA condones weapon trafficking but the drug gangs are very happy to be able to buy military grade assault weapons and sniper rifles that are legally for sale in the US since the demise of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban in 2004.

The war on drugs has been an expensive, miserable failure which has seen the deaths of tens of thousands in Mexico and elsewhere, the creation of narco states and has barely changed the demand for drugs one jot.

No of course it's not just a problem for the USA but it has a fundamental role to play, but sadly there is little sign of any more farsighted policies appearing anytime soon. Let's just hope that 2012 does not see the Mexican death total for 2011 (a new high of over 17,000) being exceeded.

Blame US, blame NRA, blame politicians, blame Mexico or ???

The reality is these people are frickin animals and have absolute no morals or conscious. They routinely beat people to death with base ball bats, skin people alive and cut off body parts including genetial while people are alive.

There is no way to integrate people like this back into a normal society so no matter what is done, there is no real way to fix the problem. They will be even more vicious, like a pack of wild hungry dogs, if you cut off their money supply. Unfortunately, we have almost an entire culture that is so detuned and desensitized from shocking, egregious, and unacceptable human behaviors there is pretty much no hope of ever rehabilitating or solving the Mexico problem.

I never was for border closing stuff that came from fanatical red neck gun totting NRA white trash until I saw first hand what conduct this culture is capable and accepting of. Seriously, time to shut it down, air drop a lot of small arms weapons and let them solve their own problems. This won't stop unless common man can and is willing to rise up against cartels and take back control of their country. Right now they rely upon US and a corrupt Mexican legal/military force.

US cannot reason with dudes and dudettes who cut off alive victims genitals and heads and skin people alive. Seriously don't want them migrating to US and walking around our streets so only solution is pretty apparent.

Edited by ttelise

BUT, the USA is putting a foothold in a few countries to sort ''their'' stuff out, soooooooo, why not sort stuff out that is on it's door step and a big problem ?