How To Get Started On The Track?

Hi,

Been wanting to take my CBR250r to the tack for a while now. Not really sure how to go about it as I have zero experience. Do any tracks in BKK have open/relaxed track days where I can go round at my own pace? Also how should I prepare my bike?

Bira outside Patts has trackdays. Not usually many people there. You may be the only one some days. Nothing is required to be done to your bike, unlike tracks back home where you have to use water wetter instead of brake and steering fluids, tape up lights and speedo etc.

I suggest you get in touch with at Graham at Highside Tours. http://www.highsidetours.com He does track instruction. Also hit up TV member BigBikeBkk if he doesn't pop in here.

Martin,

No special prep or equipment necessary. The circuit behind Seacon Square has open or practice days also Bira as has been said and probably Kang Kechang (spelling), Thailand Circuit near Nakhom Pathom and the new one behind Kao Yai. Keep your eyes on this forum for dates and simply show up.

The first time can be a bit intimidating as the machinery varies from guys like yourself on street bikes or me on my old stroker through production bikes with track modifications to full on SuperSport bikes. You simply wait until the faster guys are taking a break and then go for it.

Like any journey it begins with the first step and that is just showing up.

the nice thing about track days is - it is not a race, you can go at your own pace and enjoy a safe environment to maybe get to know your bike a little more than on a public road, the only caution is ride within the capabilities of both the bike and you - don't be tempted to push too hard as you see other riders flying past you - they will have vastly superior equipment and know the track better than you.

Not sure about the regulations regarding clothing etc but I'm sure someone will come on here and share - you certaintly don't need MotoGP class equipment if you're just going for a bit of relaxing fun.

the nice thing about track days is - it is not a race, you can go at your own pace and enjoy a safe environment to maybe get to know your bike a little more than on a public road, the only caution is ride within the capabilities of both the bike and you - don't be tempted to push too hard as you see other riders flying past you - they will have vastly superior equipment and know the track better than you.

Not sure about the regulations regarding clothing etc but I'm sure someone will come on here and share - you certaintly don't need MotoGP class equipment if you're just going for a bit of relaxing fun.

Racing IS about pushing hard. The OP obviously wants to push the limits without risking civilians, Soooooooooooooooooo, go for it, if you come off, hmmm, well most have been there. Have fun BUT wear the gear eh. biggrin.png

Martin,

No special prep or equipment necessary. The circuit behind Seacon Square has open or practice days also Bira as has been said and probably Kang Kechang (spelling), Thailand Circuit near Nakhom Pathom and the new one behind Kao Yai. Keep your eyes on this forum for dates and simply show up.

The first time can be a bit intimidating as the machinery varies from guys like yourself on street bikes or me on my old stroker through production bikes with track modifications to full on SuperSport bikes. You simply wait until the faster guys are taking a break and then go for it.

Like any journey it begins with the first step and that is just showing up.

BRC is closed. Land too valuable. Owner has cashed in. Fortunately plenty of other tracks to choose from, but nothing as close as BRC. (but BRC has been in terrible shape for years, so no big loss if you ask me)

Wear good gear, take a lesson if you like or go with guys who can give you some pointers and most important- have fun!

Racing IS about pushing hard. The OP obviously wants to push the limits without risking civilians, Soooooooooooooooooo, go for it, if you come off, hmmm, well most have been there. Have fun BUT wear the gear eh. biggrin.png

Op isn't talking about racing. Gotta learn to walk before you run! And yeah, road or track you gotta plan for coming off or suffer the consequences.

Op isn't talking about racing. Gotta learn to walk before you run! And yeah, road or track you gotta plan for coming off or suffer the consequences.

As soon as your on a track, you are racing, whether doing 30 or 100 mph the rider is racing within or perhaps beyond his/her limit. smile.png

As soon as your on a track, you are racing, whether doing 30 or 100 mph the rider is racing within or perhaps beyond his/her limit. smile.png

Nonsense- there are plenty of people who go to the track simply to practice their skills in a controlled environment and/or just to try something new.

A track day and a race are two completely different things, don't you know that?

Nonsense- there are plenty of people who go to the track simply to practice their skills in a controlled environment and/or just to try something new.

Or mess up their enginecoffee1.gif

Did you damage your bike last time at BIRA? I thought it had just been sitting too long and was in need of a tune-up. 2-strokes don't like to sit!

Did you damage your bike last time at BIRA? I thought it had just been sitting too long and was in need of a tune-up. 2-strokes don't like to sit!

Yes but it didn't get any TLC yet. Expert is too busy.whistling.gif

Bira outside Patts has trackdays. Not usually many people there. You may be the only one some days. Nothing is required to be done to your bike, unlike tracks back home where you have to use water wetter instead of brake and steering fluids, tape up lights and speedo etc.

I suggest you get in touch with at Graham at Highside Tours. http://www.highsidetours.com He does track instruction. Also hit up TV member BigBikeBkk if he doesn't pop in here.

You can use water wetter instead of brake fluid but I hope you're never on the same track as me - 55555

• Like 1

Thanks for the information guys, looking forward to getting started!

On 26th May Bira is open for bikes. I'll be there going slow. If you're ready be there! I can show you round the track.

On 26th May Bira is open for bikes. I'll be there going slow. If you're ready be there! I can show you round the track.

Sorry,not 26th it's the 28th.

I thought someone mentioned Bira is no longer open? I would love to go if possible.

I thought someone mentioned Bira is no longer open? I would love to go if possible.

It's BRC that is not open. Located behind Seacon Square on Sri Narkarin as bigbikebkk pointed out it was in quite poor repair (yes, that's the pits in that bad of condition).

bangna_brc.jpg

Track days are certainly not racing, its about having safe fun, when people start racing that's when they go beyond the limits and accidents will happen,go as slow or fast as you feel comfortable with but take your time, if instruction is available then take it. simple rule is no matter what bike comes up behind you even if its a smaller cc, let it pass don't attempt to race it- is gaining on you so its faster-let it go past.

Have fun.